Any experts on Growth Hormone tests?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sindy-Uk, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

I recently had a test for Growth hormone defficiency through one of the London labs. I have had Cfs for the last 18 years but had a bad relapse about 4 months ago. Since then I decided to have all the possible tests.
    Anyway my results look like this:-
    Somatomedin -C (IGF-1) 35.36 nmol/1 16.1-40.7
    IGF BP-3 3.6 mg/1 1.8-3.5
    Looking at it, it seems to me that it looks to be on the higher side of normal range. I thought cfs/fm patients had GH deficiency. Does any one know what this means. He has asked me to make an appointment to discuss the results. But I want to wait for my PCR tests for mycoplasmas and also the Rnase-L test which will be in few weeks time.
    I would appreciate if someone could throw some light on it.
    Many thanks in advance

Satin
  2. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

I recently had a test for Growth hormone defficiency through one of the London labs. I have had Cfs for the last 18 years but had a bad relapse about 4 months ago. Since then I decided to have all the possible tests.
    Anyway my results look like this:-
    Somatomedin -C (IGF-1) 35.36 nmol/1 16.1-40.7
    IGF BP-3 3.6 mg/1 1.8-3.5
    Looking at it, it seems to me that it looks to be on the higher side of normal range. I thought cfs/fm patients had GH deficiency. Does any one know what this means. He has asked me to make an appointment to discuss the results. But I want to wait for my PCR tests for mycoplasmas and also the Rnase-L test which will be in few weeks time.
    I would appreciate if someone could throw some light on it.
    Many thanks in advance

Satin
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Who are on the hgh injections. I would imagine that they have been through the testing process and could help you. One of them comes here rarely now, but I hope she sees this and responds.

Love, Mikie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Where are our Hgh experts?

Love, Mikie
  5. nell-UK

nell-UK New Member

Satin...

My recent GH tests were very very high, way beyond what is normal. I too couldn't understand this until I had the IGF BP-3 test done which was also at the top of the range.

What I was told is that the IGF BP-3-is the binding protein for growth hormine and because it is high it means that you are not utilising the growth hormone. Your body is producing it in massive amounts to compensate for this but it is not being taken up by the receptor sites if you know what I mean.

The solution for this is to actually take Growth hormone even though it seems we have too much, we don't. The problem lies I believe with the pituatory gland not doing what it should, and there being some kind of blockage along the way stopping the receptor sites from working. Now in my case I believe this is caused by mercury blocking these, with you it could be something else, I don't know, all I can tell you is what I've been told.

I am not going to have GH injections but a segratogue(sp) called Trans D-Tropin, if you do a search on it on the net there is a lot of info, it is believed to be very good stuff.

Have you changed Doctors? Or is the one you were using doing the micoplasma and RNase-L tests?

Take care,

Love Nell
  6. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

Thanks for responding. Yes, you are correct. I have started seeing Dr Hyams. My previous doctor at the Chronic fatigue/FM clinic followes Dr Teitelbaum's protocol and I was going through my insurance. But she thinks it is a waste of money to have any more tests yet and that I should carry on with the supplements. Since I was not really getting much better and I was desperate, so I decided to see Dr Hyams.
    He thinks that my immune system is overactive. The prick test for allergies was negative. My blood under the microscope showed that the blood is sticky and there seems to be a lot of bacteria and toxins. He thinks I am at stage 2 of cfs. The tests he has reccommended are:-
    1)Viral serology for EBV, HHV6 and CMV
    2) Kelmer mercury challenge test
    3) PCR testing for Mycoplasma screening and Chlamydia pneumonia and RNasel
    4) Growth hormone and female hormone panel
    5) QEEG.
    I have decided to have all the above except, I want to wait for the QEEG, because it is quite expensive around £800.00.
    It is a pity I could not see him and have the above tests done on my insurance, but I do think he is worth it. He seemed to make alot of sense. I am going on one month holiday next friday to India. I might try some homeopathic and complementry treatment over there. I will probably not be able to discuss my results with him until mid December. I will post as the results come through to discuss them with you guys. Thankyou for explaining the results to me as I was quite confused. Have you had the tests for the mycoplasmas and RNasel yet? And what were your results if you did?
    Anyhow, thanks again for responding and I shall speak to you soon.

Love
    Satin
  7. nell-UK

nell-UK New Member

Hello!

I'm glad you are now getting the tests you need even if you are having to pay!!

Good luck in India, I have been a few times and love it, wish I could eat the food now though, that will be the first thing I have when I have cleared up my allergies I miss it so much :)

Anyway I did have the RNase-L test done years ago, mine came back very high, hence me going on Ampligen for 14 months, by then it was back to normal, haven't had the mycoplasma test done though. I am now at stage 3 though and one thing that is really different is that my blood no longer clumps together when under the microscope :) I'm sure he will find the correct immune modulator for you, although it is good you don't have many allergies.

Have a great break and if you want to e-mail when you get back here is my addy....nell_UK2002@yahoo.com

Take care,

Love Nell.

P.S. Forgot to add I was also positive for HHV6 which has now gone.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2002]
  8. sb439

sb439 New Member

Dear Satin,
    I'm another patient of Dr Hyams. I did the Kelmer challenge test (before I became a patient of his), and as a result felt incredibly horrible for 10 days. (and when I say incredibly horrible I mean incredibly horrible.) There's also a mention in one of Cheney's articles of DMSA challenge tests (which is what the Kelmer test is), and that they may do some damage to the brain of CFIDS patients. I don't want you to get worried, but also don't want you to feel horrible. If you wish you can tell Ian Hyams that his patient Susanne from the US has told you this. I assume the test Nell did won't have side effects?
    love,
    Susanne
  9. sb439

sb439 New Member

Hi Nell, it's good to see you posting again. How's your health?
    love,
    Susanne
  10. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

Nell,
    thanks for your email add, I have made a note of it and I will email you soon. Regarding allergies, I do have alot of food allergies. Over the years I have had many different type of allergy tests(VEGA, hair analysis, cytotoxic and recently the Alcat test). All of them show that I am sensitive to numerous amounts of foods. Almost all of them say wheat and dairy. The latest Alcat test says- garlic, ginger, turmeric, dairy, sugar from sugar beet and millet amongst others. I haven't actually started following the elimenation diet yet. You probably know that garlic, ginger and turmeric goes in most of our curries and it could be a little difficult to give up. I will probably start when I get back from India. Regarding the viral serology tests-
    HHV-6 : No serological evidence of HHV-6 in the specimen.
    CMV- comment: result suggestive of previous CMV infection.
    EBV- Result suggestive of past (latent) EBV infection.
    He wants to discuss results of CMV and EBV. May be these infections triggered my ME and I dont have the infection any more. What are your allergies Nell?

Susanne,
    Thanks for letting me know about the kelmer challenge test. I was going to do that next Tuesday. On Thursday I was planning the Female Hormone Panel test. Then on Friday I fly.I also start my Malaria tablets this week. I dont really want to feel unwell on my journey because it is a long journey and it is very tiring for me anyway. I wonder if I should wait until I come back from my trip.I will speak to Dr Hyams about it.
    If either of you get chance please email me on ssk401@hotmail.com

Take care
    Love Satin

[ advertisement ]