Any kind of therapy is a medical topic.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Skelly, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Skelly

Skelly New Member

Hi again,
    First of all, many thanks to the kind replies I had to my 'Poetry as Therapy' message I posted yesterday. I had a message from the moderator, however, saying that the Writers' Forum would be a more appropriate place to post my topic. First of all, I didn't know about that particular message board (my fault), and I agree that perhaps any actual poems or writings should be posted there rather than on the main message board.
    I would like to point out though, that my message about poetry being therapeutic for CFS in general, and the proof from other readers as well as my own improvement in health, should be considered, in my view, as a genuine "Medical Topic". We all know, as sufferers of this illness, about complimentary/alternative medicines, and surely creativity if it helps the mind or the soul, will have a positive effect on one's physical health too. I was trying to encourage people to unbottle feelings through poetry as well as encouraging empathy to be considered good 'medicine' too!
  2. Skelly

Skelly New Member

Hi again,
    First of all, many thanks to the kind replies I had to my 'Poetry as Therapy' message I posted yesterday. I had a message from the moderator, however, saying that the Writers' Forum would be a more appropriate place to post my topic. First of all, I didn't know about that particular message board (my fault), and I agree that perhaps any actual poems or writings should be posted there rather than on the main message board.
    I would like to point out though, that my message about poetry being therapeutic for CFS in general, and the proof from other readers as well as my own improvement in health, should be considered, in my view, as a genuine "Medical Topic". We all know, as sufferers of this illness, about complimentary/alternative medicines, and surely creativity if it helps the mind or the soul, will have a positive effect on one's physical health too. I was trying to encourage people to unbottle feelings through poetry as well as encouraging empathy to be considered good 'medicine' too!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I agree that sharing whatever works for us as therapy is a medical topic, but the actual writings should be posted on one of the other forums. The problem is that once people start seeing poetry on this board, it starts showing up in droves. That makes it difficult for those who don't want to have to hunt for medical info. That is why our sponsors created these other areas.

I might like taking nature photos as therapy, and I might mention here how helpful it has been to my health, but I would not be posting my pics here. I hope this distinction is helpful to you. We would love to read your peotry but we do need to keep this area focused on medical topics as much as possible.

Love, Mikie
  4. Skelly

Skelly New Member

I am replying to your second response to my posting of 'Poetry as Therapy'. I agreed entirely with what you said about posting actual poetry or writings on the main message board, which is precisely why I transferred them to the 'Writers' Forum' board, as you suggested. To prove I agreed with you, I think you may have forgotten the following which I wrote:

"I had a message from the moderator, however, saying that the Writers' Forum would be a more appropriate place to post my topic. First of all, I didn't know about that particular message board (my fault), and I agree that perhaps any actual poems or writings should be posted there rather than on the main message board."

I still believe that suggesting poetry as a 'medical' topic is valid if no poems are listed with it. As I have tried to say and will emphasize again, writing one's feelings down on paper is a valid clinical excercise. Why else does Cognitive Behavioural Therapy always encourage clients to write things down in diaries and notebooks? Writing IS therapy!

[ advertisement ]