Any Agoraphobics Here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, May 9, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Since the CFS, I started advoiding going places because I felt so bad..Now I have become agoraphobic can not travel more than 20 miles away from home. I had gotten to the point about 2 years ago it was hard for me to leave the house. When I don't feel so bad I can manage now to go around town but to go out of town just scares me so bad..

Not like a panic attack its more of a "what if"..Will I crash, get sick can't get back and on and on...The docs I need to see are out of town but just can't get up the nerve to go...I know I have got to get past this. If I take enought xanax to try to go I shouldn't be driving..

Just wondering if the way to overcome this is to just go and do no matter what...I have no one to take me first of all they don't understand and second everyone works and just to busy..Guess I would be to embarrased if someone did take me and I had a "spell".

Thanks for any input,
    greatgran
  2. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

I understand your situation in regards to not wanting to leave the house. I went through the same thing a few years back. It's always those darned "what ifs" that get you!

The thing that helped me the most was understanding why I became agoraphobic in the first place and then learning how to deal with it and eventually overcome it.

I was able to do this with the help of a little book called "Hope and Help for your Nevers" by Dr. Claire Weekes. She specifically adresses Agoraphobia in this book and she is able to very clearly describe what has happened to you to make you this way and also how to overcome it.

It really helped me. In fact, finding this book was truly a godsend at that particular time in my life. I would bet it would help you to.

Good luck,

fitzh2o