Any info about Pain Management Centers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Dec 5, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I am running out of options as far as rhuemetologists are concerned, and I am considering a local pain center. What do they do? Do they prescribe meds, do physical therapy or what. I beleive I am at the point that I need a narcotic pain med but all my rhuemy wants to give me is anti-inflammatories, and I have no inflammation I have allready tried 5 different ones with no luck. Will a pain management center help me?

Thanks,
    Maria
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I am running out of options as far as rhuemetologists are concerned, and I am considering a local pain center. What do they do? Do they prescribe meds, do physical therapy or what. I beleive I am at the point that I need a narcotic pain med but all my rhuemy wants to give me is anti-inflammatories, and I have no inflammation I have allready tried 5 different ones with no luck. Will a pain management center help me?

Thanks,
    Maria
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

I have no experience with a pain management center, but I know there are members here who do, so at least this will bump you up where they (hopefully) will see it. And they can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that pain management is approached by using meds, physical therapy, possibly diet changes and supplements, trigger point injections, etc. I've been fortunate so far, the doc who diagnosed me has used all of the above is still prescribing meds for me. However, he has referred me to a rheumy, appt. is Dec. 23, his reason was for what's going on in my hands, but he included all my diagnoses on the referral. Then I see him again on Dec. 27. My biggest fear right now is that he will stop treating me and he's been wonderful and open to making sure he is giving me enough meds to last from one visit to another - I usually see him every 6 to 8 weeks.
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...with these rheumatologists who prescribe anti-inflammatories for FM pain?? Not an inflammatory condition! Why don't you contact the pain mgmt. center and ask some questions about if they treat fibro patients, etc.---something that might make you feel that they are experienced & comfortable with treating FM....

Good luck, Maria, I hope you find some relief.

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

I go to UCSF pain management in San Francisco about every 6 weeks. I kinda did things backwards. When I first started I knew I was going for an epidural so thats all I got. They usually schedule patients to go through a complete evaluation which includes both physical and mental. I wish I had not been so scared of the mental part because here I am a year later and in desparate need of counseling or whatever will help me cope with living in pain on a day to day basis. I do know that they always ask about the meds I take and make sure that I am comfortable in between appts. If I think I will run out they write a script. Also when they do the epidurals and selective nerve blocks, they make sure I am comfortably sedated and feeling no pain. I gotta tell you that's the best part. lol Anyway if you have anymore questions just email me and I will respond.
    Ciao 4 now
    Sandy
    ps my addy is on my profile[This Message was Edited on 12/05/2002]
  6. nitalynn

nitalynn New Member

I'm bumping you back up again.
  7. AnitaQuiles

AnitaQuiles New Member

Hi....I went to pain management before..I wish that the doctor had stayed and not moved away....bummer!
    anyway, he did blocks(for my ribcage-chronic pain)...I had to go to the hospital/outpatient, and he blocked the pain alright.
    I felt 100% great the third day...(it hurts some the first two days when they inject you...ouch!) but I felt soooooo good for a couple of months. I had to get it done twice for costochondritis....but then he left me! He also prescribed Lortab, a narcotic that gave me back my life!!! But now my primary care dr. took it away! He said it can be habit forming, so I only take it as needed for flare ups. I have cotochondritis, fms, cfs, and I am in pain EVERYday!!
    I go now to rheumatologist who uses lots of meds...and they do not work as well. I use now Ultracet. Pain management is a good option to consider. I would go to the first appt. just to find out what they can do for you!
    take care.
    anita/pain will NOT take over my life!