Any ideas on how to get off sugar?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Mar 17, 2007.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

I posted this awhile ago on the Candida board but only got a few responses. I am reading Sugar Blues again since it did help the last time but I am still eating WAY too much sugar. I know that it makes my CFS/FM symptoms so much worse as well as my candida and yet I can't stop!!

I take Chromium every day because I thought that helped with cravings. It doesn't any more.

I have given up sugar completely many times before just by making up my mind that it wasn't good for me. Now I can't seem to get over the physiological NEED for my sugar fix every single day.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you.
    Pepper
  2. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

Yip I know that feeling!! Even worse i live so so close to a shop that sells all the sugar stuff i love ahh

Anyways search google for Radiant Recovery it's a website but the lady Kathleen DesMaisons also writes books they are very good and very helpful. I highly recommend it and am thinking about giving it a second try.

I was off sugar for awhile and loved it! Then I found I couldn't eat anything with soy in it :S and then I started flatting which really threw me though a loop.

evol
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Sorry to say, that is what has helped the most. That and using whole fruit for its sweetness to replace the sugar cravings, and then diminishing the amount of fruit.

Using Stevia can also help altho it may take some getting used to.... different mfrs of it do make different formulations, so they do taste a bit different.

I am also cutting way back on foods I have let creep back into my everyday diet. It is hard, no kidding about that! And I'm still not perfect. BUT I am getting there. I have been perfect before, I know it is a matter of brainwashing myself again, in a sense, that it IS a poison in its pure form especially.

I do know that it was very hard, unless I had immediate motivation (like when breastfeeding & my daughter had colic and we thought it could be due to what I might be eating);

So it is very difficult... and if I beat myself up over it, it makes it harder.

My way of thinking is, even if I'm 'splurging' with 1 T of honey in some tea, it isn't the worst thing as long as I'm not eating the rest of the stuff... and by next week I probably won't have to have that either.

Don't know if this helps, it's sort of a pep talk more than anything, but it is the only thing that really works for me other than when knowing that what I eat might make my baby sick!

Funny how we can do something like this for someone we love, but not so easily for our selves!

All the best,
    Victoria

PS: you might look up the 'Whole Approach' for candida treatment suggestions as well.

[This Message was Edited on 03/17/2007]
  4. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I can't imagine just quitting sugar ... same way with my coffee. I am trying to cut that back too.

Hopefully some of the nice peeps can help? Good post & good luck :)
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

It got to the point where I would eat whole packets of cookies, and buy chocolate every day.

I used chromium too. No help.

The key is to raise glutathione. Since starting on certain methyl supplements, my cravings have practically disappeared.

We're talking 3 weeks. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous.

But I remember a guy on another site talking about this, and how so many of his symptoms cleared up when he fixed his glutathione levels.

A lot of our problems go back to this. Please check out Rich Van Konyenburg's work. He explains how so many of us have a methylation block that is holding down our glutathione levels.

Once you fix the methylation block, your glutathione levels come back up ..and that should fix most things.

(this is a simplification obviously)

I'm happy for the people who cracked this thing with willpower. I think I have a lot of willpower, but I think biochemistry trumps willpower every day of the week.

Delia
  6. jarjar

jarjar New Member

This is a tip from Sugar Buster that worked for me. I eat some peanut butter on a healthy cracker such as a Triscuit and it works for me. I should mention that for me and most people on the Marshall protocol the sugar cravings stop in 6 months or less.
  7. PLEASE tell me if you can figure this out. I too have that problem , I crave CHOCOLATE all the time. I went a wk. without it and then eat everything in sight. The trick is not to buy it maybe?
  8. 139864

139864 New Member

I am not a choc-a -holic ,nor do I have cravinggs for sweet things .. but I cannot drink tea/ coffee without sweetener of some description .
    I have heard about STEVIA ..but am unable to find it here in the UK ! So after seeing it advertised on this site ,I e sent for three boxes .I just hope that I can tolerate it .:) :)
    best wishes
    Brenda
  9. wld285

wld285 New Member

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you. I have the same problem. I am okay all day, then in the evening I eat sweets non-stop. I feel sick if I try not to eat any. Iknow this is a huge problem for me, since I have candida really bad.

Good luck to you, and I will look for any tips that may be given to you
    Linda
  10. app5775

app5775 New Member

Honey, corn syrup, and many other sweetners can break down and be just as bad as sugar for those of us with candida problems. I'm not sure about stevia or malitol. Probably the best way is to search the net to see what the findings are for those two sweeteners. Occasionally I do eat some sugar free ice cream and candy which is sweetened with aspartame which I know isn't good either but I can't imagine going thru life without some sweet stuff on occassion. Right now its lent so I always give up sweets to further give me a boost. But its not easy! Its a pain no matter what but its better than being sick with yeast illlnesses. good luck.
  11. app5775

app5775 New Member

I did just a little research and what I found is that the only sweetner that did not appear to break down into a glucose form and cause candida overgrowth is Stevia. All the others honey, malitol, sacchiran, aspartame ( sugar alchohols), corn syrups etc. can cause problems. So if anyone finds a cheap source of stevia please let me know. I'd like to try it. Also I do take a supplement called D-mannose for my bladder infections which is a form of simple sugar. It can be tolerated for candida patients like us and is great to prevent bladder infections. Some others on the board gave me that information. So far it is helping me alot in that area.
  12. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

taste sweet but contain very little carbs. Blue Agave tastes sweet but is very slowly absorbed. It has the slightest fruit taste to it, but otherwise a great sweetener.

Sugar cravings can also be caused by a Candida Albicans (yeast)overgrowth. Yeast and bacteria compete for space in the colon. Antibiotics kill off both the bad and good bacteria. After you finish any antibiotics, use Probiotics (healthy bacteria) replenish the gut. I've had my best success by using 3-Lac by Global HealthTrax. It contains 3 strains of Lactobacillius bacteria. I lost my cravings slowly and feel much better.

Also, "Viruses breathe sugar" so you may flare badly after indulging. Sugars are chemicals that end in -ose. So watch the labels carefully.

Glyconutrients are a real twist on what I just said. Fucose (not fructose) kills off many herpes viruses and Cytomegalo virus. Brewer's Yeast, seaweed and some mushrooms are high in it. I just started adding Glyconutrients to my diet...so too early to tell.
  13. app5775

app5775 New Member

Where do you purchase Stevia and Xylitol?
  14. pepper

pepper New Member

for these great ideas. Now there will be no excuse for me not getting off sugar. :-(

Evol, did you find that when you had to cut out all the soy, that you couldn't manage to give up the sugar too? I think that I started craving sugar more when I went gluten free 18 mo. ago. And there are so many darn good gluten-free cookies, etc. out there that are loaded with sugar. I feel deprived of gluten already so cutting out sugar seems like a double whammy. I will google Radiant Recovery - I have never heard of that.

Victoria, you gave me the answer I didn't want to hear! I wonder how and why I could give sugar up before and now can't manage to do it. I have been under a lot of stress lately - people around me keep getting sick and dying. Maybe that affects the willpower. (?) I certainly could do it if I were breast feeding because it would affect my child - but that sure isn't going to happen! I have never heard of the Whole Approach for candida treatment either. I will look that up.

Shalala, welcome to the club. I have done it before so I know it is doable so lets try to put some of these ideas into practice. I had an aspartame sweetened pudding after supper tonight and it seemed to help curb my cravings.

Delia, I think you have something there with the glutathione thing. I just ordered some more compounded glutathione suppositories because I haven't used them in several months. I am trying to figure out if my cravings for sugar got out of control around the time that I stopped using those suppositories. I think so. Hmm. Must look up Rich Van Konyenburg.

Jarjar, 6 MONTHS???? Oh my gosh. I couldn't take these cravings for that long. I wonder if using sugar substitutes like I did tonight after supper would make it easier or harder to get off sugar completely. Or would I just be substituting one bad thing with another? I gather the peanut butter must be the peanuts only kind?

Fibrobutterfly, I don't know about you but if there is no chocolate in the house and I want chocolate I will find a way to get to the store somehow to buy some. I have even made my own "chocolate bars" out of peanut butter, cocoa and icing sugar. Disgusting, isn't it? But when you're desperate..I will let you know if I beat this thing and how. Would you please let me know if you do the same? I can relate to people who are addicted to other stuff trying to get off sugar!

Brenda, I do use Stevia to sweeten my oatmeal and I quite like it. The taste does vary by brand though. I hope that you like whatever kind you ordered. The key with Stevia is to use way less than you think you will need. A little goes a long way. Good luck with it.

Linda, my problem is the same. Bad candida and I know that I will feel terrible the next day but after dinner I just HAVE to have something sweet. I don't know if having an aspartame sweetened pudding like I did tonight is a good idea or not but at least I am not craving sugar at all tonight. Good luck getting off this stuff. I remember that after reading Sugar Blues the first time, the thought of sugar made me ill because I recognized it as a poison. I must finish that book again and hope I feel the same way.

App5775, I cannot imagine going through life without sweet stuff either! The key would probably be to start baking with Stevia. I think that it can be used for cooking. If I only had the energy. Maybe I would have more energy to bake if I was sugar free again. Sigh! I don't mind the taste of it on my oatmeal, etc. Stevia might be my answer. I get mine at the Health Food Store. It is useful to buy it in little packets because it helps keep me from using too much. So very little is needed.

Froggyfog, I am already flour-free (except for the no gluten stuff) and have accepted the fact that I have to be sugar free. I will look up Dr. Gott's book. I like the way he works.

Allwxrider, I don't know much about glyconutrients but I should be learning about them. I must print this thread out so I can keep track of all the things I have to learn about. Blue Agave I have never heard of but I do like Stevia and must research cooking with it. I have recently had a terrible brush with thrush so you'd think I'd be smart enough to get the sugar out of my diet without all this. I wonder if the candida is making me crave it. I have been taking HMF (human metaflora) but have been tempted to try the Three Lac. I will have to research the differences.

I had forgotten that "viruses breathe sugar" and I am full of stealth infections after a bout of mono 14 yrs ago and possibly Lyme and coinfections. I guess I am feeding them all pretty well these days.

Angela, I have never heard of Xylitol. I will look into that along with all the other information people here have suggested.

Thank you all. This is great information! I will let you know if I am able to beat the sugar demon - and how I do it for those of you who are working at it too.

Printing this off....

(((HUGS)))

Pepper

15. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

Yip I'm having big trouble with my diet, I feel great when im off sugar, feel great when im off soy and wonderful when off both.

But it's so hard doing both that really limits the food I can eat as I also don't enjoy red meat and can't eat eggs or any fruit or vege that is orange ahhhh

Soy gives me the worse physical symptoms then sugar does. So soy goes off the list first.

It wouldn't all be so bad, but im flatting with 6 other people we only have a tiny kithen and not much cubboard space, and no one likes what i eat so i have to cook by myself, so sadly very sadly i'm not enjoying cooking and quickly look for a quick fix to keep me going.

Can't wait till I am in my very own place as I actually love cooking.

Got a bit off track there. It is a whole heap easier just getting off one substance at a time, my current one has to be soy as i can't handle what it does to my poor body. Radient recovery is really the way to go if you want to get off sugar and improve your diet

good luck pepper :)
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

1) it kills the bacteria that cause cavities, which is why you'll see it advertised on some gums at the HF stores

2) too much can cause diarrhea, as can other sugar alcohols...

Well, let me add another one:
    3) it tastes pretty good, better than stevia, but = I have to be careful with it because of its effects.

Like maltitol and mannose it is an incomplete sugar while honey and corn sweeteners are complete - so not sure if yeast can use the sugar alcohols or not, altho bacteria cannot. Anybody know for sure?

all the best,
    Victoria

PS: 'NOW' brand is usually pretty cheap if you can get it in the UK...

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2007]
  17. victoria

victoria New Member

Xylitol is good for:

Candida yeast
    A recent report suggests that consumption of xylitol may help control oral infections of Candida yeast; in contrast, galactose, glucose and sucrose may increase proliferation.[13]

Dental care
    Xylitol is a "tooth friendly" sugar. In addition to not encouraging tooth decay (by replacing dietary sugars), xylitol may actively aid in repairing minor cavities caused by dental caries.

Recent research[5] confirms a plaque-reducing effect and suggests that the compound, having some chemical properties similar to sucrose, attracts and then "starves" harmful micro-organisms, allowing the mouth to remineralize damaged teeth with less interruption.

(However, this same effect also interferes with yeast micro-organisms and others, so xylitol is inappropriate for making bread, for instance.) (but of course for those of us with candida this is a good thing haha- Victoria)

Diabetes
    Possessing approximately 40% less food energy,[6] xylitol is a low-calorie alternative to table sugar. Absorbed more slowly than sugar, it doesn't contribute to high blood sugar levels or the resulting hyperglycemia caused by insufficient insulin response.

Osteoporosis
    Xylitol also appears to have potential as a treatment for osteoporosis. A group of Finnish researchers have found that dietary xylitol prevents weakening of bones in laboratory rats, and actually improves bone density.[7][8]

Ear and upper respiratory infections
    Studies have shown that xylitol chewing gum can help prevent ear infections[9] (acute otitis media); the act of chewing and swallowing assists with the disposal of earwax and clearing the middle ear, whilst the presence of xylitol prevents the growth of bacteria in the eustachian tubes which connect the nose and ear.[10]

This action that xylitol has on bacteria in the back of the nose is best explained on the site dealing with the nasal application of xylitol. [11] When bacteria enter the body they hold on to our tissues by hanging on to a variety of sugar complexes. The open nature of xylitol and its ability to form many different sugar-like structures appears to interfere with the ability of many bacteria to adhere.[12] Xylitol can be applied nasally through a saline solution containing xylitol, such as Xlear Nasal Wash.

Health concerns

Xylitol, like most sugar alcohols, can have a mild laxative effect at high doses. It has no known toxicity, though; people have consumed as much as 400 grams daily for long periods with no apparent ill effects.[citation needed]

WARNING:
    FOR DOGS, XYLITOL CAN CAUSE SERIOUS -- POSSIBLY LIFE-THREATENING -- PROBLEMS. Dogs which ingest products sweetened with xylitol may experience insulin-mediated low blood sugar hypoglycemia, possibly resulting in loss of coordination, depression, collapse and seizures as soon as 30 minutes after ingestion. One case occurred in a standard poodle that ate five or six sweetened cookies.

Xylitol can also cause liver failure and coagulopathy (failure of blood clotting) in dogs. Dogs that have eaten products sweetened with xylitol, including some sugar free gums, baked goods and tooth pastes, need immediate medical attention even if they are not showing illness. Sick dogs (vomiting, weak, seizuring, etc) are likely to need aggressive veterinary treatment and close monitoring of blood values.
    -------------------

So just make sure your sweets are out of reach of your pets!

all the best,
    Victoria

18. pepper

pepper New Member

Evol, now I understand what you mean by "flatting", LOL. I thought it was a typo in your first post. That is an expression I have never heard in Canada.

Yes, getting rid of multiple things in the diet is hard. I have gotten rid of the gluten and most fruit (allergies) except berries. Now I just have to work on the darn sugar. I am doing all my research today and hopefully get my head around it - sugar is poison.

Thank you for all the info on Xylitol, Victoria. I am in Canada and do not know if we can get it here but will find out today when I do my research. It sounds like a great idea.

Thank you, cat. I really do think that I need to substitute the sugar with something else. I just have to read the labels and make sure that there is no gluten in anything which is quite a pain. But we gotta do what we gotta do. I will look into the Low Carb stuff which is harder to get in Canada than the U.S. but I hope I can find it.

Thanks all.
    (((HUGS)))Pepper
  19. deliarose

deliarose New Member

i really need to go back to the archives of the Yasko group and dig this out.

but I believe that Rich Van Konyenburg has said that low glutathione in the hypothalmus causes diabetes insipidus.

Raising glutathione, either thru direct supplementation or by fixing a methylation block (lots of info on the board about this) will resolve the problem.

I had sugar cravings for YEARS. I have been on the methyl program for a MONTH. My sugar cravings have eased up enormously.

I now crave greens, salad mostly.

Dncnfngrs, who is trying the same protocol, reports the same thing.

IMHO, u need to fix the biochemistry. Just ask yourself : did u have this problem (with this severity) before CFS or FM?

Delia
  20. pepper

pepper New Member

I have been watching the threads on the methyl program and find it very confusing. I need to do more research when my brain is working better.

I definitely did not have these cravings before CFS/FM.

I started the glutathione suppositories last night. That should help, shouldn't it? I also give myself methylcobalamine shots too.

I tried researching this today but my brain froze and I will have to get back to it another day.

I had no sugar yesterday! But I did have an aspartame sweetened pudding last night to curb my cravings. Not good I know but I am trying to wean myself off the stuff.

Thanks for your input. Any more would be greatly appreciated.
    (((HUGS)))Pepper