Any doctor suggestions for Portland, Oregon?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepyinlalaland, Sep 20, 2006.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

My daughter is a college student in Portland. She also suffers from a plethora of issues common to CFS/FM. Her biggest handicap now is dealing with poor sleep and a greatly delayed sleep cycle.

I would like her to get some relief, as this has been a problem since middle school, and I don't believe common advice (sleep hygiene) is going to be useful ...she gets plenty of exercise, does yoga and eats healthily. Taking pharmaceuticals is not a good answer, but I beleive it may be her only answer. She used to have a doctor who prescribed a small amount of Xanax which was helpful and she took them sparingly.

She could go to the student health service, but she feels that they would not be likely to prescribe sleep medication for her. Anyone have suggestions for a doctor or clinic (financial resources are limited) that might be helpful? She also suffers from anxiety and has had severe panic attacks in the past.
  2. padre

padre New Member

Oregon Health Science University is one of the top three or four medical schools on the west coast. It is located in Portland on top of the hill. They have a department working on FMS and CFS as well as a nationally recognized pain clinic. You can go on their website for more information and then call.

As a medical school and research center, mention the financial situation up front, and they should make arrangements.

I have heard nothing but good about them.
    --Padre
  3. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I am very encouraged by that suggestion, and I will call them.