Any info about FFC.....Going for 1st visit soon......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by browneyes259, Sep 26, 2005.

1. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

Hello, All!

I have visited this board off and on now since I was diagnosed with FMS about 5 yrs ago. Just curious to get some input from anyone who has visited the FFC centers across the country. I have spent quite a lot of time looking into it before making an appt. and it all seems above board, but I just hate to get my hopes up to have them dashed as they so often are with this disease.

I was pleasantly surprised tonight when I came on and saw some posting about what others have experienced at other FFC centers.

I will be going to the one in Dallas, TX on Oct. 6th. I told my husband last night that I am scared to go, because even though I've tried not to I haven't been able to help getting my hopes up for any improvement at all.

The past few flares have been my longest and most painful ever. So very emotionally and physically exhausted.

Anyway, enough blabbing. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jen
  2. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

I have gone to my first appt only and all I can tell you is that they certaintly seem to know their stuff. Everyone was very compassionate and friendly. I go back in 2 weeks for my next appt and find out my lab results.

You can do a search for FFC posts.( there are alot) and you can probably get any questions answered that way. Many people on this board go there and have been very pleased.

Hope this helps!
    Dani
  3. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

so many people w/o FMS, CFIDS, etc. are always throwing out quick fixes for us.....makes me feel A LOT better to know that there are so many trying the same facility....

Jen
  4. MKlady

MKlady New Member

for FFC and fibro center to get all the posts on this topic. Many of us have posted our progress reports. Good luck!
  5. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I have been going to the FFC in Atlanta since early MAy. HEre are a couple of tips. They are very open to questrions no matter how silly they seem to you so ask away!

You may feel worse before youstart to feel better. It will probably take 4-6 months to see big differences and maybe longer.

The rate of recovery is dependent on what they find and how long you have been ill, how you respond to treatment ect...

It is not easy and you really have to be committed and try to have a positive attitude. This is key. Some of this is mental. By that I mean handleing stress and being positive not that it's in our minds.

I am feeling tons better and doing things I would never have done back in April. As a bonus my skin, hair and nails are all looking great!

Prepare to find some peace when they are so understanding and you have a piece of paper with test results that verify the things you are battleing!

Good Luck and please post on what happens and on how you are doing! Lynn
  6. intrigue

intrigue New Member

Hi Jen,

I am thinking of going to the Dallas clinic as well. (I'm trying to work out monetary details)

I've done a lot of reading about the FFC's recently ...and I haven't found anything bad so far (other than high costs).

I am with you on being scared. I am always nervous about new medications and new treatments. I always fear of ending up worse than when I started.

However, I think these guys (the FFC's) are the best equipped to help us.

Good luck!
  7. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

Just having people understand what I'm going through lifts such a huge load off my shoulders. Knowing that there are people you don't have to worry about explaining everything to is such a relief.

Thanks for the info and I will check out past threads for more.

Intrigue, the $$ thing was a big issue for me as well, but thankfully I have a saint for a husband. We will be charging everything but what's a little more debt piled on!? Seriously though he is committed to trying to get me healthy and I appreciate his understanding so much.

In the long run I'm expecting a good return on my money. Positive thinking!! I hope you can work things out financially for yourself soon.

Thanks again to all & I'll let you know how my first appt goes.

By the way, anyone have any trouble driving yourself home after getting all that blood drawn?? Just wondering if I should bring my hubby with. It's about an hour drive home.

Jen

8. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Absolutely bring your husband with you! You will need another set of ears as you will be bombarded with info! You can never remember everything. Also It will help him to understand the commitment you wll be making and exactly what is goign on with you. You may be tired after you finish you will be spending about 3 hours there so he will need to drive you home. Take Care Lynn
  9. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

will do.....

Jen
  10. intrigue

intrigue New Member

Today I bit the bullet and made my appt with the Dallas FFC.

I will definitely be bringing my hubby with me as I am a big HUGE baby, and I'm sure to have issues with the amount of blood they take.
    :)

I'll be sure to post my results. Jen, hope to hear about your experience as well!

11. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

You could not possibly be a bigger baby than me!! I cryed when I talked to the Dr! I have to admit the blood taking sounded worse than it was. The lady at the Atlanta FFC does it all day long and after the initial prick it wasn't bad. It goes very fast. I just have to close my eyes and not look.

A word of warning: They will use both arms. One arm will get tapped out. If you get an IV ask for a warm pack on top to relieve the pain. Its not bad just an ache. Good Luck and take care. Lynn