Any humane ways to get rid of mice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cjcookie, Mar 25, 2007.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I was going to go the trap route but I was at the pet store returning my recalled food and there was a big aquarium of mice by the checkout. So now, I feel guilty killing them. I'm also not 100% thrilled with the catch and release thing - I'm scared to death of them and the thought of having them as passengers in my car until I got to some woods kind of freaks me out.

Any other good tricks?
  2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I'm just playin with you.

3. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I had some in my house but they were pretty old - maybe the batteries died. Thanks for your help.
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

All I can tell you is that standing on a chair and screaming EEEEKKK just isn't working for me!!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Boy, why can't I think of it. Mint? Lavender? Peppermint----I think it was peppermint. I could be wrong on that. My memory isn't what it used to be (nor is my body!).

I think it said to put oil of peppermint on cotton balls and set them around in most of the rooms in your home.

My mom has those electronic clicker things that you plug into the walls. The sound of them drives me bonkers, and i don't think they work that well.

6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

So here are some of the posts that I found while surfing the web for non-fatal ways to repel mice from your home.

peppermint oil essential oils on cotton balls in and around holes where they may use to get access into your house works. They don't like the smell. new oil every 2 weeks on the cotton balls.

Peppermint oil works great and it doesn't kill the little critters, just drives them way. They really hate the smell. Just make sure you get 100% pure peppermint oil, anything less just isn't strong enough.
    Put a dabble on cotton balls (stuff is really potent so you only need 2-4 drops) and put them around where you suspect them to be. We do this once a month and haven't seen or heard any for years.

I had heard on a radio talk show that OIL OF PEPPERMINT was the best thing to use, not peppermint oil or extract. The mice are allergic to the oil of peppermint.

If you want to do it organically, try fox urine. You can buy it in bottles. It's a natural repellent. The Fox is a natural predator of mice.

downy dryer sheets apparently. not only work on mice but also on ants. hate the smell. also any and all mint plants work great. Hate the smell.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm sorry, but when it comes to mice and/or rats, I don't care about being humane, I just want them to DIE!!!

The aquarium of mice by the checkout at your pet store were probably to sell to feed snakes! ..... and I don't like snakes either!!! They can serve their purpose out in the wild, but if they come even close to my home ... I want them to DIE!!!!!

We live out in the country and get them often--or we used to until we got our cat!!!

Mice are the only thing that I freak out about at my house, and, in fact, the discussion of them here is getting to me, so I'm going on to another post!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Those ultrasonic things are a waste of money!!!! [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2007]
  8. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I found some mouse traps at Walmarts that were plastic tubes with one end that was solid and the other swung into the trap. Put something in the trap for the mouse to eat and he gets caught in there and then just take them outside and release them

9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

If you release them outside , they wil come right back into your home.

you have to take them miles away to release them.
  10. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I forgot to add that, thanks! I made my b/f come and take the cage and he took them to his work and released them.

11. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Perhaps try the "Practical Buddist" method, as practiced in Thailand:

Put out two bowls of food. One with poison and the other without poison. Then it is the rat or mouse's choice.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/27/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/27/2007]
  12. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

does a pretty good job of it, and he doesn't use chemicals.
  13. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I just can't offer much help I'm afraid. Growing up in

San Francisco with four siblings, we where too

poor to have mice!

Hope other more experienced people can offer sug-

If you find a way, maybe you can ship 'em to me

and I can make some "Mice-a-Rice-a-Roni" An

addition to that fine treat!!

[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2007]
  14. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

There were 10, yes 10, kids in our family and we had mice. Your family must not have budgeted well! LOL

Of course we lived in the country in an 80 year old farm house and ya gotta figure the mice were there first!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  15. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

I am a huge animal lover. I tried everything. We don't live near any woods, so the trap and release would have been useless.

If you read about how fast they reproduce, you will probably just accept the harsh fact that there's no good "humane" way to get rid of them.

As cute as they might seem (and I think they're adorable), they also carry some serious illness stuff and they just have to go.

The old-fashioned snap traps are the best and fastest way to kill them. I has a hard time finding them in the hardware store, so I ordered some online.

Here's what I suggest:

I know, it seems unfair and to kill them really bothered me. I cried when we got the first few, but when I saw that they chewed through wires that could have burned our house down, I toughened up.

This kind of trap worked the best and they do die instantly. Unfortunately, I saw it more than once.

Oh, and don't get this kind:

That yellow plastic thing seems to scare them away.

Good luck!
  16. Jedski

Jedski New Member

always dissappear when you have a cat.
  17. mindbender

mindbender New Member

You are getting allot of replies.
    The night that you posted this I caught a brown an white mouse in my humane trap that I only have to place food in and set the trap. When he touches the food the doors in front of him and behind him closes.

I built him a little contraption to live in out of plastic Ice cream buckets and pvc pipes. 2 stories tall.

He obviously loves it because he’s still alive and he could escape easily if he wanted to. I dread if he does escape and I have to catch him again. Next time I won’t be so nice.

Around here we have bigger fish to fry. Opossums, Coons, Rats, Ground hogs,
    and it goes on. In the past I was feeding 3 cats and we still had varmint problems.