Any Idea on meds for Overstimulation and sleep difficulty

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sceptical, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

Who has any hands-on experience in this field? Is Omega 3 good for this purpose? Taurine? GABA?

Something reliable.

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have found Clonazepam very helpful for calming the nervous system and I believe several CFS doctors recommend it.

It helps with my RLS, sleep, and possibly pain caused by overstimulation.

The advantage of Clonazepam is that it has a longer half life and not so addicting. I have been taking the same dose for 15 years.

This is what my doctor told me. If your muscle pain is coming from your muscles, she recommends Valium. If it is coming from your nervous system, she recommends clonazepam.

If it is coming from both, I have no idea.

If you are looking for supplements, a good guide is Go to the top and click health and wellness. There is a data base for both conventional and alternative medications.

Good luck.

[This Message was Edited on 01/14/2010]
  3. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

If you are willing to take a prescription medicine, I can recommend klonopin or xanax. Both are very good for this purpose. (but not together. Just one or the other)

Good luck getting the elusive sleep.

4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Great for both but trying to avoid overstimulation in the first place is a good idea too :)

Love Bunchy x
  5. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

My favorite was baseball bat over the head. This was exactly my idea. Everything was fine until DMSA and DMPS chelation. Never try chelation out if you might have sulpha intolerance (most of us).

Rivotril (clonazepam) and Xanax are good. I feel relaxed but do not sleep. I just fear I have to keep raising the dosage.

Nexavir was excellent for sleep Aussiewoman ! If you are a lucky American you have an easy access to that. I live in Europe where it is no more available. Nexavir was the baseball bat for me. It is just matter of dosage. If it worked for me it also works for everyone. I am the most famous insomniac ever seen.

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Other than drowsiness when I first started, I have had none of the above symptoms and I am VERY sensitive to medications.

Remember that the manufacturer has to list all the possible side effects. But talk with your doctor.

I have never had the hangover effect, although I did get that when on a higher dose of Trazodone.

Clonazepam has especially helped with my RLS.

Believe me if I was getting too many side effects from Clonazepam, I would not be taking it.

Take care.
  7. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

You might try to research this -- it goes way beyond 'just avoid MSG.' Many natural foods, even some fruits, are high in glutamates. Balancing GABA & glutamate is somewhat approachable by diet, but individuals vary considerably in their susceptibility.

Check your supps, be sure you aren't taking things in compound with aspartate, which also revs up the brain. One sport supp called ZMA is marketed for pre-sleep purposes. Some people find they get a deeper but shorter sleep; others find the aspartate causes overstimulation.

Check the light levels you are exposed to from 7 p.m. on. Getting bright light, or computer screen light/bright TV can really impact melatonin production in some people. Conversely, aim to get your bright light early in the day.

Inositol helps the brain gear down, but it's more of an OCD-type calmer.

Omega 3 EPA concentrate taken in significant doses throughout has been shown to be helpful for mania/hypomania, which is a specific type of overstimulation. I don't think a little of just any grocery store fish oil would be effective for bipolar-related overstim. You'd want the good stuff like OmegaBrite or Nordic EPA concentrate.

Taurine is often paired with caffeine energy products because it counteracts the cardiac effects of caffeine. On the downside, it can increase stomach acid & cause heartburn. Speaking of caffeine, be sure you limit consumption to before noontime.

Best wishes.
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

l-theanine is an amino acid that helps the brain produce GABA. I believe l-theanine is more effective than GABA because l-theanine crosses the blood-brain barrier. It is calming without being sedating.

For sleep you might try melatonin. I have read also that a few people on this board had improved sleep when taking large doses of fish oil for omega 3's.

One more thing - have you had your cortisol levels checked? Some people with CFS have high cortisol - not everyone has low levels. If your levels are high at night, it can cause insomnia. MIne were quite high several years ago, I was given Seriphos, it worked great with no bad side effects. I felt calmer on it, but not sedated. But I don't recommend taking it unless you get your cortisol levels checked because if they are low, Seriphos can make them go too low. Also, paradoxically enough, it worked best for nigihttime insomnia when I took it in the morning. A good test is the Adrenal Stress Index Test which has to be ordered by a doctor or naturopath.

5-htp and l-tryptophan can also help wtih sleep. They help the brain produce serotonin, but you have to be careful if you're taking an SSRI because your seotonin levels may go too high causing serotonin syndrome, which is dangerous. I've been taking 5-htp for several years with no bad side effects, I can't tolerate prescription ADs and I think the amino acids are just safer. They don't have the side effects of the drugs.

Good luck ---

9. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

After 20 years of chronic insomnia I finally found a concoction that works for me and not a prescription since I react so badly to them
    Inositol, seriphos, 2-3 500mg of Trytophan, 12 mg of time released Melatonin, 750 mg GABA and 2 Valarian. Not as quick as the bat but it works. Even going through the burning sweats/chills at night from Babesia I can get some sleep.
  10. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

Omega 3 caused indigestion, L-theanine was stimulating, GABA ineffective, need I go on? Huge dosage of melatonine is not safe either. It might raise your prolactine level.

What the idea of a baseball bat is concerned I should work on that with Christa (aussiewoman). Quick and effective. We could import 1000 pieces from China, change the label to "made in USA", create a manual and sell it for like 20,-dollars each (one strike per night). We would testify to its efficacy. Our testimony would persuade millions to buy it. Having all this money we were in the position to buy Nexavit, Xyrem and other ripoff drugs created just for us.

11. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

what I do is close my bedroom door and put on my noise blocking headphones without plugging into any music or movies...

if my boys are still making me crazy, i mean, if my other treatments don't help, i scream "I want everyone in this house to shut up"....and it is not nice to say shut up

then, if that fails i pop a XANAX....and then nod off because it makes me sleepy....except of course at bedtime when you want to get sleepy....? a strange phenomenon....

for sleep i have a little pharmeceutical cocktail that consists of 5 mgs of ambien, a xanax 0.25 mgs, and 2-5/325 mgs of percocet....eeeek! sounds terrible but the ambien and the xanax are pretty small doses and the percocet is like tylenol for me...i need 2 every 6 hrs anyways...anyways, it doesn't work very fast but after a few HOURS, i will fall asleep sitting up and sleep for a couple hours...then, i get my kids off to school and go back to bed and sleep until 1 or 2pm....those hours are the best sleep I get....i dream and just feel so, ah, unconscious...deep sleep....daytime sleep with a pair of blinders on is the best....oh, and cold air coming in from my open the winter....and in the summer, i have a fan blasting arctic air on me....

don't try that, by the way...i survived the trial period but I don't recommend it to happened when I was having terrible pain and insomnia....and i told my hubby if I die in the night, this is what I took....i know that is terrible to admit but i don't care....

i hated trazadone because i felt so drugged the nxt day but i used it years ago and didn't have troubles with that....maybe i was on a lower dose...

some people do well with amitriptilene...spelled wrong...but, if I just hold the bottle in my hands, i gain 10 that was out for me....

sorry i wasted your time telling you what doesn't work!
  12. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

Do not worry. I am always happy to read interesting stories like yours. In exchange for that I`ll tell you another story:

I have a shrink who prescribes me low dose Remeron for sleep. She said she had a therapy resistant patient suffering from a very severe case of depresion. Nothing had helped. She read a suggestion in an American scientific journal which was as follows: take an antidepressant, add an antipsychotic agent AND finally add an anabolic hormone. This treatment was later called the theory of explosion. My Hungarian doc thought she would try out this American idea bc they must know much more. The pateint was hospitalized on Friday at the beginning of the therapy. He said on Saturday that he would leave bc he had recovered. He also added that he had never felt that good. He was released on Saturday. My doc got a phone on Sunday that the ambulance brought back his patient who felt sick, his blood pressure was unmeasurably high and his veins on his neck and head were extremely swollen. It took two weeks to bring down his blood pressure to normal again. My doc promised she would never ever experiment again. However, his patient still remembers that special Saturday (the only day without side effect) as his best day ever.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/17/2010]
  13. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Sorry to hear that only bats work for you ...

I don't generally recommend Omega 3s for sleep.

Omega 3s are an important nutrient, and they help many people.

When it comes to sleep/overstimulation issues, however, Omega 3s have been proven helpful ONLY for the sort of problem that comes along with mania/hypomania. Not so much that the Omegas are sedative -- more so that they aid in mood balance.

For myself, I find Omega 3 -- esp. EPA fraction, gives me a great deal of mental clarity. In fact, some research has shown that adequate Omega 3 intake is critical for maintaining dopamine levels in the brain. If I take Omega 3 before bed, my brain wants to wake up and work!

However the fact that some people on the forum do find Omega 3s helpful for sleep just goes to show you how much individual differences come into play.

If you are not into RX meds to help with sleep, perhaps you might want to research other alternative treatments? Have you had any success with melatonin or GABA supps? How about an Alpha-Stim unit (micro-current).

Best wishes
  14. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Adam, I react to this supp the same way. It wakes me up.

Some sleep formulas combine theanine with melatonin. My experience with that formula is that I fall asleep nicely, only to awaken in 2 hrs. ready to get up. Yet numerous other folks swear by that combination.

I do use a small amt of melatonin at bedtime. For it to be effective for me, it must be combined with B6 in a sublingual tablet. Melatonin by itself does nothing for me.

Best wishes.
  15. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I use Xanax during the day (to level CNS) and at bedtime (for sleep). I add Rescue Remedy (Bach Flower Remedy) on extra stressful days. My mother uses Calms Forte for overstimulation (sensory overload) and sleep. We neither one have insomnia.
  16. jole

jole Member

Has been a lifesaver for me. It really seems to quieten down an overstimulated brain. I wasn't sleeping at all before starting on brain would race a mile a minute the minute I laid down, no matter how tired and exhausted I was. The Xanax really calmed that down so I could relax enough to fall asleep "most" nights.
  17. slammed

slammed Member

will definitely let you sleep at least 3 hours, maybe 5 hours @10mg. 10 is the max recommended dosage, but i did 15 mg for years with better results(6-7 hours sleep). then my sleep doc reduced me to 10 bc his people upstairs said that the manufacturer recommended 10 mg max dosage, and compliance puts them out of legal trouble possibility. great, i understand this and can't fight it... but, going down to 10 has been a rough adjustment. example: here i am, typing, at 4:30 am.

my concoction also includes Gabapentin 300mg capsX2, Lorazepam .5mg tab, and Melatonin 5mg. i had a choice of taking Clonazepam or Lorazepam (both benzos), so since i feel a person should take only one benzo and keep to the dosage without fail so as not to need more&more, i chose the Lorazepam bc it gets a relaxation going to allow the Ambien to kick in at about 15 minutes.

after 3 - 5 hours sleeping on this mixture, i wake up and do things for a few hours, then go back into natural sleep for another 3 hours. it's ok if you have a life's schedule that allows such luxury. this sure isn't the magic baseball bat that we're looking for, but it's an ok temporary fix.