ANY experience with NEURONTIN anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb06, May 21, 2006.

1. deb06

deb06 New Member

I just went on it for help with both my chronic pain and for my increasing problems with anxiety. I am already on 200 mg zoloft and on what should be adequate pain meds. Although my anxiety often overrides my medications.]

The Physiatrist that that this would be good for both my main problems.

Is there anyone with similiar problems who have been prescribed neurontin, and what is your experience. Has it been helpful?!

Thanx,
    Deb
  2. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

I can't imagine what Neurontin would do to ease any anxiety issues. Nuerontin was initially made for epilepsy, but "they" have found out it also is good for nerve pain. I myself use it for FMS and re-occurant shingles.

As far as anxiety, I use to have it and I was perscribed xanax. I'm sure some more people will jump in and help.
  3. thepkk

thepkk Guest

I have been on it for years. I first started taking it for migrains and it was like a miracle pill for me then. I am on a larger dose now that I have fm but it helps with the muscles from spasms. Good luck hope it helps you as much as me. As far as my nerves I take prozac,xanax, and cymbalta. Seems like alot. I still have alot of pain.
  4. Treca

Treca New Member

for 3 months now. It works so very well for me. I take the max dose and with the help of Tramadol and Bacolfen my pain is 99.9% eased. The only time I feel pain is when I over do it. So I'm training myself to take it easy and know my limits.

This is the first time I've ever had to ton down my activities so it's taking some getting use to.

The only problem I have had so far with Neuronitin was on the first day I took it I was loopy and dizzy. It was like I was very very drunk. Thank goodness I didn't need to go anywhere that day..LOL. After the first day I was fine and haven't had any episodes like that since I started the Neuronitin

I consider myself very luck to have this med working so well for me and I pray that others will find the relief I get from this meds as well.
  5. mary124

mary124 New Member

I was on it for awhile for back pain, but my doctor took me off of it last year, when he put me on Topamax. Said since they are in the same class of meds, they don't mix.
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

It did not work after I took it for a while.I take 3 zoloft a night.I also take Lodine which is helping with the pain but it still is breaking through at every 5 hours.
  7. Bren5

Bren5 New Member

I've been taking Neurontin for over 5 years for nerve pain due to MS. It has helped me with anxiety as well.
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

My daughter is on Neurontin for anxiety problems amoung many others. And it is helping her.

In fact I was surprised to hear that it's used for pain issues and I learned that here.

It sounds like your doc was trying to find one medication to help with both of your problems and maybe this will be the one. Hope so...

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  9. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

I never knew that Nuerontin is used for anxiety also. I guess it is one of those drugs that has a long list of uses. Those kind usually make me nervous, but I know my doctor won't let me get off it.
  10. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

hi there!
    i've been on neurontin for a couple of years for headaches. i take 300mg three times a day.it really is the thing that made the biggest differnce in the daily headaches i get, i take it in combination with topamax. aside from being a little bit tired when i frist started taking it, i think it has been a wonder drug for me with almost no side effects. i would say that it is definitly wirth a try for your issues as it could benefit you greatly. i hope this helps.
    rachel
  11. deb06

deb06 New Member

I am so glad to here some people on here new this drug for the treatment of anxiety. This was what a top notch pshychiatrist prescribed me for primarily my anxiety and secondarily my pain as an added bonus. But my anxiety is what we were treating. my Pharmisist did not even realize its benefits for anxiety. It has not been ok'd by the ADA for these purposes yet I guess, and that is why many people do not know all this drug is good for.

All your experiences and advice have been VERY helpful, Thanx, Deb
  12. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

I was on it for close to 2 years. I kept telling the doctor it wasn't doing a thing for me and instead of taking me off of it he ust kept raising my dose to the point where I was on 4 8oo mg pills a day which is a total of 3200 mgs a day which was a ridiculously high amount from what I have heard. After a while I actually started to wean myself off of it. One less pill every few weeks since for some reason he didn't seem to want to.