Any Good, Easy Recipes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katsmi, Jul 11, 2006.

1. katsmi

katsmi New Member

I am usually hurting, way too tired, etc. (as many of us are!)to cook good, nutritious meals every night. I am trying to take care of my elderly mother also who lives in assisted living, but has many needs.

My DH works hard and I really want a nice meal for him (although he never expects it, and is willing to put up with whatever I have).

Any ideas or recipes? I have fibro cookbooks, low carb and many other good cookbooks that I use when I feel a little like cooking.

Thanks for any ideas!
    Kats

2. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

All you do is brown hamburger,drain take 1 can of beef broth pour that in, (Slowly) add curry powder to taste,salt pepper,flour to thicken gravy and pour over rice.
    It's really good the next day also!Hope you enjoy,
    Hugs,
    Mary
  3. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

Bump..........
  4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I can't stand for long periods of time but do love to eat. I try to eat a 3-course meal most every night. I live alone and when I go to the grocery store, I come home and freeze meats in single portions.

Here are a few ideas: Long instructions but super quick/easy.

If you eat salmon/tuna, I purchase them in the frozen section and most are individually wrapped. I will place in cold/tap water in a small bowl in the plastic it's in to thaw. Rinse and pat dry with paper towel; place in baking dish/pan and add evoo or whatever oil you prefer and some butter if you like. I put the Emeril seasoning or dried basil on it; (your choice of seasonings) cover with foil and bake @ 15 min. 400 deg. or longer, to your liking.

With that, I have found that these rice dishes you can buy, like rice-a-roni, pasta roni or Lipton rice sides, variety of flavors, or pasta dishes in the packet are very quick and easy. Even if some call for frying pan, I still use boiler; no different and much easier. Most of them, you add water, butter, and packet, bring to boil and simmer, covered. Super easy.

Last, I purchase frozen vegs. like corn in a bag, broccoli, or sometimes, fresh asparagus. Doesn't take corn long, place whatever amount in very little water, butter and simmer for few min. till done. Frozen broccoli or fresh can be boiled or cooked in pan with cut up onions/garlic if like, with evoo or butter; cover with foil place in oven same as meat, maybe little longer; must check for tenderness.

Also another dish is the famous hamburger steak, season as like, place on foil, cut up potatoes and onions, cook 400 deg. for 45 min. to hr. Very simple but good dish. If cooking more than one, I would wrap individually.

Then, of course, if you like bread, that would be your choice as there are so many.

I have many more but hope this might work. As I stated, lots of typing but very simple and trying to be specific as possible.

Bon-apetit, or whatever, LOL!

BlueSky555
  5. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I don't know that it's all that healty or anything, but it's very easy and really good.

Take a beef roast and put in crockpot with 2 cans of beef broth, 1 pkg dry Au Jus seasoning mix, 1 pkg dry Zesty Italian Dressing mix. (the Au Jus mix can usually be found with the other pkg seasoning like gravy, chili and such). Turn the crockpot on high and cook all day until it falls apart.

We eat it on whole wheat hoagie buns and topped with a little of the juices and swiss cheese deli slices. It's easy, not much standing, not much prep, and tastes really good. Clean up is not so bad either. Just shove the crockpot in the dishwasher.

aaaahhhhhhh.........my kind of cooking
  6. katsmi

katsmi New Member

The recipes look tasty and not a bunch of ingredients!

I don't like ones that have a "million" things in them and it takes running all over the store to find everything...oooh, that's just way toooo tiring!

Blessings to all!
    Kats
  7. reckabek

reckabek New Member

ENCHILADAS...box style!! hehe
    a can of 98% Fat free chicken white meat
    sourcream low fat
    enchilada sauce or salsa
    low fat cheese
    black beans????

mix up the chicken to shredd it more, add sour cream, and some sauce to taste, add some shredded cheese, whip ot the tortilla, put some scoops of that and a scoop of beans for fiber...and heck anything else your heart desires, wrap up, put more sauce on, top w/ cheese, bake till melted??? it was surprisingly AWESOME..and husband liked....good luck, beck
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have seen recipes for frittatas that call for all kinds of ingredients and are baked in the oven. I learned to make this simple skillet frittata years ago from a friend who had been in the Peace Corps.

Ingredients:
    Lots of greens - washed and torn in pieces if fresh, thawed if frozen
    1 egg per person
    1 Tbs. milk or water per egg
    cooking oil
    salt & pepper to taste
    Additional veggies of choice are optional.

Directions:
    Beat eggs with milk, and salt if used.
    Saute vegetables, starting with those that take the longest.
    When veggies mostly done, push them to the rim of the skillet.
    Add more oil to the skillet, then the eggs.
    Fold the veggies into the eggs and cook until the eggs are set.
    Sprinkle with pepper if used.

Serve with corn tortillas (from a bag), corn bread or muffins (from a box), or Spanish rice (from a box).

The original recipe just used greens. Since hearing of versions that use other veggies, I have been adding some others. I use tomatoes whenever they are available. I also use onion, summer squash, or marinated artichoke hearts.

9. sues1

sues1 New Member

Easy meals also means less clean up......

So for small family or even one person......get a toaster oven. You use less electricity or do not have to use gas stove....does not heat up the whole kitchen.

I usually separate meat buys and pkg. individually and put in freezer.

Example for toaster oven:....use any individual wrapped meat, can put it into foil, even frozen, add seasonings, sliced onion/peppers, whatever. Close the foil and bake in toaster oven.
    Can have premade mini meat loafs in freezer to cook.....
    Or make mini pizzas with french bread or english muffins.

For some reason using an electric skillet is less mess then cleaning the stove top all the time. Easy dish is flouring pork chops (or other meat) and brown in skillet, salt and pepper and add some onion and celery, little garlic if you wish....do not let the veggies get too brown....when meat is brown on both sides
    Add a can of tomatoes with juice also.....have skillet on simmer and cover and cook until tender....delicious.

Sometimes I cook a beef roast that way and use left overs for a soup or other dishes.

Both the toaster oven and electric skillet helps. I know a crock pot does also. i just never got into it. Susan
  10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I made a homemade macaroni, with already shredded cheese. Then I added one package of soft tofu, that I whipped in the blender. I also added some cooked broccoli. The kids ate it, no problem. Later I told them it had tofu in it, but they liked it anyway!
  11. sascha

sascha Member

make a quick spag. sauce (saute onions in (i use) extra virgin coconut oil, then brown hamburger along with onions, then throw in tomato paste and water enough to make saucconsistency- i put a little stevia sweetener for taste. add oregano, s & p. Steam thinly cut strips of zucchini - lots of zucchini - and when it's just getting tender, slap it on a plate and pour sauce over. top with packaged grated cheese. it's pretty quick and doesn't take much work and tastes really good. sascha
  12. sascha

sascha Member

make a quick spag. sauce (saute onions in (i use) extra virgin coconut oil, then brown hamburger along with onions, then throw in tomato paste and water enough to make saucconsistency- i put a little stevia sweetener for taste. add oregano, s & p. Steam thinly cut strips of zucchini - lots of zucchini - and when it's just getting tender, slap it on a plate and pour sauce over. top with packaged grated cheese. it's pretty quick and doesn't take much work and tastes really good. sascha
  13. sascha

sascha Member

however many pieces of chicken you will need- preheat oven to 375. put VCO (virgin coconut oil) or whatever oil you prefer in baking pan. coat chicken pieces on all sides in oil shake cajun seasoning over. tops of chicken pieces.
    slice in half sweet potato and coat with oil; place cut side down in same pan as the chicken.
    bake around 40 minutes.
    cook up green veg. like frozen green beans at last minute.
    can make extra and have left-overs. very very quick in the preparation. best, sascha
  14. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Cooked Chicken......I use left overs or turkey
    I bag frozen mixed veggies your choice.......Thaw
    I can cambles cream of chicken soup......only fill half with water add to chicken and veggies. and a teaspoon Dijon mustard

A can of crescent rolls or puff pastry.

Put veggies and chicken mixed with soup in 13 X 9 in. casserole lay crust on top.

bake in 350 oven till golden .

Enjoy its a crowd pleaser.

Sue
  15. jjdg

jjdg New Member

Hi,new to the site,but love to cook:
    Shepards pie

1-lb good ground meat(chix,beef,lamb,pork,turkey)
    1-can creamed corn
    1-pkg. instant potato's (try the different flavors,makes it interesting!)prepared
    brown the meat,(to this if you like you can add onions or garlic,mushrooms salt,pepper)
    drain and put in a 9x9 pan,add corn,and "icing" with the potatoes.U can top with cheese if U'd like,bake for about 25mins. eveything is already cooked its just to warm through for the flavors to meld. you can freeze servings too. enjoy jjdg
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

or one pot meal cook books can usually be found at thrift stores. I also have a book by Rachel thingymebob called ten minute meals and hers are so nutritious-she is the one on TV.

I like cheat meals: Organic chicken broth, tip in frozen peas and herbs and garlic and mash when cooked for five mins with potato masher for pea soup.

Take frozen spinach and defrost in microwave. Add half a jar of any spaghetti sauce, 1 tsp sugar, and a can of milk, dried milk and water or ordinary milk or soy. Stor it all together and it makes a great spinach tomato soup-I like to add chopped garlic, onions and basil (all from jars in the fridge.

Take frozen squash and omitting the spag sauce do the same thing or add broth. I add refrig ginger to this and turmeric or a little curry powder or paste(I prefer paste).

Wash and chop up a bunch of potatoes and toss in oil and herbs and garlic right in the roasting pan and bake for about 45 mins till browned at about 425. I usually pop into the oven(not in person)and using egg spatual trun the spuds once. When I take them out I shake grated romano or parmesan cheese on top.

All these are great served with a salad or added feta cheese or any chopped protein source(sausage, chicken, ham, whatever. Rice can be added to any of the soups as can any sort of pasta or noodles.

Love Anne Cromwell Oh I often add applesauce to dishes and soups for extra taste.
  17. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

Gary usually does the cooking and always experiments. We never have the same taste twice and all he cooks is soooooo good.

Well, the man has inspired me and I made this last night putting whatever I had into this recipe and damn it was good.

Ingredients: (Preheat oven to 350 degrees)

4- good size pork rib chops with bone or two chops 1 " thick and cut a pocket though the chop to the bone. Don't trim the fat.

2- T Butter AND (2 pats of butter to put on chops while baking)

1/2 cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs

1 -T Ground Cinnamon

1/2 cup chopped onion - yellow or red

2 Pears Coarse chopped in chunks or use 1 small can of pears cut in chunks (reserve juice)

Canned Sliced Pineapple - Chunk about 4-5 slices (reserve liquid)

Coarse Ground Black Pepper to taste

Garlic Salt to taste.

OPTIONAL 1/2 bottle of Honey Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce

To make stuffing:
    Melt 2 T Butter in skillet or heavy sauce pan and saute onions until tender on medium heat

Now add: (don't boil)
    Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs

1 T Ground Cinnamon

1/2 of the Pear Juice if you use canned pears or use just 1/2 of the pineapple juice or you can mix them together but save juice to pour over meat once you stuff the chops!

Fruit - pears and pineapple and stir all together until Bread Crumbs are moistened.

Now Place pork chops in roaster, glass baking dish, whatever. Stuff the pork chops. Secure with toothpicks.

Season with Pepper and Garlic Salt.

Pour remaining juice over chops.

Put 1 pat of butter on each chop and bake for 45 minutes but check doneness every 15 minutes.

Remove from oven. Now baste chops with BBQ Sauce and add 1 slice of pineapple to top of each chop.

Broil for 10 -15 minutes.

We had this with White Cheddar Mac n Cheese and Corn.

ENJOY
    Cindy

[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
  18. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

We call it sea shell soup. Boil shell shaped pasta (or any shape) until tender, drain. With cooked shells in pot add cream of chicken soup and water, bring to simmer, add salt and pepper= sea shell soup.
    I grew up on it and my family loves it! Kids think it's fun!