any drug suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by theimpossibleflute, Dec 2, 2002.

1. theimpossibleflute

theimpossibleflute New Member

My rheumatologist recently had me try Flexeril (Flexevil? I can't remember) and something in the amitriptiline family. Neither worked and he has no more suggestions. I know my primary care physician doesn't have much experience with the disease. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or does someone know any good fibro doctors in Massachusetts? Preferably in the Boston/Worcester area. Thanks!
  2. theimpossibleflute

My rheumatologist recently had me try Flexeril (Flexevil? I can't remember) and something in the amitriptiline family. Neither worked and he has no more suggestions. I know my primary care physician doesn't have much experience with the disease. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or does someone know any good fibro doctors in Massachusetts? Preferably in the Boston/Worcester area. Thanks!
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Were you prescribed Flexeril, and Amitriptyline, to improve sleep? Flexeril is a muscle relaxer, and Amitriptyline is an anti-depressant. Some with FM/CFS find that low doses help improve sleep. I tried both with no success...am now taking klonopin.
    Go to the top of this page to the purple tab which says "Doctor Referral"....there are a number of good sounding Docs listed in Massachusetts. Finding someone that treats alot of Fibro/Cfs Patients, and keeps abreast of the research is really a huge help. Good luck.
    Karen
  4. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

He has no more suggestions?! There's a whole other class of drugs that putz could "suggest". He's one of the chicken doctors. Leave him. Try a pain clinic. There you will get many,many alternatives. Duragesic patch, Oxycotin, Vicoden, Klonipin, Ultram, tigger point injections. The list goes on forever. I get some relief from Flexeril I'm afraid. But I also have Ultram. It doesn't work great but does take the edge off. Your Rheumy is afraid of class X drugs. He's worthless. Find a good pain doc. good luck, N
  5. cls

cls New Member

Did you get back to the rheumatologist about lack of response from the medication. The amitriptyline takes a long time to have an effect at least one month. The flexeril should help your sleep and muscle spasms. Prescribing meds for FM is trial and error, so you have to be patient while your rheumy tries different meds. Can't help with FM docs in the Boston area--I live in NJ. Good luck
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

My first question for you is are you sleeping well at night? Do you awake feeling refreshed or like a Mack truck paid another visit? I think the first thing that needs to be addressed with FM is sleep. One that is under control you can address the pain and other things that may be causing you pain. Your pain will not improve until your body is getting proper sleep to help it heal.

While the two drugs you mentioned could be used for sleep, if they didn't work it's time to try something else. I take a combination of things for sleep. I use Klonopin, which also helps with restless legs, TMJ, teeth grinding, among other things. In addition I take Trazadone which is an antidepressant, but works far better at helping maintain sleep. Then I take Flexeril and Neurontin.

Many people here use supplements to help them sleep. ZMA is among the popular ones. I personally do not use it, but I do use magnesium, which is a part of it.

Obvioulsy you need help with a pain reliever. I believe some others have given you suggestions for that. In my opinion you should first find a good doc to treat you and if you aren't satisfied after that, look into a pain clinic.

Most people with our syndromes are deficient in Magnesium, so that is a good place to begin, while you are looking for a new doc. The store here has high quality supplements and great prices. You can also read about the supplements in our library. The store has direct links to the library which makes it easier to figure out what you want and which is best.

No matter who your doc is you need to educate yourself about what is wrong with you. In addition to the articles here there are some great books on the market which I have found very helpful. For FM I recommend Devin Starlanyl's Fibromylgia Survivor's Manual (?). Mark Pellegrino has written a book, but I like Devin's better, it's more informational. If you have CFS you should get From Fatigued to Fantastic. Actually it has info for both CFIDS and FM, Jacob Tietlebaum is the author. I've been using it a lot recently to explore changing some of my supplements. All these authors are doctors and in addition they suffer from our syndromes.

Barbara
  7. theimpossibleflute

Thank you all for your prompt replies!!!
    No, I am not sleeping well at night and yes, the drugs I tried were prescribed for the sleep. I have looked into some doctors on the doctor referral page and will pursue that tomorrow. I have Starlanyl and Copeland's book of FM and have been perusing that, too. Thank you and I'll keep you posted!!!!!
    Abby
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are in the same family even though one is an antidepressant and one is a muscle relaxant. Both can cause rapid weight gain. I tried both and put on 40 pounds. Neither helped me much.

I take Klonopin and it has helped me enormously. It is an antiseizure medication which helps us sleep, helps with RLS, anxiety, and sensory overload. You can read about it in our library in an article written by Dr. Cheney.

Love, Mikie
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

from Klonopin, Soma, Mobic, Neurontin, Vicodin and Ultram for the longest time.....Now, I must take Oxycontin for Spinal Stenosis pain which is so severe I am having to take 3-4 of the Oxy IR in addition to the routine Oxycontin twice daily. I haven't a clue as to whether the spinal stenosis can possibly be related to my Fibro, but the pain is in my buttock and leg and on a scale of 0-10 mine is up to a 9 at times. I have just been put on leave of absence from working as a nurse for 27 years. I thought I'd die when I was told this, but I KNOW that I couldn't stand an hour of the work I did with this pain. When it hit, it hit hard.
    The a.m. FMS pain consists of achey, stiff and sore muscles and the p.m. pain is from just from over-doing the activities of daily living; albeit, my ADL's are quite limited in comparison to most people's. I learned to try to pace myself a long time ago. I am in the house at supper time and there is no night-life for us. We do not entertain and we make no promises to anyone, as I never know what the next day will bring. We live a boring, quiet, isolated life and I love it!! I am so thankful that I got my kids raised before the pain got this bad! The flares were yearly at first, then, they came more often, but I was usually able to have a little fun with friends in between flares. This started with entirely different symptoms 27 years ago~~I really didn't have pain then, just the strange symptoms we've all discussed here. Doctors hadn't a clue what my problems were! At least they have a little clue now, but they still don't know anything except to treat it symptomatically. Maybe we're making progress, though! Make sure to read all about the supplements we take. They can be much better than prescription meds, although I haven't met a doctor yet who will agree with me on that! Flexeril and Elavil (among other drugs) put LOTS and LOTS of weight on this body, which makes the pain and the depression much worse. Be informed and make wise choices and don't just take the doctor's word as the gospel....they, too, have a lot to learn and many are stuck in the dark ages and this stuff baffles them.
    Read and learn!
    Love,
    Kady