Any Diet Advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Jan 31, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I was wondering if anyone had any diet changes or advice that they found effective, and maybe even post some recipes or a link for some recipes for me to try. I'm determined to try alternatives before the drugs....well, except for the .5 Lorazepam at night....a girl's gotta get a little sleep. It took me over a year of not sleeping just to take that.

And I've read conflicting stuff about the exercise, how much is too much or is it different with everyone. I go for walks on good days, but pay the price after.

Sue
  2. Daisys

Daisys Member

Sue, I started by cutting out all processed foods, so I guess you could say I'm on a whole foods diet. I was having so much trouble I went for awhile with just salads, veggies, nuts, seeds, fruit, and meat. Whenever I tried to add grains back, I got severe reactions, so I think I'm gluten sensitive. I do use quinoa and rice, etc. But also, diebetes runs in my family so I'm careful not to eat too much starchy and sugary stuff. I sub rice protein powder and whey protein powder for flour in baking and it works pretty well. I use artificial sweeteners, especially stevia. Also, I'm careful to stay away from trans fats. It's challenging, but if you shop on the edges of the grocery store and try to avoid the center aisles, you'll end up with a 'real food' diet. Guess it depends on your health concerns. My change in eating helped me reduce my weight, acid reflux and also I see improvement in my skin. Hope this helps. ~ Daisy
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Eat all of the following--best food in the world--it's great:

* Ice Cream
    * Chocolate
    * Donuts

YUMMY!!! LOL
  4. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I'm feeling better eating mostly raw fruit and vegetables and drinking a lot of water and green tea, cherry juice seems to help also.
  5. Daisys

Daisys Member

Sue, I just saw you asked about exercise too. I always heard to use only half of your estimated energy and let half go into healing. Easy to say! I only know I've overdone it after I've overdone it!
    Also, I want to elaborate on how beneficial my whole foods way of eating has been. When I eat grains I get a full range of pain back, that includes headache, acid reflux, muscle aches, and joint pain. It seems to be an autoimmune response--the joint pain shows up 3 days after eating wheat.
    As for the blood sugar prob--if I eat sugar and/or too much starchy foods, I get very hungry and it sets up a cycle of hunger and eating that really packs on the pounds.
    After cutting out the starches and sugar, I have cravings for a day or two till finally I'm back in control of appetite. I love being able to go 4-5 hours between meals without hunger nagging me.
    So, take what helps you from this and ignore it if it doesn't fit your situation..
  6. millennia

millennia New Member

Someone else on the board mentioned calcium pyruvate for energy levels. And while my energy levels have improved to some extent since I started it, my sugar cravings just dropped! I used to get sick and light headed if I didn't eat every few hours, now I can go as long as other people. I've lost at least 15 pounds (I don't own a scale, so I only weight myself about once a month) and I feel better! You might want to look into it. And of course eat right and exercise. But we all know how hard it is to eat right when your body is telling you that you should sacrifice anything for that twinkie!!!

And for those days when the sugar craving just won't go away. I love no pudge ice cream bars, they are huge and low fat and high fiber! And so yummy.

[ advertisement ]