Any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by courtneyshea, May 26, 2009.

1. courtneyshea

courtneyshea New Member

Okay, I'll attempt to make a long story short. I'm 23 years old. I had tendonitis in both wrists when I was 16, wore splints for a while, and thought everything cleared up. About 3 or so years ago though, my wrists and fingers (just that area in general) started hurting again. Not constantly, but enough to bother me. Almost a year ago, both my ankles started hurting as well. Now, my wrists and fingers hurt a lot more than I think they should be. It's usually a burning, aching pain that tends to get worse if it's damp or cold. And every morning when I wake up, I lay in bed for about a half hour before I can move because it aches so bad. Sometimes I have trouble grasping things, and I know there's swelling; I've had to stop wearing my rings because they don't fit much anymore. I apologize for just signing up and asking questions, but my insurance is going to run out (which I've only had for about three months) and I just don't know what to do. Thanks in advance if anyone has an answer!
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Is there a clinic somewhere that helps people w/o health insurance in your area? Do you have a regular Dr. (they might be able to refer or help you if you tell them your situation) A quick visit may help you - a test for RA is a blood test. When is your ins. going to run out? I'd get in before it does. My Doc has always been great about helping me with samples of meds etc when needed. (my co pay is so high on certain meds)

It sounds like you might have some sort of arthritis. Whether it be RA or something else. You really should be seen - not only for a diagnosis, but so that someone can help you with your pain. Have you tried any of the anti-inflammatories? Joint pain and swelling can be a few different things. I think you need some peace of mind and some relief.

For immediate relief, you may want to try Capzasin (sp?), it's topical and can help with joint and muscle pain. A little goes a long way, so be careful - and don't touch your eyes, they will burn!

Please don't apologize for signing up and asking questions! That's what this board is for!
    Keep us posted!! In other words come back!!! =)

Janalynn
  3. courtneyshea

courtneyshea New Member

I have a regular doctor, yes. She made referrals for orthopaedics and rheumatology. I was at ortho today and they said they can't really do anything for me. My insurance will probably run out within the next month unless I can sign up for summer classes -- fast. They just can't seem to get me any appointments anytime soon. The rheumatology appt. isn't until the 20th of June; I guess I'll have to deal with it until then. I was on Etodolac, but that didn't seem to help.

Is Capsaicin over the counter?

Thanks!
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm sorry you're not getting anywhere with your Dr.'s YET. Hopefully the rheumatologist will be able to give you some direction!

Yes Capzasin is over the counter. It won't "cure" your problem, but it can be very helpful in relieving the pain. They have a new 'roll on' kind so it doesn't get on your hands (then accidentally to your eyes or something)

Give it a try and see if it helps you!
    Janalynn