ANY KNOWN HELP FOR SCIATIC PAIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATLADY912, May 16, 2003.

1. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

I'M HAVING REALLY BAD SCIATIC PAIN ON MY LEFT SIDE. THERE IS NOT PAIN MED THAT WILL HELP FOR IT BUT DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS HOW TO EASE IT OFF. IT IS DRIVING ME BATTY. JANICE
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

An ice pack off and on along the painful area. (20 minutes at a time) I had to do this for about 3 days and now when I notice the first twinge I do the ice pack thing for a few hours and it doesn't get so severe. Ice helps shrink the swollen nerve which is the offender !
    Good luck
  3. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Janice,
    I was going to mention the ice also but princess beat me to it. Also sometimes I combine ice and then warm clothes afterwards. This combo is very soothing and does dull the pain. I just hate it when it acts up, sometimes when I am walking it hits so hard that I have to stop for a few minutes and then try to walk again. What a pain (he he) that pain is. Sorry but sometimes I think a little levity is helpful. Hope your pain goes away quickly.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I have had two previous back surgeries. When you get sciatica it is due to inflammation of the nerves in your spine at that particular level of your back. Nothing will help unless you can reduce the inflammation and swelling around those nerves. If you use ice or anything on the skin, it needs to be applied at the source of the pain, which is in your back, at or just above where your pelvis joins your back - the area where your back bends.

I am surprised that you don't have a script for an anti-inflammatory. I hope you are better soon - I truly know how you feel.

Wishing you well,
    Lane