Any feedback on FFC in Boston/Waltham?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jnwieder, Oct 17, 2006.

1. jnwieder

jnwieder New Member

I'm going to the free patient seminar in the Waltham, MA FFC tonight. I've read lots of posts on other centers, both bad and good. Anyone had experience with this new center?
    Thanks!
  2. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

I am in Florida now and plan to go back home to Boston in a few more weeks to visit with my family, as soon as I feel more comfortable with my new ailment, Costo. ..HURT REALLY BAD. TO SAY THE LEAST. DR. GAVE ME SHOTS IN RIB AREA LAST MONDAY AND DOING SOMEWHAT BETTER....OUCH-OUCH-OUCH!!

I plan on going to see what is actually all about. Please, would you kindly post and let me know about it? I really would appreciate any info on them.

Fibro sufferer for 9 years.

Eileen

3. KTAYLOR351

KTAYLOR351 New Member

The Dr. isn't exactly warm and fuzzy but hopefully they can do something for me. It took a while to make the decision to go but I have eliminated some of the prescription meds I'm taking which has made me happy but I have only gone once but I should get my lab work back in my next appointment next week. Let me know what you think after the seminar. I did the one in Boston with other people lecturing.
  4. jnwieder

jnwieder New Member

I took a friend with me who is a pathologist. I figured she could give me a read on the medical jargon, treatments, etc. We both really liked the doc, Dr. Bial. She has an excellent background with several highly regarded New England institutions such as BU and Harvard. We liked some of the things she said about the treatments and her approach to each patient. She has a fairly conservative approach, befitting of a New England sensibility. In response to my question about other patients (some on this board) who experienced several months of feeling worse, Dr. Bial said she would never let it go that long before changing the course of treatment.

The cost is fairly high, especially since my insurance will only cover prescription drugs and hopefully the labs, but not the IV's, supplements or doctor visits. I will probably do at least the first three appointments and see what the lab work tells us and what her recommended treatments will be. I can reass the situation at that time.

Hope that helps.
  5. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

Thanks everyone for your info. and input on this FCC. Is there anything else I should know?

Eileen
  6. yodasmom

yodasmom New Member

I met the dr at Dt. T et al in Boston and whe seemed very nice. I have gone to so many other smaller centers in BostonI hate to do all this again but I am still open to it. I am looking for trigger point therapy. Let me know if you see if they do it there?
    Good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2006]
  7. yodasmom

yodasmom New Member

Any more feedback on FFC in Waltham/Boston? What other local docs have you tried for help?
  8. jnwieder

jnwieder New Member

Had my first appt. at the Waltham FFC. I agree that the dr. isn't warm and fuzzy, but seems competent and approaches treatment conservatively, which is fine with me. She diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue even though I was previously diagnosed with FMS. She explained that it's all a spectrum and the treatment doesn't differ too much - it's all individualized based on my CURRENT symptoms and lab work. I go back in a few weeks to review my labs.

The first thing we're working on is better sleep hygiene: same bed time and wake time EVERY day, including weekends; dim lighting 1 hr. before bedtime and NO NAPS EVER! That's the hardest part for me, especially during the afternoon slump! I'm also using their Rest and Restore in addition to my current meds for sleep.

She recommended CORvalenM, but they were out of stock. Has anyone used this product and what was your experience?

What about daily energy infusion? Any one had experience with that?
  9. Tiggereh

Tiggereh New Member

Hi there,

I have been a patient at the FFC Waltham since May, and they have made a dramatic difference in my well-being.

Corvalen M is a powder that you mix with a drink (juice, crystal light, what have you) and it helps with energy and muscle problems. It has made the biggest difference for me of any of the meds they've prescribed. The sleep regimen is great, and if you continue to have issues, they may move you to something such as Ambien but I really appreciate her willingness to try non-medicinal things first.

Good luck! I hope they make a great difference for you too!

Elizabeth
  10. jnwieder

jnwieder New Member

Thanks for the report, Elizabeth. I just ordered the CORvalenM from a website - much cheaper than at the FFC! Hopefully I won't need to nap if this product gives me more energy.

I find that staying away from the computer screen an hour before bedtime really helps. I thought it was the stimulation from whatever I was reading onscreen, but it's actually the amount of light that signals the brain that it's not night time! Who knew?
  11. shnopee

shnopee New Member

Hi Yodasmom -

Saw your post regarding looking for trigger point therapy in Boston and was wondering if you've found any yet? I would prefer finding a body worker who specializes in trigger point therapy, not the trigger point injections. Unfortunately, all the massage therapists I've found who claim they do trigger point therapy don't really when you ask them specifically about it and it is getting quite cost prohibitve to keep doing trial and error and finding out that they don't really do it.
  12. shnopee

shnopee New Member

Hello everyone -

I found this thread and there have been mention of the treatments being expensive and was wondering if anyone can give an approx ballpark figure of about how much it costs? I know that it can vary from one indiv to another but how exactly does it work or is there a pay structure? I wanted to get an idea before pursuing. thanks!
  13. shnopee

shnopee New Member

bumping to get some response...
  14. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I go to the FFC in Norwalk CT. $360 for the first visit, $360 for the second visit and then $180 for visits. I don't do the IVs as they are expensive $120 if I remember. I get my supplements on line, much cheaper except for the power cell and mitomax with NT factor. $100 and $50 each for 90 pills and I get colloidal silver nasal spray from them too. Good luck. They have helped me but I am in a terrible slump right now because of anti-viral therepy.

wendyc