Any help for very bad low back pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jun 25, 2003.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

I am recovering from a torn calf muscle (I tore it simply walking up the stairs), and have been told to minimize my exertions. In the last few days I have developed a hideous low back problem. I am in agony. About the only med I can tolerate is Advil, and even that I must take sparingly. Any suggestions? A hearty thank you to anyone who can come up with a suggestion.
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I'm anxious to see other replies too! I've had severe low back pain for a month, but trying to correct my posture seems to be helping (my gut muscles are pretty tone-less)--of course, when you're tired it's hard to do!

I've been taking 2 Tylenol Arthritis (aka Tylenol Extended Release) with 1 Aleve. (Do NOT mix NSAIDS with Aleve. And the dosing for Aleve is 1 or 2 every 12 hours. I figure you could take 2 Tylenol and 1 Aleve every 8 hours.) I buy generic. I also don't seem to have a sensitivity to meds--yet.

I also lie down a lot....
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

First, is it possible you also injured your back when you injured the calf muscle???? If so, PLEASE check with your doctor again, before you read any more of my post!

Have you tried heat application followed by ice? Or gentle massage? A warm bath with epsom salts? Also check to see if your hamstring muscles are tight on the back of your upper legs, where the muscle connects to your 'sit bones'. Tight hamstring muscles can cause awful back pain. Check with your doc before you stretch out the muscles on the damaged leg, though, as any stretching could also stretch that calf muscle that you tore. Be aware of your posture when sitting, walking, etc. You may be holding yourself oddly, to support the damaged calf muscle. Topical application on your back of a topical pain suppressor such as Ben Gay or BioFreeze or an arnica gel might also help.

A gentle stretch that won't affect the calf muscle: Lie on your back with your legs bentat the hip and your lower legs held up parallel to the floor. Stretch your arms out to either side of your body. GENTLY allow your legs to lower to the floor on one side. Breathe deeply as you feel the stretch in your lower back and legs. Gently return to starting position, then lower your legs to the other side. If it is painful, just lay there with your legs up, or with your feet on the floor and your knees pointing to the ceiling. You can also place a folded blanket or two or three under your legs as you lower them to the side, so you can relax in that position.

While you are lying on your back, you might also try gently rocking your pelvis forward, then back, so your pelvis tilts first toward your feet, then toward your head. This is a gentle rocking motion, good for loosening up the muscles in the lower back.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Peace,
    Beth.

4. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    I have had back pain (lower) for years due to an injury.
    My chiropractor always says Ice it, 5 times a day!
    I must have 5 icepacks in my freezer, all different sizes.
    Ivce does really help, increases blood flow, etc., reduces inflammation.
    I like the moist heat also as it is very relaxing. I have a pad that I can put in the micowave without getting it wet first, they are expensive but what a treat!
    I like the idea of using a bath towel. I may have to try it.
    If only I could fit a beach towel in the microwave and apply it to my entire body. AHHH! :)
    Take Care,
    Ziggy
  5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I have suffered with severe back pain for half of my
    life and ended up having failed back surgery.

Do you think your back is sore from not moving
    enough or do you think you injured it? I would
    get it checked out.

When I first hurt my back my chiropractor had
    me using ice every two hours - in the middle
    of winter! I wore mittens and went under an
    electric blanket while doing this!

When lying down on back, put some pillows under
    your knees to take the pressure off. If on your
    side, put a pillow between your knees and if
    you are really bad prop some pillows behind you
    to hold you up.

Do you have any pain in your legs besides
    the calf muscle? Shooting pain in your
    thighs, buttucks or feet could indicate herniated
    disc.

If standing up, put one foot on a stool or a couple
    of books. Same if sitting. I actually have a folding
    footstool that I take everywhere I go when I have
    to sit down. I cannot sit without propping my feet
    a few inches higher.

If I think of anything else, I will come back.

My favorite for my back is ben gay and a moist
    heating pad. Not together though.

Good luck,
    Lynn
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It worked miracles for both my husband and myself with low back pain and sciatica: PHYSICAL THERAPY.
    Klutzo