Any good books on Myofacial Release?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mujuer, Apr 16, 2007.

1. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Boy do I struggle with this pain. I can't keep going to a physical therapist but wondered if there are any good books on the subject. My husband is willing to learn any type of massage that helps. I saw in another post that someone had suggested the use of a can with balls on it. Where can I get one of those?
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I don't know anything about the "can with balls" but I have put tennis balls into a tube sock, leaned against the wall with the end of the sock in my hand and lowered the tennis balls where I hurt and very gently worked those areas.

The person that told me about it said they lay on the tennis balls, but I found that too painful.

I've heard that Bowen therapy helps some people, its very gentle.

I like just a very gentle massage with oil.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/16/2007]
  3. jennbug

jennbug New Member

The one Iam using is called The Miricale Ball Method by Elaine Petrone. I ordered from Amazon. Placing the balls under the body as you lay on the floor and find the tight muscle. Relaxing into the ball and breathing helps to release the muscle and ease pain. The book has good illustrations and is very easy to understand. Another is called a theracane you can get this on line. It is a useful tool to reach sore muscles. As you press the cane on tight muscles it begins to release the tension and ease pain. Hope this helps.
    jenn.
  4. coolma

coolma New Member

They have several editions - try to get the latest. Describes it all in full, all the symptoms, all the side effects and treatments. VERY good book and well worth the read and/or money. Good luck!
  5. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Thank you for the responses and I will try the tennis balls and buy that book. I love this site and you all are so helpful and I really appreciate it. Pamela
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clare Davies is excellent and has been recommended by many on this site.

Kathy