Any info on Arginine - amino acid?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isee, Jul 31, 2003.

1. isee

isee New Member

Hi Everyone,

I got results back from Organic Acids' test, and among other things, it stated that I was lacking in the amino acid, arginine. I'd
    never even heard of it before today. Apparently, it's a precursor to creatine, which is used to metabolize proteins. And, it adds fibers to the ends of muscles, to lengthen and strenthen them.

If you know about arginine, as a supplement, I'd like to hear from you. Test says I need between 1000-2000 mg daily.

Thanks,

Anna
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

that it is what they injected me with during a test for growth hormones. It's what was injected to see if they could stimulate my petuitary gland to start producing growth hormones.

Dara
  3. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Hi Anna,

A good way of taking Arginine is in Honey, and even better is Bee Pollen or Royal Jelly (expensive though).

The list of vitamins, nutrients, amino acids, minerals etc in Bee products is simply staggering.....they contain every nutrient to sustain and support life.....ALL of the 22 basic elements that the human body requires...rich in essential B vitamins, vitamin A and Vitamin C, amino acids....bee products are simply miraculous rejuvenators!*

Amino Acids are the chemical building blocks of proteins. Proteins make up muscles, ligaments, tendons, organs, glands, and are essential for the growth of bones. Proteins are chains of amino acids linked together.

In order for your body to use the food that you eat, the body needs amino acids to make up its necessary proteins.

Dietary protein is first broken down into amino acids, which your body then uses to build the specific proteins, hormones, antibodies and neurotransmitters it needs.

Amino acids are also needed for vitamins and minerals to work.

I have this article for you to read through, you`ll see what I mean:-

Through the ages, bee gathered pollen has been used as a food, a source of energy and a cure or preventative for all manner of maladies. While it is clear that some claims for its remarkable properties are exaggerated, it remains that pollen is a very wholesome food, a potent source of essential amino acids (protein) necessary for the building and maintenance of body tissue and muscle, a powerful metabolic regulator and a remedy for a host of human problems. It should be noted however, that a very few people are allergic to some varieties of pollen. For this reason it is best to eat only a pinch at first. The symptoms to be aware of are a burning sensation in the back of the throat and watering eyes. Pollen is the male germ of the plant world. The pollen grains themselves are microscopic, haploid germ cells, each with two nuclei and each capable of affecting fertilization in a plant of its own species. Physically, pollen is a flour-like substance which varies widely in color and flavor depending on the specific floral source. Apricot pollen, for example, is pea-green in color and sweet tasting while dandelion pollen is yellow-orange in color and somewhat bitter. Pollen is the protein source in the bee's diet, while honey supplies their carbohydrate requirements. Honeybee-gathered pollen, or bee pollen, differs from pollen on the flower in that the bee, in order to facilitate carrying the pollen back to the hive, packs it into pellets by mixing the dry grains with a tiny bit of honey. Also important is the fact that bees know and will select (blend) the most nutritious varieties of pollens. This creates a well balanced, complete and highly nutritious food. When the bees enter a hive equipped with a pollen trap, they are directed through a grid. Some of the pollen pellets are dislodged from the bees' legs and fall into a drawer below. The bee pollen is then gathered weekly, carefully screened and Winded, and immediately until packaging. During the pollen season, (May-September) pollen is sold fresh directly from the hive. Surplus pollen is frozen. Out of season, the frozen pollen is sold in chronological order. The bulk of our pollen is gathered from native, wild flora. Some pollen, however, is from cultivated plants such as alfalfa, apple or peach. Nothing is added or taken from our pollen and it is in no way altered from the wholesome state in which the bees gathered it. Bee pollen is a very potent food. Do not overindulg. Consumption of one or two teaspoons per day is about right for most people. Those using bee pollen to treat an allergy or malady such as prostitis may wish to eat a bit more. It should be remembered that pollen is a food and not a medicine. It is best to eat just a pinch or two at first and then gradually work up It is best to eat pollen along with other foods. Sprinkle it on salads, mix it with orange juice, spread on toast with honey, or make your own culinary delight. Pollen is a perishable food not unlike bread. It may be kept frozen or refrigerated and, most importantly, it should be kept dry. Pollen has been demonstrated to be highly effective in the treatment of chronic prostitis, bleeding stomach ulcers, respiratory infections and various allergy reactions. The bulk of information regarding pollen's curative, preventative, pharmaceutical and regulatory effects comes from individuals and the scientific communities of Europe. It is claimed that pollen is a cure for several types of anemia in that it stimulates the production of red blood cells. Pollen is an excellent treatment for chronic constipation. After severe illness or shock, pollen tends to accelerate restoration of weight and strength. Pollen is a ready supply of muscle building protein for strength and stamina as many professional and amateur athletes will testify. Pollen is a powerful natural antibiotic and as such is a preventative for many bacterial infections such as colds. Pollen has a profound revitalizing effect on elderly people. Pollen tends to normalize major metabolic functions, stimulating appetite in the anemic and curbing it in the obese. Bee pollen has been used very successfully as an immunizer against wind-born pollen allergies, (hay fever) by accustoming the allergic person to the tiny amount of wind-born pollen in the bee pollen. Pollen stimulates and normalizes digestion. Pollen acts as a mile sedative, having a pleasant, calming effect. Pollen has been shown to retard aging of the skin. The following is a representative analysis of the composition of bee pollen. The precise composition will vary somewhat depending on the floral source and local soil types. The following should be a good rule of thumb: Gross composition of dry matter; Ash (minerals) - 4%, Carbohydrate - 40%, Fiber - 7%, Lipid - 4%, Protein - 45% (as compared to 15% for a T-bone steak or 13% for a whole egg.) Free amino acids; alanine, arginine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, glycine, histine, seucine/isoleucine, lysine, methionine, phenylaianine, proline/hydroxyproline, tyrocine, valine. Pollen contains all 8 essential amino acids, those which the body is unable to biosynthesize, in a very favorable proportion for human consumption. Pollen also contains ash (major minerals), potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, sulfur, water (trace minerals), aluminum, boron, chlorine, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, nickel, silicon, titanium and zinc. Pollen contains the B-Vitamins 2, 3, 6 and 12, as well as Vitamins C, E, H, i.e., riboflavin, nicotinic acid, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, ascorbic acid, tocopherol, biotin, plus at least 11 caratenoids (Vitamin A), and 8 flavinoids. Pollen also contains the nucleic acids DNA and RNA a wide variety of enzymes and a host of other components.

Hope this info helps you, all the best.

Pat.
  4. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Bee Pollen comes in granular form.
    I would imagine you`ll get this from a health store.
    Found mine in my local veggie roadside stop of all places...

Tap Bee Pollen into a search engine - You`ll get a load of info there.

Love Pat.
  5. isee

isee New Member

Thanks for the article, Pat. I know that bee pollen is quite
    nutritious, and it doesn't surprise me to hear that it contains so many vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. I know that amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, but I guess I didn't know specifically about arginine.

Dara - what you said about arginine injections to produce growth hormone is interesting. It reminded me what I also read about how arginine, specifically, has been seen as connected to growth hormone.

Bek - thanks for bumping this post.

Since arginine is only one of many amino acids, used by our bodies to build muscle and create neurotransmitters, both of
    which go haywire with this illness, I wondered why it was THE ONE singled out as the one I needed on this Organic Acids test. I will continue to research it. But its connection with both growth hormones and lengthening and restoring muscles intrigues me. Particularly the muscle, because in this now year-long relapse, I've noticed how much flabbier and looser my muscles are, compared to what they were in previous relapses.

Thanks again for your posts.

Anna