Any Gift Suggestions for DIL Graduating from Law School?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fivesue, Apr 21, 2007.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm kind of at a loss. We could give her money, but I would like to do something a little different.

Book? Glass Etching? I just don't know. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated. I have just a few weeks to get this wrapped up, so I'm not too worried. I did just write my son and ask if he had any ideas...

So, how about it? Any ideas.

2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

When I worked in an office years ago(probably about 15 years ago) I got notice that I was being transferred to another office in Glasgow.Well,my colleagues had a whip-round & presented me with a quality gold-plated Parker pen(refillable).
    I know it doesn't sound an exciting present but to this day I still have this pen and use it each day(I just buy a refill each year) & I still fondly recall my colleagues & my time spent at that office.
    I did also get other presents over the years such as cash & soccer strips but no longer have those,so what does that tell you.These things don't last.
    Or how about a quality frame for her graduation pic,or a quality paperweight.Something that will have longetivity.

I have a wee story for you from my primary schooldays.Well,when I was 11 I played in our school football team & luckily that year we had a great team that won 3 trophies.As a treat our School Headmaster who was a strict disciplinarian decided to reward us with a gift of paying for a professional photograher to take our photos both collectively as a team & individually with all the trophies.At the time as 11 year olds we were a bit miffed to get these "measly" gifts as we found out that another local team who won the 3 trophies the year previously were gifted presents of digital watches(boo-hoo thats what we wanted,LOL) by their school.Well the moral of the story,as our Headmaster well knew,is that we still have the pictures(which do in fact still invoke great memories when I look at them) & guess what,the digital watches are long gone.

Hope these suggestions help,I know it can be a bit of a dilemma finding an appropriate gift.
    Best wishes,Paul.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, congratulations on the accomplishment of your DIL. I'm certain that you are very proud, and rightfully so!

Regarding a gift suggestion ......
    I went to "Google" and did a search on "Law School Graduation Gifts" and it came up with a number of sites with suggestions!! You might want to try this, too!

I checked out one of the sites and found a couple of ideas:
    it was a print of the The U.S. Constitution, size 19H x 12W, (print only) for $29.99. You could have it framed with a nice mat behind the print for her future law office! There were other prints like the Bill of Rights, etc.

When my daughter graduated from medical school, one of her gifts was one of those necklaces that had three dangling diamonds that are supposed to have a romantic meaning if given by a husband regarding your past, present, and future (I think). However, I made a little speech when I gave it to her and told her the three diamonds represented her past, present, and future as follows: (1) all of the hard work that she had done in the past to prepare for medical school, (2) the present ... today ... the day we were celebrating her med school graduation, and (3) for all the best wishes for her success in the future as a great physician. We also gave her a nice watch--with a second hand!--doctors have to have a second hand on their watches to take pulses, too!

Enjoy your celebration!

4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

You have all been so helpful. The pen, Paul and Peachums, is a great idea, and someone elso asked if she's going right to work...only on studying to take the bar exam in September.

I am going to check out the internet sites you guys suggested...the constitution sounded good. Don't think we can go the diamond thing right now. (-:

Thank you so, so much. This makes me feel less apprehensive. I asked my husband and he gave me a shrug of his shoulders and said, "I have no idea..." We must be a couple!

Thanks again and I'll let you know what I get. I also thank you all for the good wishes you have sent our way. Yes, we are very proud of her...what a sweetie she is.

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'll have to ask my son if she has a briefcase...but, a briefcase is something someone needs to pick out for oneself...what one person might like, another might hate.

But, the pic idea is a great one. I'll have to go through some of my old pics and see what I have. Kevin was such a cute little guy...still is a cute guy, but, alas, a grown up now. Where did the time go?

Anyway, thanks for adding to the list.

Hope all is good at your house.