Any Indoor Gardeners

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by caffey, Mar 5, 2007.

1. caffey

caffey New Member

I am sitting here in my solarium with the afternoon sun thinking (oh no) lol and I am wondering does anyone know if it is possible to grow tomatoes and peppers or some other veggies indoors. I live in a condo. It does get pretty warm in here in the afternoon. Looking for any way to save money. Thanks.
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Unless you get a very extended length of sunshine coming through the windows where the plants would be located, I think you would end up with tall leggy plants with only a few little tomatoes or peppers on them. Those two types of plants require LOTS of sunshine.

I wonder if you could grow loose leaf lettuce?
  3. caffey

caffey New Member

I live on the second floor and get about 3 hrs. of sunshine in the afternoon. Maybe I will buy some seeds and see what happens. I am not a gardener.
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Garden???? Used to alot. A long time ago, I used to be a Master Gardener for the Agricultural Extension Service for one of the previous states that I lived in. I would volunteer my services to them.

Now, I'm in Texas where it is so hot during the day that you could probably fry eggs on the sidewalk.

Also, gardening in Texas is not like gardening anywhere else I've ever lived. This is equivalent to being dropped on a different planet. The saying around here is, "you may have known how to garden where you came from----but those rules don't work here!"

Plants here in Austin, TX have to be able to tolerate weeks during the summer with temperatures over 110 degrees daily.

We are also on solid bedrock. I literally hired a crew to jackhammer holes through the bedrock so I could put plants in my back yard!

Rain is scarce, and water rationing is a part of life here.

Basic soil. This soil is soooooooooo basic that I throw out coffee grounds on it constantly to help pull the pH closer to neutral.

Oh, caffey. 3 hours of daily sunshine will not be enough for tomatoes or peppers. Do you have a balcony where they would receive more sunshine than that per day?
  5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Caffey, Three hours a day is pretty short, esp in Canada.
    Maybe you could switch a regular light to a full spectrum plant grow light? May help with SADS or depression also.

Some plants are affected by length of daylight as to whether blossom, etc. For indoor planting tomatoes I usually just get seeds from a hyroponic tomatoe that tastes good bought from supermarket. I figure they may not be as length of day sensitive.
    Brussel sprouts can be grown from the round sprouts.
    I don't like killing plants, so sometimes I'll do things like planting a carrot top with about an inch of root remaining. Usually put in water first until roots form.
    Potatoes can be grown from a couple of eyes, of course. My worst problem is the tiny mite infestation and trying to get rid of them without making plant inedible.

Good luck. (Sometimes I don't get much of a crop, but it is fun trying.) mr Bill
    [This Message was Edited on 03/05/2007]
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Bring plenty of suntan lotion if your leaving your clothes behind!

Yep, nice and toasty hot. Hotter than Tabasco sauce straight out of the bottle.

It can get so hot down here that it takes your breath away when you first walk out of an airconditioned building.

My home has thick white rectangular stones for the exterior. The houses around me that are made of brick radiate heat for HOURS after the sun sets. The white stone doesn't get hot like the brick does.

In other parts of the country, one worries about the Southern exposure for heating up your house. Down here, one is concerned with the Western exposure. What ever is on the west side of the house ---COOKS!
  7. therealmadscientist

I am trying two parsnips tops and they seem to be doing better than the carrot I have now. 'course have to like parsnips!

Herbs like parsley seem to do well. Maybe I just like to experiment. Cheers, mr Bill

Also, there are several free good seed and plant catalogs that are fun to read and fantasize about in middle of winter. They usually indicate how much sun the plants need.[This Message was Edited on 03/06/2007]
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have seen ads for tomatoes that grow in a hanging planter. They might be more suitable for indoor gardening. I don’t know how much sun they require.
  9. I used to, now I just have tons of houseplants, and they are thriving, but I know they love to move out to our backporch for sun and fresh air, like we do too! SPRING HURRY UP!
  10. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Insecticides! THAT is how they are so insect free and perfect.

I have a friend who is an "organic" eater. She says,"do you REALLY want to eat something that a bug won't even touch?" Makes you think![This Message was Edited on 03/07/2007]
  11. therealmadscientist

Joyfully, that is pretty good. I may have to steal it. lol, mr Bill
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2007]
  12. What is a hanging tomato plant?
  13. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

just started my seeds ,put them in my window.

planted herbs,and tomato plants ,we have a large garden out past the horse pasture.which I have to take the old golf cart to get to. right in the sun and w e fenced it off so the horses can"t get at hubby takes care of this one.
    but we have a huge deck so I"m going to put patio tomato,s and green peppers in big pots out there so when I need them they"ll be close I'll just go out the back door and pick them,I"m going to try the hanging tomato plant and see how it goes .
    I also have flower boxes on the rail of the deck I"m going to get more and trasfer my herbs out to the deck.
    I love the smell of basil and rosemary. can use them for you bath also. its 50 out here today so I just can"t wait till it gets really warm. happy planting sixtyslady