Any Good Wheat Free Breads ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Dec 2, 2005.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

I think I'm going to try to go wheat free for awhile but I like bread.
    Anyone know of a good tasting wheat free bread??

Thanks.
    Kendra
  2. dakotasweett

dakotasweett New Member

you could try Ener-G brand tapioca loaf. I've never tried it myself but I sell a lot of it at the GNC I work at and people rave about it (we have many, many people who can't/don't eat wheat/gluten). I haven't heard as good results with the brown rice bread. There are a lot of new wheat/gluten free products coming out more recently (cereals, pretzels, brownies, pizza crusts, etc.)

Best of luck in your quest,
    Vanessa
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

thanks for that information. That's cool that we share the same birthday and you have a cat named Iggy (hahahaha).

Thanks for the bread info. I wish you could remember the name of it also, but I'll try to find it.

I was just going to try it out and see if I feel any different. You know how that goes.

Let's keep in touch.
    Kendra
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

They're grains that are related to wheat, so they taste about the same (except nicer, I think), and some people who can't have wheat can eat them.

Our favorite bread here at home is a dark sourdough rye, yum!

Don't be shy. Why not try a different loaf of bread every week? You might get a new favorite you've never even known about. :) The health food store is great for unique and tasty products.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Should sell different kinds of wheat-free bread. Also, if you have a bread maker or like to bake, there are several good gluten-free cookbooks for bread, pies, cookies, etc.

Love, Mikie
  6. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    I've gone wheat free. The bread I use for toast in the morn is " Food for Life" pecan raisen bread. It's made from rice flour & bran. Very good for you, and yummy too! I don't really eat sandwiches anymore, so I don't have a bread for that.

Take care,
    K.
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

Thanks for the info.

Kendra
  8. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I eat some Ezeikial bread which is Spelt. BUT I could not live with out Vans wheat free waffle and i also eat alot of what free tortillas. I make pizzas on them. Smokehouse the almond people make some decent rice crackers with hazelnut. good luck It is hard but you can do it! Lynn
  9. windymountain

windymountain New Member

The breads I have tried to eat from the health food stores just aren't the tastiest to me. I got the book called, "The Gluten Free Gourmet, Revised" cookbook and I tell you, those are the best tasting baked breads and other goodies you can get your hands on. You will want a Kitchen-Aid mixer to mix the dough in...gets too painful to try to do it by hand. See if they have it at the library and try out some of the recipes. The four bean flour mix in the book makes the best stuff.
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I know I won't be making homemade bread anytime soon, I hate to bake as it is. But a breadmaker seems fairly painless, and much cheaper on the wallet too. Hokey doodle, those gluten free products are expensive, and often really grainy and ghastly.

I'm not sure if I'm gluten intolerant or not, but I know my wheat allergy is back, I'm getting headaches from it. And yes I love kamut and spelt, but spelt is the worst for that, I get spacey on it too.

Jeanne
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

12. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I have a bread maker and I let it mix the dough and then put the dough in a traditional loaf pan for the shape. I haven't tried a wheat free recipee in it but they are very easy to use. Lynn
  13. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I eat the sunflower and rye from French Meadows which is yeast free, gluten free, and wheat free. Really good. I don't eat to much though. Maybe one or two slices a day.

GBHope
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

Didn't get a breadmaker for Christmas, got a crockpot instead, goes to show you where my fiance's priorities are, heh. He was loving the creations I made when we stayed at his aunt's and she didn't have an oven, but a crock. He whined when I said I wanted a breadmaker because he didn't want to have to wash it (I cook, he's {supposed} to do the dishes *rolls eyes theatrically*.

May not be gluten intolerant though, I'm not getting wheat symptoms since I've been using the Primal Defense and it's finally healing my gut. Still haven't retested for celiac, as my env. doc is hounding me to do, because I don't want to find out. I think the best form of denial is just not finding out.

Jeanne