Any cooks or chefs? Have a question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by elliespad, May 8, 2007.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

I want to make a recipe that call for Very Dry White Wine but I want to substitute with something, as I can't tolerate sulfites. My son says even cooking Sherry will have sulfites. What should I substitute?
  2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

White Wine - Water, chicken broth, vegetable broth, white grape juice, ginger ale, white grape juice.

Sweet White Wine - White grape juice plus 1 tablespoons Karo corn syrup. (Substitute equal amount of liquid.)

Hope it helps. I don't like wine period so I'm glad you asked, now I know what to use as substitutes.

3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I found this on the web.
    people indicating that the following wineries may produce wine that claim to be "sulfite free." If this is important to you, you should directly with these producers:

Organic Wine Works, Felton, California. Entire line of reds and whites
    Chateau Le Barradis, Monbazillac, France.

Substitutes for dry white wine that will not alter the taste white grape juice OR apple juice OR apple cider OR chicken broth plus lemon juice OR clam juice (in seafood recipes) OR water . I'd really check the label to ensure that the particular brand is sulfite free.

4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I made the recipe without the wine, or any substitutions. Was still DELICIOUS. Made Moms Garlic Shrimp.

Thanks for all the ideas. I have Molybdenum and take it when I accidentally sulfite or MSG myself. Doesn't do much, but is a tiny help.

Thanks for all the ideas.