Any help with headaches

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cookie3, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

I have been having a migraine headache for at least 2 months. My Lortab is doing nothing. Is there anything else that I could try. Thanks
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I take Imitrex. It works for me but there are some newer triptans out now. If I need something extra, I take an anti-inflammatory. If it's a true migraine, the analgesics aren't that effective.

Kathy.
  3. crafty_julie

crafty_julie New Member

Hi, I was prescribed Ketensin / Ketenserin, formally called Sufrexal, many years ago. I take 1 20mg tablet twice daily, with the option of taking an extra one if I do get a fibro headache. I rarely take an extra tablet as the daily dose acts as a preventive, in fact yesterday was the first time that I have needed the extra dose for 18 months, at least!

Ketensin is produced by Janssen-Cilag. In the UK it is not a fully licensed drug but my doctor does write the prescription for it and a local chemist orders it in especially for me. If I remember correctly, Ketensin was actually meant for the treatment of high blood pressure but my consultant at the time who is the UKs expert on FMS discovered its effectiveness for FMS headaches.

I highly recommend it and hope that you are able to obtain it where you are. Good luck Crafty_julie
  4. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Cookie,
    I have been suffering with terrible headaches since October. This is a new problem for me. I have chronic sinusitis, and usually when I treat my sinus infections, the headaches go away. Now, these headaches are different and they really HURT. I am not thinking clearly, noise bothers me and my head hurts.
    I was trying to read your post but was not getting access to it, maybe someone else was responding at the same time. So I posted my own headache dilemma.
    Wanted to let you know, I am in the same boat, and I am getting sea-sick!
    I hope we both can get some relief.
    Feel better,
    Cindy
  5. SallyK

SallyK New Member

I had really bad daily headaches and was given myobloc injections. They stopped the pain! But they wear off so you have to get them every couple of months and they hurt too! Then they put me on Topamax for TN and it takes care of the headaches too. I have one maybe once every couple of months.
  6. jake123

jake123 New Member

I go to a neurologist who is a really good doctor. He listens to me and works toward wiping out my headaches.
    I was already taking Topomax when I went to see him but he upped the dosage (now 225mg)and added Indomethecin (3X a week) and Skelaxin for body pain. I also have Relpax for an actual migraine.
    I think maybe I'll never have to go to the ER again.
  7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I use Zomig and it helps a lot. Also, since starting Cymbalta, I seem to have fewer head aches.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I used to have terrible migraines and severe tension headaches often.

Two things have helped me get rid of them:
    1. Hormones. I had a hysterectomy (partial--still have my ovaries) at age 32. I'm not almost 55. I have no more hormone problem.
    2. Stress. I have retired and all my kids are out of the house.

I think the hormone factor and stress were my two biggest problems. I did a lot of research on headaches and avoided everything that triggered them.

* the aspartame in diet pop will DEFINITELY trigger migraines. I can drink 1 can a day, but no more.

* Chinese food and other foods with MSG in it.

* ages cheeses, wine, alcoholic beverages, hot dogs, and some other lunch meats with nitrates in them

* can reduce number of headaches by taking an antidepressant or antianxiety med - I took Zoloft

* preventative meds do wonders for not getting headaches but you have to take them as directed by your doc

* get your hormone levels checked

* chill; don't sweat the little stuff; pick your battles when arguing with someone

9. betsboop

betsboop New Member

this is great to hear..i too suffer from headaches, ear pain, face pain eye pain so bad some times i cry like a baby....i will see if my dr will rx some for me....do you get all over headache...dou know if they have this in Canada thanks for the tip..i have learned so much from all of you....can't thank you enough...i will keep reading all of your posts...thank you everyone i too am on topomax(100mg) daily but am still getting headaches Could you tell me whatkind of drug Skelaxin is... thanks!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2006]
  10. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I was on Lortab 10/500 for several years and realized my neurologist was right. Lortab is bad for causing "Rebound" headaches so I quit taking it last year and switched to something else.

I have had alot of luck with Fiorinal which contains Aspirin/Caffeine/Fenobarbital and is listed as a narcotic but it is used to treat headaches.

Have you tried checking your blood pressure when you don't have a headache? I found out that I have high blood pressure and each time it went up it caused a horrible migraine. They placed me on a beta blocker and it's helped to prevent alot of them.

Hope you find relief soon!
    Lindy
  11. LostHearts

LostHearts New Member

My pain doc has given me samples of a drug called FROVA. Although related to Imitrex etc., it is different in that it is long acting and thus tends to get rid of a migraine altogether. The down side is that it takes longer to kick in, but it's worth the wait.

I have tried practically everything over the years, and have found FROVA to work the best because of its time release effect. Indocin caused Reynaud's Syndrome (numbness/tingling of extremities) and Topomax actually made me schizophrenic--scariest experience of my life.

You might want to get a few samples of FROVA. It won't prevent migraines but sure keeps one at bay.
  12. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

most everyday. They vary in how bad they are. I am getting used to them but they are annoying. Is this all part of this illness ??? Among the other diagnoses I have of Mixed Connective Tissue disorder.
  13. reeny64tang

reeny64tang New Member

I was having really bad headaches (migraines & tension) for like three weeks. I finally seen my rheumatologist who put me on Cymbalta and sent me to a Neurologist and she put me on Neurontin. Between the two, I haven't had any more bad headaches. My husband and son had both had migraines for years and couldn't find any over the counter meds to help. Then last year they tried Excederin Migraine and that has helped them both. They have to take it as soon as they feel one coming on and they say it really works for them --- it did nothing for me during those three weeks. Hope you find something that helps you.

Hugs,
    Noreen
  14. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

The above medicine is a muscle relaxer and is not supposed to make you drowsy. Right now I have a headache and I can't even spell correctly. I have been stressed for about 4 months from Hurricane Katrina ( I live in New Orleans) and just can't seen to shake this headache. My doc has given me Topomax, it makes me dizzy the next day, I think I will try and take it again. And he also has me on Nortriptyline (SP), an antidepressant. Hopefully, something will kick in soon. Thanks to everyone whom responded to my request for help, I really appreciate it. Take care everyone!