Any Ideas to Help Swelling in Feet and Legs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rileyearl, Sep 17, 2005.

1. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

The past few days I've had bad swelling mostly in my feet, as well as in my legs. The swelling is triggering MORE PAIN! I'm getting tired of this already. I've been drinking extra water and keeping my feet elevated as much as possible. I'd appreciate any ideas you have to help. Thanks in advance!

Francie
  2. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

I had (have) the same problem, except I retain water everywhere, which makes normal swelling and pain even worse. My doctor put me on a water pill called HCTZ 25mg once a day.

If you think this might be your problem, you might want to ask your doctor about this medicine.

:)

Chin up,

Kim
  3. I am having the same trouble the last couple weeks? Let me know if you find out what is causing it. My feet especially are so swollen.
  4. fightingfm

fightingfm New Member

I too have been experiencing this for over 2 years. But my Dr.'s can't find the reason. They just give me more Lasix to get rid of it. I too would like to find out why?
  5. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I have the same problem and have had it for years...I swell all over but mostly to my legs and feet.

I take a fluid pill which gives a little relief for a short time. What helps me the most is getting off my feet altogether..Laying down. The longer I sit,stand or walk the worse I swell.

Please be sure to have your doctor check this out...I have had my heart checked..EKG, Echo-Cardigram,24 hr urine test and just recently a Ultra Sound done on my legs and still have not been told the cause for swelling. Next is a MRI..

I hope you get some relief and find the cause.

Hugs
    Bluerose
  6. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

Hi Franci,
    I've had it for years mainly from RSD in my legs, feet and hands when my pain level is high. Putting my feet up and not using my hands is the only thing that helps me.

I agree with everyone, Get it checked.
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Francie,
    I haven't had that as badly as you sound with it for years. But I do find sitting here at night and drinking lots of water, will make me feel bloated in my feet and legs.

I agree that laying down is the best thing and trying to raise your legs. Also try to cut out salty foods and anything with lots of sodium in it if you use that sort of foods.

A lot of times at night when I'm watching TV I will lay on the sofa instead of sitting up.

Since it is a sudden problem, that is what makes me worry more about it.

When I was on Lasix, it didn't help me any. Back then I was spending a long times sitting.

If you aren't better soon, you should see your doc and see what he says about it.

I hope you feel better. I know it is a miserable feeling. Hope I made sense. I have a UTI and a fever and just saw the doc this morning, myself.

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

As I was saying above what helps me the most is getting off my feet all together...Laying down..

But when you do lay down, beacuse you do not know why your swelling, Never Prop your feet up above your heart....it use to be told to prop your feet way up, but not always a good idea if you dont know whats causing the swelling.

I was told this by my doctor before having what test I have had done looking for the cause of swelling...

Not trying to scare you at all...but you need to have this checked out...Before my tests Dr was worried about Blood clots and fluid around my heart... So when you do lay down just lay flat with a pillow under your head. Now if im in a sitting postion I prop my feet up to waist level.

Just wanted to add this and please let us know what the doc says about your swelling as I said im still looking for answers...

((Hugs))
    Bluerose
  9. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

It means a lot to have your input and concern. Thanks again! Take care all....

Francie
  10. Diagoras

Diagoras New Member

then do it. I asked my doctor about swelling in my ankles and she said moving around is the best thing. Water pills will just take water out of your whole body, and you don't want that. Walking will get your circulation going so the water goes back up to where it's really needed.

Of course, I know many of you can't do that very much without negative consequences, but if you can even do a casual stroll for a few minutes it helps MUCH better than putting your feet up. What makes it worse is sitting for a long time. When you sit, either put your feet up or get up and walk around every once in a while.