Any Jewlery Makers among us?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jun 17, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Since i love Beaded and Gemstone Jewlery of all types,,,decided to take up the Bead Jewlery making hobbie,,,,,starting to get my kit togeather,,,it looks like alot of fun and also alot to learn!,,,,

I'm trying to get myself familiar with all the terms and the types of Beads and findings i need to know about and collect,,,,

as usual i'm off on another fun thing to learn and to make gifts for others and myself,,,,,any advice would be very helpful and appreaciated!,,,,,,,,,,,,Sis
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Give yourself a budget!!!!

I am SO TEMPTED every time I walk into a shop. It's really hard to stick to just what I need for a project.

I've started collecting clippings from catalogs of things I like (Sundance usually has really great stuff), then I plan it out before I work -- at least on my nicer stuff. That was I try to buy only what I need, rather than 'estimate' when I'm standing in front of all this great stuff and end up over-buying.

HOWEVER, if you are seriously inspired by something you see, and it's not too expensive, keeping a stash will allow you to experiment and mix-n-match. Also fun!
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Have no info for you, but here's a reminiscence.

My mother used to make jewelry back in the 50s. She glued little shells to pieces of plastic. If you were foolish enough to pick them up, the shells fell off.

My mother had no artistic talent whatever; couldn't sew or knit. She finally found something she could do in the world of arts and crafts.

She painted figurines and then polished them w/ some sort of magic powder. Made them gleam like Lladro.

The funniest thing was when she put a pair of Santas in the furniture shop window of our village. My grandmother bought them and brought them home as a gift for mom.

4. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for the Budget tip!,,,It sounds like you are a very seasoned Jewlery Maker Juloo!,,,,Do you Make Necklacese,,Braclets and Earrings? i'm so Inspired by the Handmade earrings i've been getting from e-bay that i started to think,,,,,,wow! maybe i can do this!,,,,,so i'm going to give it a try!,,,,,,i'll start looking for some projects in magazines like you say!,,,,,,Thanks for your reply!

Rock,,,What a kool story about your Mom!,,,sounds like she had a true love for being a crafter!,,,Cute story about your Grandma buying the figurines that your Mom made and gave them back to her for christmas!,,,,,lolol,,,,funny how much we remember from our childhoods!,,,,,,,,,Sis
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

You can DEFINITELY do this. Our local bead shop has basic classes a couple of times a month. They're really inexpensive, and don't take too long. Each one focuses on a simple project, like earrings, or a bracelet. Three other women in my office had started doing beading, and it looked fun, so I wanted to try too! So I scheduled for a class with my (then 6-year-old) son to learn about making a bracelet. I let him pick out the beads and arrange them, and I put the whole thing together. It made a very nice Christmas present from him to his grandmother.

One of the nice things about finding other people nearby (if you can -- all of my friends have moved away!) is that you can get together at lunch or whatever and have bead exchanges to trade your surplus project beads.

P.S. My favorite item to make is a bracelet. I've also made a few necklaces, and also some eyeglass holders -- fun ones for holidays.

[This Message was Edited on 06/18/2008]
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

More Great Advice!,,,I ordered a Basic Bead jewlery findings kit for 9.95 that has 3-4 different instruction sheets on how to make E's,,,N's and B's,,,, hardware like the ear wires and clasps,,etc,,,,,Been going to the local $ store to find cheap beads to start out with!,& tools ,,,,,,,they carry some precious Gems for a reasonable price,,,,,it's called "Dollar Plus",,,so they have stuff in their that coast more than a $,,,,,,i always find stuff that they forget to mark up for more than a $,,,,,,I Know,,lolol,,,not very nice!

we have another place called the "Powder Horn Traiding Company" ,,,they have Classes and Alot of Beads to choose from!,,,i'm definetly going to look into it!,,,also once a year they have a party called "The Bead Stampeed",,,,I'll have to restrain myself like you both say!,,,i'm sure that when you start out you want to buy everything!,,,,,it would be fun to get togeather for a beading project!

I'm glad your Son is taking an interest J,,,,My Girls Made the Hemp Beaded Braclets and anklets with their friends in highschool but at that time i was more interested in sewing & embroidery,,,,still am,,,,but now i am getting very excited about this new adventure!,,,,,,,,,,thanks for the organiznational tips!,,,,,,,Sis
  7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

That sounds like a lot of fun!

I heard of this website called etsy (I don't think I can give the ending address here, but I bet you can easily find it) that specializes in selling homemade arts and crafts. When you get good at it, down the road you might consider selling your stuff there if that interest you.

The jewelry will also make great gifts for people for birthdays and holidays. Ok, now this sounds really fun and tempting to me. Let us know how it goes!

Erika :)
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi,,,Thanks for the website! I know it will be a challange for me because of having carpal tunnel in my left wrist and hand,,,,Had surgery on the right hand a few years back so that works good now! Yea!,,,,,,Hey join in! if you want! i'll keep u posted!

Just go to e-bay and look under jewlery and it will tell you Artisan and Handcrafted jewlery,,,,,then you can see what people are making ,,,,,,,then they also have Kits to get you started on there! ,,,,,,,,,Sis
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I've been doing it for about a year now. It's fun, but I tend to be a perfectionist instead of just having fun.

That is great advice about not going overboard, I have more supplies than I will probably ever use, yet still get tempted to buy more.

Good Luck,

Sue in Ontario
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your replies!,,,i think this will be alot of fun and i'll learn how to do somethin new! I will definetly head your (Don't go Overboard advice everyone!),,,,,,,,,Thanks again for all your tips and advice!,,,,,,,,Sis
  11. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I don't know much about beading. But I wanted to tell you that I know someone who makes beautiful jewelry from buttons. Especially antique buttons! She is forever looking everywhere for special buttons. Then she sells her jewelry at craft shows.

Hope your new hobbie is rewarding.

12. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

My pleasure to give you the website. Sorry about your carpal tunnel and hand surgery. I have carpal tunnel in both hands, so I know what you are experiencing! I'm supposed to limit typing! I try, but it's hard to do that. I try to compensate by taking breaks and doing hand exercises. :)

I'm definitely going to check out Ebay and see what's out there. Thanks so much for telling me about that. I like to buy stuff locally in case I need to return stuff, but that will give me great ideas of what to look for.

Right now I'm in the middle of resting and packing for a trip and then will get back and gear up for another trip a few weeks later. Unfortunately, that's a lot for a person with fibro (sheesh!). ;-) IE, I'm going to hold off until I have more time to look into it. I wonder how expensive it is?? The economy is so nutso right now. Making gifts for people could definitely save some money there!

Have a blast and keep us posted! It just really sounds fun and like such a creative outlet. I love colors, shapes, and the infinite possibilities that making your own jewelry provides. TOO FUN!! Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Warm hugs, Erika
  13. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes i've seen the button jewlery dolores it's really neat!,,,,i know some of those buttons can go for alot of Money!,,,,,,,E-bay is a really good place to find them,,,,,,,i hope to get good enough to sell some too!,,,,,Thanks for your Well Wishes!

Erika,,,Oh' That's Great you get to take a couple trips this summer!,,,,,,got my first earring packet today in the mail,,,,so i'm going to sit down tonight and work on it!,,,,,,,,the carpal tunnle is a pain in the you know what! Do you have a wrist brace?,,,,,it helps if i wear it at night!,,,,,the rt. hand is still stiff but not to painful since the surgery,,,,,,,,Have Fun Traveling!,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,Sis
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

Got my first pair of earrings done!,,,and it actually didn't take very long!,,,they came in alittle kit with instructions,,,,,Good thing i have some of thoes Reading magnifying glasses!,,,,,,,

anyway they are wooden and turquoise beaded dangles,,i'll try to get a photo up of them,,,,,I Hope you all are having a great weekend!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,let me know if your makeing any Jewlery!,,,,,,,,,Sis