ANY INPUT APPRECIATED - Elevated Sed rate - What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 27, 2006.

ProHealth CBD Store
  1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I haven't met with my dr yet so this is probably premature but I called for the labs and the said my sed rate was 35. I looked up normal and it should be less than 20 (I am 32 y/o). Is this high??? They didn't really tell me much more except the doc isn't too worried but will go over it all with me in TWO weeks. UGH! I hate the waiting.

I know I hurt a lot - especially in my back and feet. I'm just trying to figure what this means for me. What has it meant for you?

Any input at all would be much appreciated.

Sofia
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2006]
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Just looking for input.
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

...but I have the same thing so I have done some research and there are numerous medical experts (MCD56 for one) on this board who have helped me.

SED rate is a test for inflammation and having it high means that your body is experiencing inflammation of some sort...mine has been routinely high September along with my C-Reactive protien. My rheumy has had me a low-dose of prednisone and now has me on Humira to try to get the inflammation down. I cut and pasted some info from WebMD's site for better information.

Sedimentation Rate
    The sedimentation rate (sed rate) blood test measures how quickly red blood cells (erythrocytes) settle in a test tube in one hour.

When inflammation is present in the body, certain proteins cause red blood cells to stick together and fall more quickly than normal to the bottom of the tube. The more red cells that fall to the bottom of a special test tube in one hour, the higher the sed rate. These proteins are produced by the liver and the immune system under many abnormal conditions, such as an infection, an autoimmune disease, or cancer. There are many possible causes of an elevated sedimentation rate. For this reason, a sed rate is done with other tests to confirm a diagnosis. Once a diagnosis has been made, a sed rate can be done to help monitor the course of the disease or the effectiveness of treatment.

C-Reactive Protein (CRP)

Overview
    This blood test measures the amount of C-reactive protein (CRP) produced by your liver when you have inflammation somewhere in your body. Higher-than-normal levels of CRP may indicate inflammation or a bacterial infection, such as rheumatic fever. CRP levels do not always change with a viral infection. However, a CRP test cannot indicate where the inflammation is located or what is causing it. Other tests are needed to determine the cause and location of the inflammation.

C-reactive protien
    A CRP test is most commonly done to monitor the activity of a range of inflammatory conditions. Some of these conditions are polymyalgia rheumatica, inflammatory bowel disease, temporal arteritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. This test can also be used to monitor your response to cancer treatment. It may be used to monitor your risk for infection after a major surgery.

4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

My Neurologist told me that an elevated Sed rate can be a sign of Polymalgia Rheumatica.

Polymyalgia rheumatica (pronounced pah-lee-my-al-jah room-at-i-ca) is a type of arthritis that affects the muscles.

It does not affect the bones, or the joints, which are the spots where two bones come together.
    It causes muscles to become stiff, tender and very sore. This is called inflammation.
    Even though the muscles are sore they do not become weak.
    Polymyalgia rheumatica affects the muscles of the neck, shoulders, lower back, hips and thighs.

I got the above description from a Google Search.

Lolalee
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

if 20 or less is normal, is 35 HIGH or just slightly elevated? Do any of you have high sed rates? How high? I'm just trying to rank this I guess.

thanks Sofi
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Over 18 in women indicates connective tissue disease, RA is a biggie with elevated rate. 35 is high. My mom's is now 40 and used to be 70, the Rheumy still has her on meds as 40 is high. I suspect 35 needs a rheumy honey.

I understand it also can show some other things too. MCD should know. Hey MCD are you there?

Love Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2006]
  7. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I forgot to include my lab test results on my last post to you. My Rheumy takes blood once a month to monitor how I am doing on the drugs. Each month it changes a bit but both inflammation markers (SED rate and C-RP) are around this number. I also have elevated white blood cells...

White blood count - 17.2 (normal is 4 to 10.5)
    Full range CRP - 51.8 (normal is 0 to 5.0)
    Sed Rate - 57 (normal is 0 to 20)

He is very concerned about the inflammation since I pretty much have the FMS symptoms under control, plus FMS doesn't really have elevated inflammation markers. He is treating me for seronegative Rheumatoid Arthritis and I injecting humira twice a month.
  8. minxlinx

minxlinx New Member

A SED rate of 35 is high, but not that high. A SED rate in excess of 100 is generally a marker of certain cancers. At 35 you could have any type of infection or nothing at all. Your SED rate can be affected by medications as well as a number of other things. Also it may be an isolated high number for you.

If you had a slightly elevated white blood cell count you could be fighting any sort of bug and have nothing to be concerned about.

CRP is a more specific test for inflammation. You don't say whether or not you had that tested as well.

My SED rate, unless I am on 30-40 mg of prednisone is generally 45-50.

The latest rheumy told me some people just have an elevated rate and it means nothing. You are young to have polymyalgia rhuematica, since it generally strikes people over 50.

I imagine your doctor will probably do another SED rate when he sees you, along with a few other tests. Try not to worry since your SED rate isnt that high.

Good luck.
    Ariel
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I go to my rheumy this week and thta is really excellent info that last poster just gave on SRD(CRD?) etc and that some people can have higher ones. Mine is low normal, yet I show all other signs of connective tiissue disease so I will ask for that other test. Thanks a lot, even though this is not my post, what useful info here.

Love again Anne C
  10. Bunchy

Bunchy Member

I have had a high sed rate for a few years around 35 just like you. It happened after a very nasty weird virus and I have continued to get a lot of viruses ( some with allergic reactions such as hives, itchy eyes and bad exzema) ever since.

I also experienced increased muscle pain, soreness and stiffness with this so bad at some points I could hardly move. Don't know whether I have polymyalgia R or not.

Might be an idea to get some further testing as you may need medication to get the inflammation down although my doc never did anything, said it would subside eventually. I am on the mend from this particular problem now thank God!

Hugs Bunchy x
  11. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Sed rates are signs of inflammation and can be caused from arthritis, liver disease, muscle inflammation and problems, and various things.

THEY ARE ALMOST ALWASYS ELEVATED IN FM AND ARTHRITIS.

12. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thank you for everyone's input.

I so want to figure this all out and I know that is easier said than done. When I piece my sx together I feel the best dx for my is the mixed connective tissue disease. I have so many elements of the various autoimmune diseases but don't fit one perfectly.

Sjogrens describes a lot of my sx but I also relate a lot to several of the others. It could all be connected to my thyroid. This is such a guessing game.

To be honest, my biggest fear is that I'll go to my dr and he'll say there's nothing wrong with me and send me home. I've gotten to where that just isn't good news anymore because I KNOW SOMETHING IS WRONG! I just want to know what it is.

I'm sure most of you understand this. Thank you all for being a safe place for me to come.

Sofi
  13. Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  14. Thank you for that info I was trying to find out about a sed rate of 115 how bad it was to be that high. You said over 100 is high I know I have an infection but was concerned when I read what she'd rate should be. Will see doctor in 3 weeks will see what he does. Thanks
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Love,

Welcome to this wonderful website which has been a God send to me and so many others. I hope your doc can help you. So many of our conditions are inflammatory and it can take time and trial and error to figure it all out. Be sure to sign up for the newsletter here.

If you want to get away from your illness for a bit, check out the Chit Chat Forum and the others where you can find friends. We have an ongoing Porch post where we keep up with one another. It is named the Porch because it's like gathering on someone's porch to catch up with one another.

Everyone here is friendly and helpful. Again, welcome aboard.

Love, Mikie
  16. Kimerella

Kimerella Member

Hello Love .

Nice to meet you. Hope to see you around. Please let us know how it goes.

Kim
  17. Thank you for the welcome, I will check out the chit chat and porch. You made me smile I was surprised to get the welcome and invite. Thank you
  18. Nice to meet you also I thought I would just come ask a question and leave but you made me feel welcome.
    Thank you
  19. Kimerella

Kimerella Member

I'm so happy you feel welcome. This is a place to ask questions, but even more you can get a lot of support. I will keep you in my prayers. Feel free to post or just read. We will be around.

Kim
ProHealth CBD Store