any help from Jay Goldstein M.D.?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dreamworld, Feb 5, 2003.

1. dreamworld

dreamworld New Member

I have been trying to find a good CFS doctor I live in Los Angeles, and have pretty much given up on finding help. I would love to know if anyone has seen him or know of anyone who has.

Thanks
  2. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Is this the guy is Orange? Cause if it is, he charges $800 for your initial consultation and DOES NOT accept insurance!
    ~B~
  3. dreamworld

dreamworld New Member

I know that he charges 800.00 and does not bill insurance, but You can bill your own insurance. I just heard that he has really helped with some protocols that other doctors don't/won/t use. I just would love to talk to someone who has seen or heard about him.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To hear from anyone who has seen one of the expensive "experts," who ran a bunch of tests and did a complete workup and followup care, who has gotten appreciably better for the expense and effort.

In my several years on this board, I have yet to hear from even one person who improved greatly. Anyone?

Love, Mikie
  5. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

To check him out.His office is close to me in Orange. I shouldn't be so bold, but get the feeling he's a "Quack." (I think it's horrible what he charges in the name of "helping") Maybe he does help some, but at the expense of others, he does do alot of experimental stuff.

I bought his book....which is just about unlegible. I've been a RN for 12 years and would like to think I have a good grasp on medical terminology and theoretics of complicated subjects.....his book was a joke, a BIG waste of money, I couldn't even figure out what he was trying to say.

Now in his defense, I was desperate and sick...maybe I was just overwhelmed at the time, but I don't think so. Also his "Office" is an O-L-D house that smells like old musty wood. I had seen a Doctor there years before Dr. Goldstein took it over....it's not impressive to say the least (not that it needs to be) BUT...I would like to FEEL that the Doctor I was seeing was more up-to-date. He himself looks like a mad scientist.

Sheeesh, I'm really bagging on this guy, but I find it so ironic that someone who is so into "helping" FM & CFS charges 800.00 a visit to people he surely knows are barely making it financially. If he is so into helping, I would like to know WHY his visits are so expensive....is he doing plastic surgery in the converted kitchen???

If you haven't guessed already, LOL, I am NOT impressed with him. By the way, I don't think insurance covers much of what he does...I could be wrong, but I remember high tailing it outta there due to the entire situation. His very name disturbs me for some reason.

Susan B.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/05/2003]
  6. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I was wondering the same thing. I live in Annapolis Maryland and have heard NOT to go to Dr. Teitlebaum. I read his book, but I hear it is so prohibitively expensive and then he recommends a lot of herbal supplements . . . I find that scary with the high sensitivity most people have. Also, my dr. DOES NOT recommend starting a bunch of drugs, supplements, etc. at one time as some of these drs. do because if you have a reaction, you don't know what it is a reaction to.

I've seen Dr. Teitlebaum and Jay Goldstein mentioned alot. My endocrinologist doesn't even take insurance and his visits are $500 each, but I hear Dr. Teitlebaum's first visit is $4,500!

Terri
  7. dreamworld

dreamworld New Member

2bpainfree and terrim,

I found your words extremley helpful. I like peoples honest opinion, and like myself have probably been down to many paths to hope only to find it a dead end AGAIN! After being sick for almost 20 years now. I am really to the point of not even delving into anything new.
    You all would not even believe the things i have tried , boy I mean it runs the gamit all the way to physic healers etc.

Thanks for listening
  8. sofy

sofy New Member

I have just about completed his book and have mixed feelings. On one hand he says we are all sick and need to do this and that and on the other hand he Does say it is all caused by what is in our heads. You have to read between the lines to get this but that was the gist of the message that I got. We were not happy kids and became overcheiving adults to make up for it and now have made ourselves sick. Maybe so but the psych I saw for 6 months told me he had nothing to offer me because there was nothing wrong with me. He said it was definately organic & they (regular md's) dont know what it is.
  9. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

About the Ins. thing...I got into a long detailed talk/debate w/ the woman who answered the phone there. Basically the bottom line was they do not accept ins. because:
    It's too much paperwork.
    The doctor never gets paid. (She kept repeating this one - about how it takes to long to get paid, never gets paid, etc..)
    People fly in from all over the world and stay in a hotel just to see him.
    It's ONLY $800 the initial visit, then the price goes down.
    He's MORE a research doctor...blah blah blah

I was practically arguing what others wrote here about what kind of a doctor/healer is he if he won't take Ins. from ill people he claims to want to help.

2BPainFree!!! I was LMAO over what you wrote! I think you summed it up quite nicely ;-)

[ advertisement ]