Any Big Sewers Out There? Need Help.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pasara, Jul 18, 2008.

1. pasara

pasara New Member

Hi. I have been doing some sewing lately and finding the patterns do not fit well. I am now trying to copy a couple simple dresses I have the fit me perfectly. What I am doing is tracing the pieces and adding seam allowance. It seems pretty straight forward, except for where there are darts. If there are darts, for example at bust line, how much do I add to the fabric I am tracing and where? Anybody know how to do this? Any other tips? Thanks a lot for your help!
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

If you have taken the dresses apart that you are making a pattern for, you should let out the darts too. They are typically an elongated triangle made by folding the fabric in half. If you take out the dart seams, all you need to do is lay the piece flat on your fabric and add the seams as you normally do. Check out one of your patterns to see how darts are handled and this will make more sense.

I was an avid sewer for years and they pattern companies have changed sizing dramatically. I attempted to make a simple shift last year in a size 20 (I was an 18 at the time) and ended up having to cut the 24. Patterns are sized for a perfectly proportioned 5'6" - 5'7" woman. I've been sewing since I was 10 years old and even with all that knowledge, I still have a hard time altering this 'new-fangled' patterns.

I got away from sewing when I went back to work 8 years ago, I just don't have to time or the desire. But I imagine after I've had my surgery and lose a lot of weight, I might have to dig out the old machine and fire her up. I hate to see how much clothes cost. Right now I'm buying stretchy fat clothes from Walmart *L*.

If you have any questions or if this isn't clear, let me know and I'll trying to figure out a better way to describe it.

3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

But when you mentioned big sewers, I thought you were referring to the San Francisco ballot issue on naming the new sewer system after George W. Bush. Kind of a fun ballot to follow, all the humans are all excited about it, even me,.....just a good hilarity and fun fight. Cheers, mr Bill
  4. pasara

pasara New Member

thanks a lot erin. i actually didn't take the dress apart but was trying to make a pattern by tracing and adding seam allowances etc. I get an A for effort and a C for finished product. It is boxy and too big. I decided tomorrow I would try to take it in here and there and see if I can make it wearable. I have not done much sewing, just a few simple patterns when my kids were little. I am trying to teach myself, and let's just say there is a huge learning curve.

My previous project was a McCalls pattern but the sizing was way off for me, so I had to make all sorts of adjustments.

I have read about the George Bush sewer plant and it cracked me up! I am glad that they got it on the ballot!
  5. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

If you can spare one of the dresses, the best way is to carefully remove the thread from all of the seams. Now you have a perfect pattern! Just add 5/8" to all of the cut edges and you can sew as many of those dresses as you like!

Good luck with the alterations.