any help for dry hair?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karenq, Jun 25, 2003.

1. karenq

karenq New Member

I don't know if this is related to FM or not, but recently my hair has gotten very dry and brittle. I do color my hair and have some bleached highlights, but I don't think that is enough to cause this much of a problem. I use a shampoo specially made for colored hair and a conditioner for colored hair. About once a week I use an oil treatment. I also have another kind of oil treatment that I use almost daily, and I rarely use a blow dryer. Nothing seems to help. Can this be some kind of nutritional deficiency? I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Karen
  2. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I have read somewhere in a nutrional newsletter that hair problems could be caused by deficiency in nutrition. I don't know what yours is, but you could probably find info about it on the Net.

Maybe someone else will have some better info for you!

Debbie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Have you had your thyroid checked. Dry hair and skin is a symptom of hypothyroidism. We are prone to this even when our tests are within the "normal" range.

Love, Mikie
  4. karenq

karenq New Member

Thanks for the tips. I do have a thyroid problem, but am not presently having any symptoms that I typically have when my thyroid medicine is too low, so I don't think that's the problem with my hair.

Susan, Is the Lehthin anything like Evening Primrose Oil or Fish Oil? I take both of those, and they do keep my skin nice and soft. But they don't seem to work on my hair. Maybe I need to try the Lehthin.

Monicacat, I have been getting my hair colored for several years and am only recently having this effect. I do have it done professionally as I am scared silly to do it myself--had an allergic reaction once when I tried that! I am having it done by a different person--maybe the stuff she uses is not as high quality as the stuff the other person used.

Well, I'll try the Lehthin and see what happens. Hope I don't have to stop coloring my hair as I feel much too young to be gray: ).

Karen
  5. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

YOu need to drink a lot more water, it helps the dry hair tremendously, you will notice a big change in your hair and skin in about 3-4 days if you drink enough.
    The more the better.

Hope this helps.

Jaci
  6. DetMills

DetMills New Member

I agree with other posts who say you should rule out a thyroid problem. Supplements that have helped me enormously with hair/nail/skin are the essential fatty acids (fish and flaxseed oil) and MSM. Some people also recommend drinking distilled water--plenty of it. Good luck.