Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by G.I.Jane, Sep 8, 2002.

1. G.I.Jane

G.I.Jane New Member

Hi everybody! I was wondering if anyone had a solution to my problem: I have found swimming to be by far the most helpful form of exercise. Our pool just closed for the summer - the only indoor pool I know of is at the YMCA but a year membership is almost $500. I just started with fibro in January '02, and so these are all new problems. Does anyone know of another way to get into the water? I have not yet checked with nearby universities to see what they charge for a membership. I graduated from PSU last Dec. and have only just started job searching since I was gaining strength and finishing up tests/procedures over the last 7 months. (hence, money is low :) I'd appreciate any ideas on this!! Thanx :)
  2. G.I.Jane

G.I.Jane New Member

Hi everybody! I was wondering if anyone had a solution to my problem: I have found swimming to be by far the most helpful form of exercise. Our pool just closed for the summer - the only indoor pool I know of is at the YMCA but a year membership is almost $500. I just started with fibro in January '02, and so these are all new problems. Does anyone know of another way to get into the water? I have not yet checked with nearby universities to see what they charge for a membership. I graduated from PSU last Dec. and have only just started job searching since I was gaining strength and finishing up tests/procedures over the last 7 months. (hence, money is low :) I'd appreciate any ideas on this!! Thanx :)
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I enroll as a student for the quarter or semester and it costs about $60.00~~~~well worth it and I take an hour long water therapy program on M, W, F after work.....this may be of help to you.
    Love,
    Kady
  4. xo4damama

xo4damama Member

you can take without actually being a member? I also know that here the Y does allow non members to swim at a per visit fee. Maybe they do something like that there too? We have a local Holiday inn that also has water classes you

Good luck! It would be terrible to have the one therapy that works for you lost!
  5. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Congrats on getting your degree! I started out at PSU (2 yrs at Altoona Campus, 1 semester at State College) then ended up finishing school in Rhode Island. I'm living in MD now.

You've gotten some good advice already, so I'll just welcome you, and tell you, from your bio, you have a terrific attitude!!

Looking forward to more of your posts. Take care. Michele
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello, welcome to the board. Just read your Bio, you sound like an upbeat young lady determine to beat this illness! Good for you.

Just stopped to welcome you, I see you have received some good ideas for swimming pools.

I am sure you could try the local hotels also, my daughter used to use the Holiday Inn's heated pool, and they were very nice about it. Worth a try.

Again, a big welcome to you, keep that great attitude you have!

Shalom, Shirl

7. G.I.Jane

G.I.Jane New Member

Hi! Thank you so much - I will *definitely* check it out!!
  8. G.I.Jane

G.I.Jane New Member

Okay, I think I'm starting to see how this messaging works! Thanks to everyone for ideas, and the 'welcome's' were so sweet!! :)