Any Canadians on CYMBALTA????????URGENT!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Sep 22, 2005.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I really would like to try Cymbalta, but my pharmacist has never even HEARD of it, before I told her and she looked up on her hand held computer thingy! It isn't approved in Canada yet, as far as I know.
    My question is, is there any Canadians out there who are taking it? IF yes, where did you get it, and how did you get your dr to precsribe it?
    I need info a.s.a.p!
    Thanks!
    Raz
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

I googled it, Raz, and it appears that it has not been approved here yet. The drug company has put in a request for approval to Health Canada but, unless the info I found was out of date, it doesn't seem to have happened yet.

This is so frustrating, isn't it? There have been other things that I have wanted to try but cannot get it because it can't get by Health Canada.

Good luck.
    Pepper
  3. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

shows it isn't available yet, but was wondering is someone some how "beat the system" and managed to get it.
    Bumping for more input!
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

5. pepper

pepper New Member

If you really want to try this, if your doctor is willing, s/he would be able to request it on an "Emergency Drug Release". My doctor has done this for a few things such as Oligosol Lithium (which Health Canada still has not approved) as well as Melatonin (which I think is still in Health Canada Limbo too).

Pepper
  6. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I'd buy and perscription drugs on line especially if I don't have a perscription. WAY too many risks in that.
    Good idea, pepper, how has this worked for you? Was the doctor cooperative, or did you have to twist his/her arm? Did you have to pay extra costs, etc? BTW- you can buy melatonin at the health food stores.
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

I did not know that Melatonin was available here now. I have been ordering it from ProHealth and was worried that they wouldn't let it across the border. But my doctor has been getting it for years even before it was legal here.

I haven't had to twist my doctor's arm because he is the one who suggested these treatments in the first place. I don't know how big a deal it is for them to make the Emergency Drug Release request. My CFS doctor is not afraid of bucking the system so he had no problem doing it.

But the fact that Health Canada did allow it makes me think that it is do-able.

Pepper
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

talk to my doc about this when I see him on the 7th. Thanks for the help, pepper! :)
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

10. sirensinger

sirensinger New Member

I just in clean up mode from a very dangerous reaction to Cymbalta. So though it Can be good, it can make you very very very anxious. I am not sure if it has been good for others but I just met with my M.D. and she has had 3 patients end in psych wards for it as well as a number of people I;ve talked to onlince. If you have any history of mental illess whatsoever in your family, I would steer clear and look at other options. Ultram is a prescription pain pill which has a similar effect to Cymbalta and has been around for a while. It does effect Seratonin and norepinephrine uptake which helps with myalgia and neuorologica muscle disorder. They are just started me on Strattera which ironically is for ADHD but does the same thing as Cymbalta. THe only difference is less side effects and no effect on Seratonin, just the norepinephrine. Good Luck!
  11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

strattera? humm, food for thought!
    Thanks