any books that you have found helpful for fms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mischuv, Jun 18, 2006.

1. mischuv

mischuv New Member

I have read a couple of books regarding fms but I really would like to find something that is recent and actually helpful preferably without heaps of medical jargon in it if you know what I mean... Any ideas??? Anything that you found helpful??? Thanks Sally
  2. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I just bought Fibromyalgia for Dummies on recommendation from a friend here on the board. It's written in plain english, broken into small sections, which makes it easier to read and also besides just discussing almost everything about fm, it also addresses situations on how to deal with the emotions that you, your friends and family all have. There is also a section in there for them to read, so that they will know how to help you deal with this. My hubby is actually reading parts of the book now.

I also bought Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain, a survival manual (second edition)

and The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook (second edition)

I have a lot of myofascial pain and knots all over my back. At first I didn't realize that there were even knots there. I just knew that I was having some of the most horrible pain in my back and nothing seemed to be helping. According to what I have read, these two things (fm and mps) often occur together in many people.

Devin Starlanyl has some really good information on her website about myofascial pain. You can google her and it should be the first site you get in the results. I'm not sure of the exact web address, I just know that it's got the word sover in it. Take a look at that site first and see if you think you might have this too before sinking the money into the last two books.

The Fibro for Dummies book is very basic and I really do like it. I just don't want you to fork over the money for the other 2 if you don't think you actually have the myofascial pain, because the other 2 seem to actually address that more with some of the fibro info also. I was looking for info on the mps when I found these.

I'm also reading "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" which addresses the Guaifenesin Protocol. I'm not sure yet if I'm brave enough to try the protocol, but it has helped me a lot with understanding Dr St. Amand's theory as to what is going on in the body and could be causing this. It has made for some very interesting reading, but let me warn you that these books and my eagerness to learn as much as I can about this has caused me to lose more even sleep because I can't seem to put these books down. I'm still trying to learn to pace myself.

And finally, there is a lot of information to be read here. Not just on the message boards (which have actually been more of a help to me than anything because I can search for what I am specifically looking for) but they also have the library section with a lot of really helpful information and you don't have to pay to read any of these. I sometimes just print them out because it's easier for me to read them that way and I'm not stuck sitting at the computer all day. They also have many back issues listed in the email bulletin archive.

I wish you much success in finding the material that addresses what you are searching for. This website, for me, has been a gift from God. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of information here and everyone is so loving, caring and supportive. I feel like I have found a home, with an entire world of people that understand what I am dealing with and are willing to share many of their trials and triumphs and their personal stories.

Good luck and gentle hugs,
    mrsjethro
  3. mischuv

mischuv New Member

I have read fibromyalgia for dummies and found it the best so far but just wanted to know if there were any other good books around. I to have also found that reading this site is helpful but I find it really hard to read the info of computer screens (this is with any info I think it's just reading of the screens that's the problem) so tend to only do it for short periods therefore not getting to read to much...
    I will have a look at the myafascial (sp?) pain books though to might be of some interest given that whenever you mention pain to the dr it's always put straight down to the fms without any investigation.

Thanks again Sally
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

There is a new book out that seems to fit what you are looking for. It is Hope and Help for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, by Dr Alison Bested. It is just out and it so clear and comprehensive. It is easy to understand with many wonderful, practical ways to help and heal.

Kathy.
  5. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

the fibromyalgia healing diet