Any Info On Using A Tanning Bed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rain122865, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

Just wondering if anyone uses a tanning bed and if it helps or if you have FMS and CFS you should not use one? I know alot of meds are photo sensitive but other than that does anyone have any info? I have a tanning bed that I bought for the kids to use (10 teens).....they just had to have one ...needless to say it makes a GREAT place to pile clothes, no one uses it and if it could help I will make someone put the laudry away and try it.
  2. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

Just wondering if anyone uses a tanning bed and if it helps or if you have FMS and CFS you should not use one? I know alot of meds are photo sensitive but other than that does anyone have any info? I have a tanning bed that I bought for the kids to use (10 teens).....they just had to have one ...needless to say it makes a GREAT place to pile clothes, no one uses it and if it could help I will make someone put the laudry away and try it.
  3. fibolady

fibolady New Member

help with the sad (?) disorder. longer periods of darkness during winter where you become more depressed. ??

before the fms was so bad and i was on no meds, i used to use them and always felt so much better afterwards. i'd be interested in these replies too, a new topic.

warm regards, fibolady
  4. blast

blast New Member

Yes, I know I am crazy, but I just love the way they make me feel. The heat helps the pain, (so what if it is for a short period of time), and helps me be able to relax. I believe it reduces stress, and helps with the seasonal depression. The bed also gives you a glow and does in fact help you to feel better because you, overall, look better. I have seen nothing in writing about tanning beds except negative things, the skin cancer, but what else is new. Oh and certain meds can give you a reaction. I know one of them is Elavil, and a lot of people with FMS use this drug. If you are not sure about interactions with the meds ask your doc or pharmacist. If they tell you there aren't any turn it on and hop on in!!!! Oh and it's real relaxing to listen to headphones with music, motivational tapes, book on tapes, and stress reduction tapes.
    Good luck and I also hope you find some info you can pass along. I really miss tanning!!!(I take Elavil)
    Sherri

P.S. I forgot to mention that a lot of us FMS sufferers are sensitve to sunlight. I sometimes get hives or red blotches on my face and other places. (Legs and arms mostly) Everyone is different so you just have to try and hope for the best.
  5. sybil

sybil New Member

tanning beds can be very dangerous if not used properly.
    you must only use them for about 10 minutes at a time.they have the same effect as any exposure to the sun does and your skin will wrinkle and you have a potential to develop skin cancer.
    i used to work with a girl about 8 years ago,she was only about 24,but she looked about 40,her skin was so lined,that was due to using a tanning bed every day.
    it may be beneficial for the pain,but infra red treatments give you the heat without the harmful ultra violet.
    if you have very pale red-haired skin,like i have,you should be even more careful,we burn far easier than most people.i always wear sunblock,even in winter,

sybilxxx
  6. marinemom

marinemom New Member

every once in a while. Like others say, the heat feels wonderful. And I consider that my own little hidey hole! Ain't NO ONE yelling Mom while I'm in there! AAHHHH, just a few minutes peace and quiet!

Unfortunately, I haven't had the energy to go lately. But your post just reminded me of how wonderful they are. HHMMMMM, I'll have to try to start back!

Smiles
    Kathy
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And, yes, it did help my SAD when I lived in Colorado. I now live in sunny FL, so I don't need them. I think they can be dangerous if overused.

You can buy a lightbox or simply spend 10-15 minutes outside without sunglasses each day to great benefit. It helps keep our internal clocks tuned.

Love, Mikie
  8. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Hi Rain,
    I agree with what Blast said.
    Tanning beds are like most anything, moderation is the key. I own a 20 bed salon and we have several people with FMS that tan and they swear by them. They really do help with the pain for a while. It can be a short term solution (maybe not solution but a help) to a long time problem. I myself use them in moderation. I make sure I never burn my skin because that's what causes the damage.
    If anyone is thinking about tying this just be sure and start out slow. If you are a redhead start out really slow and work your way up to the full 20 minutes.
    We have one man that is in his 80's and has arthritis and he comes during the winter for that. I love to see him coming, he's so cute.
    Please do make sure your meds do not make you sensitive to the sun. I would hate for you to get burned.
    Rain, I think you should fold the laundry and give that thing a try. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

Sapphire
  9. tes

tes New Member

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while now and I just never came around to doing it. Let me tell you my story. Suffering with fms for about 8 years.(I am now 31). Always in the flare stages, then last year I went away and decided to get a pre-tan. When I came back, I wanted to keep my beautiful tan, so I continued to go. Once a week for 15 minute sessions(didn't overuse it). I did this for about 10 months and I couldn't believe the difference!!!!! My chest didn't ache as much, my lower ribs were actually pain free, and I had so much energy. I don't think I was in remission for that long. It was the beds. A good friend of mine has rheumetoid arthritis, and she was actually told that it's been proven to help. When I used to go to the beds, the owner told me 50% of his patients were there for medical reasons(arthritis, fms, etc.) The reason I stopped going was because my fear of skin cancer(I have a small mole from young so it scared me. Although, I do cover it with two bandages). Anyway, to make a long story short, I have had the worst year yet(stopped going to beds about 1 year ago), and I'm really considering going back for relief.

I hope this info helped and if you have any questions, please feel free to post back.

Take care,
    Tes
  10. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

and now totally regret it. I've since learned they are more damaging to the skin than the sun. The tanning bed 'rays' damage the deeper layers of skin.

Now I use a great spray on tanner called aerotan by sexsymbol - it's temporary.

And the self tanners now adays work great too. I used them all summer so when my husband took me on weekend errands I didn't blind people! ha! ha! I was in bed sleeping most the summer from exhaustion.
  11. sean

sean New Member

A sunbed may help a little, but does'nt contain the full spectrum of light you find in the sun rays, you can get full spectrum lighting, by obtaining a light box, this has been found to be helpful for some sad sufferers, even more so when combining with serotonin based anti depressants. If you don't like the idea of sitting in front of a light box for a couple of hours a day you can get a visor, or special glasses that you can wear, you can also get an alarm clock that you can set to come on gradually omitting full spectrum lighting in to your bedroom, so your not waking up in a dark room.
  12. sybil

sybil New Member

because i hate sitting in direct sunlight.i'm so fair i burn easily.after having sunstroke at 14,i fell asleep on a hot day,that totally put me off sunbathing.i quite like being pale and considering i'm not far off 50,i have only a few fine lines at the side of my eyes.but i sometimes use a self tanning spritz on my legs,they don't streak and they look far more natural than creams.but i always use a full factor 35 childrens sunblock,before putting my makeup on,winter and summer.if it's safe enough for kids,it shouldn't harm my skin!
    but for heat...i'm rather partial to a hot water bottle,or a hot bath,

sybilxxx