Any FMers have spinal surgery & how did you heal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cakedec, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I have FM and a severe double scoliosis which I am considering having spinal fusion surgery for. Wondered if there is anyone out there with it who has had any type of spinal fusion surgery and did you heal up normally after the surgery or have trouble. Had heard that FM'ers don't always heal up as fast as nonFMers.

Deb
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

10 years ago I had a fusion done at C4, 5, 6. It took a long time to heal, but that was expected. I was off work for about 3 months, as at that time work involved lifting my vision and hearing testing equipment every day as I moved from school to school. (I am a school nurse.) That was also before I knew I had fibro.

For me, the relief from the pain and numbness from the bad discs and the bone spurs pressing on nerves was well worth the surgery and the recovery time.

Now, 10 years later, I am having pain from the vertebral junction below the fused site. Not sure what we will do about it yet.

Anyway, in general, we do heal more slowly than the 'normal' population. BUT... you can prepare yourself for the surgery by making sure you eat a clean diet with as few human added chemicals as possible, and including lots of fruits and vegetables. You might also want to check out JuicePlus online, as it is a very good product made from organically grown fruits and vegies, and is an excellent source of antioxidants.

I believe that a diet of whole, clean, preferably organically grown foods can make a big difference for all of us. Just IMHO! I do try to walk the talk, so to speak...

Deb, your surgery sounds a lot more involved than mine was. I hope that you will have a support system set up for after surgery, as you will probably need a lot of assistance for awhile.

Do you have a good relationship with the doctor and the surgeon? It will help if you can communicate with them and if they will LISTEN to you. Take a friend along to appointments as an advocate and as a second set of ears, too.

Ok, off the soap box. I know how scary spinal surgery is, been there.

Let us know what you decide and how things, go, ok?

peace,
    Beth.
  3. heartinheaven

heartinheaven New Member

fusion on C5/C6 about two years ago. My doc suggested I use the artificial bone instead of my own bone (healing time is a little slower but you don't have to suffer two surgeries). It took about 3-4 months to heal. It is not perfect, I still have some pain, but the relief is enough that I would do it again if I needed to!

I hope and pray all goes well with you,

Blessings,

H Michael