any link between fibro and ulcerative colitis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angellize69, Jan 29, 2006.

1. angellize69

angellize69 New Member

Im new to this forum so hello everyone.
    I have fibromyalgia and iga nephropathy and was told on friday that i have type 2 diabetes( i developed diabetes whilst pregnant firstly)
    My sister has ulcerative colitis and im sure, well i think im sure that i read somewhere that there is a family link between the two
    Can anyone help me?
  2. 2achy

2achy New Member

I do not know if there is a link or not. I'm curious myself because I have Crohn's (similar to Colitis), Fibromyalgia and Sarcoidosis.
  3. beaniej

beaniej New Member

I know that most people suffering from FMS also have irritable bowel syndrome. I have both. I also have ulcerative colitis. Whether it's IBS or ulcerative colitis or Crohn's Disease, there seems to be a link with FMS and the bowels. I don't know for sure. I wish the doctors could explain the link.

Take care.

Jane
  4. angellize69

angellize69 New Member

Hopefuly somebody will be able to tell us if there is a link,ive scoured the net but cant find where i saw it.
    Probably read it wrong knowing me..lol
  5. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I believe there is a link...

My problems began soon after a partial hysterectomy (1993), then a neck injury requiring surgery (1994), then taking major nsaids for the inflammation and in 1995 began my journey with Ulcerative Colitis...

A study done in the UK suggested UC is linked to nsaid use/abuse...

I know it's connected for me and it seems by the numbers of others with the same illnesses, it's fairly common...

Sorry, gotta go, the 'FOG' is setting in...
  6. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Angel, don't know for sure, I have fibro, my husband has ulcerative colitis, both totally under control.

The only connection that I'm aware of is, most fibro people suffer from IBS, or celiac disease, which you need to avoid wheat gluten for these issues.

Ulcerative colitis, same thing, wheat gluten avoidance is necessary for good colon health.

Also, although most docs won't admit to it, but stress really plays havoc with our health, impacts greatly in fibro, I think, and also ulcerative colitis.

Some good info for your sister that I found for my husband, most people with ulcerative colitis are deficient in Vitamin K. Some of the drugs they put you on for ulcerative colitis deplete your Vitamin K even further.

I have my husband on alvoe vera juice and he takes alfalfa juice in his water daily. His ulcerative colitis is totally under control. His doctor is amazed.

My IBS was helped by getting rid of parasites, also avoiding wheat gluten and dairy products. The casein in dairy products also can destroy those little villi in your intestines. this is the problem with the wheat gluten, too. Once those little villi are destroyed, your intestinal health becomes compromised.

Avoiding wheat gluten and dairy can bring the villi back to health, restore your intestinal functtion.

Also L-Glutamine can help the process along, too, in restoring the villi.

Hope this helps

Sbilek
  7. angellize69

angellize69 New Member

thank you everyone for your help, i will be passing on the advice to my sister who is suffering alot with her u/c.
    all the best to you all.
    ally and laura x
  8. jenemc

jenemc New Member

I have fm and crohns and my pcp told me that sometimes ppl with crohns will and can get fm.

jennie