Any at home ideas to help aching tooth

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I'm past due to have my teeth cleaned so I'm not sure if it is throbbing & aching because of that or maybe I have a cracked tooth. Feels like the pain is along my jaw line to my ear.

I've been trying not to eat on that side, keeping it clean and have been rinsing it several times a day with salt water and listerine. Also took a low dose of vicodin.

Going to lay down for awhile on the heating pad.

2. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

Boy , do I know how you feel. My tooth ( molar) has been hurting for a while. I am on a county health plan that doesn't cover dentists at all. I use cloves or clove oil on a piece of cotton ( diluted with cooking oil or it will burn) . This works better than any over the counter stuff for me. If I only have whole or even powdered cloves I hold them in my mouth near the tooth that hurts.

3. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

especially about the possibility of an abcess. If you have one , you don't want to mess around. Getting an abcess can mean infection in your sinuses and ( not to get too dramatic) but also can eventually spread to your brain.

Even though I don't have dental coverage , if I had an abcess , I would go to the free clinic for antiobiotics. I may or may not let them pull it , but the antibiotics would keep it from getting out of hand.

I hope you feel better soon !

4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I would have to agree that a dental appointment is probably needed. There may be some household remedies that can help with pain or cleaning but if there is an infection then you will need the help of a dentist...especially because you don't want it spreading to your sinuses or your brain or your jaw.

Once these infections spread they are very hard to treat because it is not just dealing with the tooth anymore.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]
  5. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have a chipped tooth. It has been causing me a lot of pain. I am thinking about trying the Hydrogen Peroxide
    idea. I don't have the money right now to go to my regular dentist. It isn't like he is expensive but we are really broke because my hubby works but only gets paid once a month. On the 20th, and that doesn,t last long. My son and I get disability him for seizures and me for fms. Luckily because my son is a child ssi doesn't deduct any money from his check but they do from my ssi check so I got a whole 0 dollars this month and my son only got 600 . So now we are broke. I keep trying to decide weather I should get a job or stay on disability every one is saying you can't work even an easy job. I am so sorry Beadlady that I talked about myself and my prolems instead of talking about your probleems but the other thing I try for toothaches is the Maximum strength Anbesol. I put alot more than they say to put, well before I use the anbesol I take an extra pain pill then use the anbesol lay down with a heating pad on and try to go to sleep. Good luck I hope you feel better soon. Gentle Hugs Crispangel
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

the replies

Unfortunately the free clinic here won't be open until Tuesday evening--no way can I wait that long.

The pain is getting worse and now I have a sore throat.

There is an urgent care clinic located at the hospital--maybe I should go there--afraid of a big bill though.
  7. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Beadlady,

There's a forum over at CureZone devoted soley to MMS (chlorine dioxide). There are numerous examples there of MMS doing amazing things for tooth/gum infections and pain.

If you can figure out how to navigate over there, you may find some useful information. MMS would be a low cost approach if you decided to pursue it.

I suspect low-grade gum and tooth infections can have a signficant contributing role for many people with various kinds of chronic health conditions, including CFS and FM.

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]
  8. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

It is possible that you will receive a bill if you go to the hospital but if you are getting worse that may be your only option.

We had to take my roommate to the hospital earlier this year and he ended up with a $700 bill. He called the hospital when he received this bill and they have allowed him to pay it off monthly as to what he can afford...I think he went with $30 a month. Most hospitals are willing to do payment plans.

Just make sure you are thinking more about your health than the money.
  9. Iam1ShadyLady

Iam1ShadyLady New Member

For a toothache is pure vanilla extract. Put it on a cotton swab and hold it to sore spot as often as needed. My hubby had a tooth break off and we didn't have the money to have it pulled and my grandma told him about this and it really works!!! I have a sensitive tooth and it works for that too. Hope this helps. I know what it's like not to be able to go to the dentist.

10. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

The Essential Oil of Cloves or a crushed clove is a powerful painkiller but only use a little right on the tooth and not all around your mouth as it is VERY strong.
    Good luck