any ideas on what to get for my mom in hospital?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

They can't have flowers in ICU and she absolutely would not want a blanket. She can't enjoy anything so maybe i'm just doing it for me but I don't know.

If you have an idea maybe a stuffed animal?? I don't know. SHes really out of it.
    Thanks,
    Rene
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am sure just your love, prayers, and presence will be enought right now. When she is feeling better think about a bed jacket. You might find them in the hospital gift shop.

They are hard to find but so comfortable.
  3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

When my mother was in ICU for 3 weeks in a coma,I bought her lotion with a mild fragrance. Then I would massage her legs and feet while I prayed for her.

Lolalee
  4. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

how about one of those really soft squishy pillows that they sell now. they come in all different shapes and it would be something nice and soft for her to hold on to.
    rachel
  5. sues1

sues1 New Member

Reminded me of when my dear step father was in hospital, had a stroke. He was very weak and ill. Someone brought in a cuddily cute stuffed animal and placed it on his chest to try and make him laugh. We were amazed when he took and cuddled it and peacefully dozed off.

We would find him holding on to it and asleep often. He'd gotten such in previous hospital stays and he thought they were cute. But this time was different. He needed something to cuddle with. That endeared us all.

Just like the lotion would be.......anything that that brings warmth, touch and such is so comforting.

Bed Jkts. are great, but they are heard to find. worth checking for.. Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2006]
  6. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

While my mom was in ICU we bought her a clown because she collected them. It sat in the corner and watched over her every day.

I also bought her a new gown and robe and matching slippers.

Perhaps you could take in her favorite picture(s). I printed out one of mom's favorite pictures of my brother, sister and I and pinned it to the message board in her room.

I hope that your mama gets well soon. It's tough when they are sick. My mom was in ICU for 3 weeks in a hospital that was almost 2 hours away. I went to work at 8 a.m. till 5, then drove to see her, got home way after midnight and went to work again the next day. Needless to say I was totally exhausted but I had to see her. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble :)

Take care and you and your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I was given new slippers (she may not be out of bed much yet, but hopefully she will be) and I think the soft, squishy pillow idea is great---I had one of those, and took it every time I had to be hospitalized, slept holding it every night like a baby.

I wasn;t in ICU, but had orders not to have flowers or plants, too, so that's out---but they go so quickly anyway.

Good luck & I hope she improves soon.

Hugs,
    pam
  8. suzetal

suzetal New Member

She could not even get cards.So what we did was send a huge fruit basket for all 3 shifts at the nurses station in her name.It had fruit candy and chocolates in it.

When she came out of it and started to talk .The nurses all started to thank her for the wonderful treats she sent them.Boy that put a huge smile on my Moms face.

She thanked us for taking care of the nurses who took such great care of her.

Sue
  9. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

She was in ICU for almost 8 weeks a few summers ago. I also would rub her back and massage lotion on her hands, feet and legs. I brought waterless shampoo and washed her hair every few days. When she was on the ventilator, I would hold her hand so she couldn't pull the tube out. She was 4 hrs away, so on my days off I would drive and spend a night or two. A few times my son and I would stay at the Ronald McDonald house which was a great experience.

I think if she likes music take that with a small CD player and headphones, maybe a journal so she knows what went on whikle she was there. My Mon didn't remember any of the things I did, but I know she knew I was there.

Hope you Mom recovers, and make sure you take care of yourself as well.

Warmly,
    maggie
  10. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi thank you. My mom is going into surgery now. I went across the street and got the cutest small baby elephant as they said only small. I looked for 15 min and I'm happy with it.

Lotion is a good idea. I like the music idea too. I'm gonna go tonight. I just wish someone could go with me.

Sorry for not addressing your names I'm just not ok. I've been crying.

Thanks for those who told me about your ICU stories. I feel like I"m the only one going through it and that my mom may not get out of ICU.

Thanks,
    Rene
  11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

to you and your mom. Terri
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Do you have a family picture ? I know if she could see them in the picture she will have lots to think about and know how many love her. us a plastic frame and no glass.
    I hope she does well.
  13. ckball

ckball New Member

I'm glad you found something nice for your mom.

I have been gone all day, first time I have left the house in 7 days, and loved it.

I hope her surgery goes well and she starts getting better.

My thoughts and prayers are with you-Carla
  14. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

You and your Mom are in my prayers. I am sure that she will love the baby elephant.

God bless; Pam
  15. kriket

kriket New Member

Just the fact that you are there probably means more to her than anything. I am sure that she knows when you are there and that alone is probably the most comforting thing you could do for her.

My mom was in C.I.C.U. all three times she had her heart attacks. I could not stay in there for long b/c I wasn't allowed, but you could see it in her eyes that she appreciated that I was there for her when I could be.

You are a good daughter. I will remember both of you in my prayers. I am sure that you are pretty worn down yourself.

Kriket
  16. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

they see all kinds of things...

but slippers are good...

a gown now may not be a good idea...because of changing dressings on surgical areas...things get messy and they are in icu for a reason.....

maybe a picture of you on the wall and a i love you no matter what mom...

jodie
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

A lot of stores have small angel figurines. I would buy an angel and place it on her night stand to watch over her day and night.

You could also go to a dollar store where they sell their cards for "2 for $1" and get one for every day. Write your thoughts in a card each day, and when she moves out of ICU and is able to have them, you can read all the cards to her and hang them up in her "new" hospital room.

I pray for your mother's speedy recovery.

Love,
    jlh