Any good Fibro Dr. in Northern IL.??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylD, Dec 6, 2005.

1. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Just wondering if anyone has a good fibo Dr. in Northern IL. I have been going to the Dr. for about 3 years now and I am just not having much luck.

Thanks,
    SherylD
  2. gramaT

gramaT New Member

I'm down here in Peoria, and I would like to find a good Dr here too. Sorry. Good luck looking
    Carolyn
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Do you live near Schaumburg, Illinois? If so... when I lived there in 2002... I went to good doc at a pain center that specilized in fibro.

I can let you know if interested.

MamaR
  4. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I imagine that firecop1066 went longer than I did. I went there and had tests run...then I went to local doc near me (as I lived in Aurora) before moving to Florida...so I just know that the doc that I saw there was thorough in doing my test workup! She also actually treated me like a HUMAN BEING...which sometimes is hard to find with fibro! I don't know much more, and sure that a lot has changed since 2002!

I agree that they were very expensive!!

Sorry....wish that I could have been more help!

MamaR
  5. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

or able to travel, but Dr. Karen Vrchota in Winona, Minnesota (on the river bordering wisconsin, in southern minnesota) is a treasure and a blessing. She has literally saved my life. She follows many of Teitelbaum's protocols, and treatments similar to the Fibro and Fatigue Centers, but has such a personal touch and will spend the time with you that you need. I travel 3 hours to see her, and it is soooo well worth it. she uses many innovative treatments to try to heal people from these horrible illnesses, instead of telling us to have happy thoughts and just adjust our lifestyles. Yeah! Blessings to you. Jen102
  6. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for trying to help. Maybe I will keep it bumped and see if anyone else has any input.

Minn. would be about an 7 hour drive for me... I don't know if I could do that. Thnaks though.

SherylD
  7. SherylD

SherylD Guest

South Beloit wouldn't be to bad of a drive if the Dr. is worth it.

Have you been going there for a long time?? And have they helped you?? Do you take a lot of Meds.? Do they make you feel like you are a crazy person?

Sorry for all the questions...It just gets really frustrating.. I'm sure you know the feeling.:)

Thanks for responding,
    SherylD
  8. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I live in Chicago and had been struggling to find a good doc too. Finally, after lots of research and bad Doctor visits, I found Dr. Katz,a Rheumatolgist (Rheumatogist Associates is the name of the practice). He is amazing and in the 3 months I have been seeing him, I am sleeping through the night most nights! Used to be sleeping through the night never!

Everyone is different but what he has done for me is the following:
    -Changed up my routine in taking meds
    I worked up to taking 20 mg of Flexiril in the a.m. and the other 20 mg in the late afternoon

I used to take both dosages before bed and not only wasn't sleeping but woke up groggy and unfocused

-Added Elavil for sleep and pain releif
    I started with 10 mg and have worked up to 75 mg at 7:00 p.m. every night

I wake up human and alert and mostly pain free

I am taking no actual pain releivers though I do think the Flexiril helps with the pain along with the Elavil

-I had a lot of unusal inflammation indicated by my SED rate and C-Reactive Protein. He put me on Prednisone - a low dose and I feel great...but don't want to rely on the steroids for long.

I am still on the following:

Synthroid
    HCTZ (diuretic)
    Protonix (GERD)
    Zoloft
    Mircette (birth control)

I can't say enough good things about this doctor and his practice. He has a full blood lab in his office area. He also has his own X-ray machine on another floor. So it is one stop service. He tested and x-rayed the heck out of me and it was done the same time at my first appointment.

He has several nurse practioners on staff and they are all great. The first time I saw I waited about 45 minutes, but since then, no wait at all. He actually sent me a copy of my blood test results with a letter explaining everything. I did check if they send 'bad' news in the mail too. But they don't.

Also, I had an unusual reaction to something the Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving. He was already out of the office but the service told me they would page him. I told them no but would keep it in mind if it started to get worse. I felt better and beleive it or not, one of the nurse practioner's called me first thing Friday morning to make sure I was ok. The service had given me the message. I don't know about you but I frequently have had to leave several messages for a doctor to call me back. I have never had an office call me when I didn't really leave a message for them to call me out.

Sorry for the rambling but he really is great - named Doctor of the Year at least twice. Oh and he resembles Paul Neuman!
    If you need further info let me know (like you don't know everything about this man by now!)

Nancy

[This Message was Edited on 12/07/2005]
  9. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for responding. I will keep him in mind. I am really glad that you found a Dr. that you are happy with. I think that is a huge factor with this stuff.

I like my Dr. but I just don't like the fact that it is just one drug on top of another drug. I just don't handle them well.

If I decide to try something new I will contact you again.

Thanks again,
    SherylD
  10. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I agree it is so critical to find a doctor that helps us heal in a manner we are comfortable with. Good luck to you
    Nancy (aka Buried in Snow in Chicago!)
  11. Mo23

Mo23 New Member

I have seen Dr. Robt. Katz for over 5 years for fibro. and he is truly the best doctor I have ever seen for my condition. He is an extremely talented, intelligent,
    kind, and compassionate MD and REALLY listens to you when you voice a concern or question or would like to try a new therapy. His office staff of nurses, nurse practioners, Xray tech.
    physical therapist and the rest of the office staff I can not speak highly enough about. They have seen me through some very rough times with my fibro and always managed to find a way to make a difficult situation better.
    He is bar none the best Rheumy in the Chicago area and I do not give that
    rating very easily as I have worked in health care for over 20 years and seen and worked with
    many doc's over the past 15 years before seeing Dr. Katz. He is located in the professional bldg. at Rush Pres St. Lukes suite #1039 tele. 312-226-8228. Good Luck and Health to you. Mo23