Any advice on herbal remedies??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jcole, Sep 24, 2003.

1. jcole

jcole New Member

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anybody knew of any good vitamins or herbal supplements to help with fatigue? I was just diagnosed in August with FM. Besides the constant pain(feet especially) I get this instant type of fatigue. It is difficult to explain but will try to. As long as I keep moving and am doing something besides sitting, I don't seem to be to overly tired but as soon as I sit down for a few minutes I get hit with this instant sleepiness that is so overpowering, then after moving and being mildly active it eases up. This is a major concern when it comes to driving, not even a half hour after I start driving I get so tired I can't see straight. My rhuemmy says if I get a goods night sleep and exercise I will be all better. (don't have much hope in him helping me.)Thought I would try supplements but do also have allergies so have to avoid some types.
    Thanks for any advice
    Judy
  2. iamhopeful

iamhopeful New Member

However, my primary care for the past eight months since I was diagnosed has been an O.M.D. (Dr. of Oriental Medicine - or Chinese Med. if you will - although mine is a nice Irish lad). I go every 4-6 weeks, and he examines me and based on my current symtems he prescribes a mix - I call it dirt since it rather resembles dirt. It does seem to help, but I would be careful about taking stuff OTC on my own. It seems to help, I also recommend accupuncture. My OMD works in tandem with traditional medicine and I just started seeing a Dr. who tries to integrate both traditional western medicine and a holistic approach in her practice. HTH.

Cheers,
    iamhopeful
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I do take a lot of vitamins and herbs, but I would suggest that you start with ZMA, its a combination of Zinc, Magnesium and vitamin B-6. It has helped with the fatigue, RLS, spasms, and above all I am now sleeping 7-8 hours deeply every night now.

This alone has helped with the fatigue. If we can get a good amount of deep sleep we are more rested and the fatigue is so much less.

I also take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), with also helps with the fatigue.

But I would suggest that you start with one thing at a time, that way if it does not agree with you, you know what it is right off.

Both these supplements are sold here at Pro Health, you can go to the 'Store' link at the top of this page and read about both of them.

If you decide to try a health food store for the ZMA, be sure you get the brand by SNAC, the other brands do not work, I have tried them.

Again, welcome to the board, and if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask anytime.

Shalom, Shirl