Any gay lgbt members?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happycfs, Aug 28, 2012.

1. happycfs

happycfs Member

I am wondering if there are any other gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered members here? I know that many people have said that many gay men get these neuroimmune diseases, as women do. An interesting thing! Just curious, how many people here are gay? There is a group on facebook for LGBT me/cfs, fibromyalgia, lyme disease, dysautonomia members too if anybody is interested.

Isn't internet grand? We can all pull together and support each other.

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to our boards. We are really here to support one another due to our illnesses, which do not necessarily discriminate among differences in sex, sexual orientation, race, religion, political leanings, etc. To most of us, sexual orientation doesn't matter and it usually doesn't factor in our conversations unless it's germane to the subject. I hope you can find, and give, support to everyone here. Our members are very warm and caring.

Again, welcome to our boards.

Love, Mikie
  3. happycfs

happycfs Member

Thank you so much for your kind message! It means a lot to hear that, Mikie. Thank you.

The reason that I posted this is because this illness can be so isolating already, and being LGBT on top of that creates a whole new set of discriminations and isolations, in the general community, in the medical field, and in families. Every single gay person I have met has agreed. It is important for everyone to be validated and to feel that they are not alone in this. It can be so very scary in general, but for people who are already disadvantaged and discriminated against, it creates a whole new experience of being misunderstood and hurt by this illness.

I meant it when I said thank you to you, Mikie. You have a good heart, and it means so much to know that people sincerely care. ~Thank you~
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Welcome to a wonderful and caring board. I believe Mikie summed it up the best.

We are all part of the human race. No matter what orientation, religion, illness, etc. And we all hurt with this dreaded pain, and other emotional pain's in our live's. Anyone who need's support should have place's to turn to. And I am thankful i found this board when I was diagnosed with Fibro/ CFS.

Good to have you here! I think you will be happy to have found 'us'!!

Gentle hugs!

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In one way, most of us understand the isolation issue because these illnesses can cause loss of friends and isolation due to our inability to do what we used to do socially. Unless one has suffered isolation due to sexual orientation, I don't think it's possible to understand completely. The good news is that here, there is true acceptance and support and people don't care about one's orientation. I'm glad there are other outlets online which are focused on that need.

You are truly welcome here and I'm hoping that you will find what the rest of us have found. This website is a wealth of info for these illnesses. Almost everything which has helped me is something I first learned of here.

Again, welcome aboard; I'm glad you found us.

Love, Mikie
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Where are Sleepy and Dopey and all the rest?

I had a long profile here for several years which said, inter alia, that my partner Gordon and I had had been together over 30 years. I took it down though, because of all the concerns over identity theft.

We did have a couple other gay men. One is gone and the other drops by now
    and then to post. Might be others, but I can't think of any. With my
    Eisenhower's disease I often have trouble remembering this, that and the
    other thing.

I have multiple medical problems; think most people here do. Anyhoo, the
    main one for the past year has been lack of energy. I have been trying to
    send a note to my nephew back in the old country (Minnesota) for the past
    week, but just can't summon up the necessary N-R-G.

Ha det bra