Any experience with Golden Rule health ins,?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justjanelle, Oct 13, 2005.

1. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

We're going to have to change health carriers soon, and I wondered if anyone here had experience to share about Golden Rule Health Insurance?

Or do you have experience with any other health carriers (good/bad/indifferent) that you can either recommend or advise against?

Really need some help on this!

Thanks!

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Here is a good website to go to and then you can get objective views on different carriers:

health-insurance-carriers dot com

Here's is a short quote from the site on "Golden Rule":

"Golden Rule offers three flexible health care plans. Their Health Savings Account (HSA) Plans combine network discounts, tax advantaged savings account, and a low cost/ high deductible health insurance plan. The High Deductible Plans are an excellent choice for those interested in lower premiums and higher responsibility for payment of health care costs. Co-pay Plans are ideal for those who enjoy the convenience offered by the co-pay option.

Golden Rule’s new Saver Plans are the cream of the crop. These plans can be incorporated into any of their three health insurance plans and offer inpatient coverage and out patient coverage for high price care costs like CAT scans and MRIs. Ask eHealthInsurance about Golden Rule’s HSA SaverSM, Saver 80SM, and Copay SaverSM for more details.

Also new to the fold is Golden Rule’s Optional Preventive Care Benefits Package. This plan provides for up-front coverage for preventive care as well as coverage for the more expensive health care expenses, all for a lower premium.

Also available are Short Term Medical and Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans. Golden Rule Insurance is a subsidiary of United HealthCare."

I have Blue Shield PPO and really appreciate the coverage.

Also, I've had Blue Cross and it's just about the same as Blue Shield.

I was curious about "Golden Rule" and read the comments. Sounds pretty good.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  3. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Thanks for the help --- I'd never heard of that website, but it looks like they have a lot of useful information there. I'll be spending some time there this morning to check out some of the other options.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  4. lilione

lilione New Member

I couldn't get insurance with them due to FM. A friend of mine had them, and missed something on the form, and they denied her coverage for a particular incidence.
    Tread softly, Lili
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The organization which rates insurance companies. You can contact your state insurance commissioner's office to find out how many complaints have been raised against them. When I was an agent, Golden Rule did not have very good ratings.

All insurance companies are reinsured with other insurance companies, so their financial standing isn't as important as how many people have complained against them.

United HealthCare, which is one of the most financially healthy insurance companies, has been fined for late payment of claims.

Blue Cross Blue Shield is not one big national company but rather a bunch of smaller companies under the BCBS umbrella. If someone in one area says BCBS is good, it does not necessarily mean it is good elsewhere.

Another way to check is to ask to speak to the persons at the docs' offices who deal with these insurance companies. If one company is bad, those people will know about it. Good luck.

BTW, you didn't mention whether this is through work or not. Usually group coverage is not underwritten and, therefore, pre-existing conditions are not germane.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/15/2005]
  6. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

No, this is going to be an individual(family) policy, based on just starting up a new business ourselves.

We want to find something that's reasonably priced, but that will also pay on claims when we need medical care.

Apparently, these 2 wishes don't really go together!

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Different states have different laws for group insurance. In FL, they allow groups of one which means that a self-employed individual can be insured without underwriting. One has to have been in business for at least a year and be profitable. This means that one cannot file a tax return with deductible expenses which show a loss. A copy of the Schedule C must be submitted to prove eligibility. This also means that one cannot start up a business and get group insurance right away.

If it were me, I would speak to a broker who knows the laws in your state and can help you. Any insurance which is not underwritten is more expensive because of the increased risk. On the other hand, individual policies, which are underwritten, can be rated up for pre-existing conditions and these conditions can be excluded from coverage. The insurance companies can also turn one down.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]