Any Luck With Drugs For Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimmyTN09, Jan 16, 2006.

1. kimmyTN09

kimmyTN09 New Member

Hey all,
    My doc just put me on celexa for minor anxiety and stress, but it is making me soooo sleepy and spacey! I am also concerned about the possible sexual side effects.
    I would like to know what is working well for you.

Thanks so much,
    Kim
  2. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Xanax, when I get to anxious.
    The Vistril I take for the Histamine problems that can come with the FMS, also is good for anxiety.

Hope your med helps you, I'm very pleased with mine, after years of trying this and that, ya know. ;o)
    Hug's,
    sharonk
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I suffer with cfs and anxiety big time I would be non functional if it wasn't for xanax..I take it everyday...25mg and can take up to 4 a day...Have been on it 4 years and not had to increase my dosage..

Good luck please get it under control fast..I let my go to long and now have depression and agoraphobia...

4. kimmyTN09

kimmyTN09 New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. Do you have any side effects with Zanax? I want something to take the edge off, but not make me feel like I am zoning out. Also, I can't take any type of med that increases my heart rate.

Thanks,
    Kim
  5. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Kim....I have never taken any anxiety meds until this past week. I weaned myself off of Cymbalta (probably too fast) and have felt at times like 100+ bugs were crawling inside of me, all over my skin. I wanted to jump right out of my skin!

Xanax has been a lifesaver. I only take it as needed (less each day) and haven't noticed any side effects.

Best of luck to you....B
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

the first thing that comes to my mind is that most docs wouldn't start with an ssri for "minor anxiety and stress." or maybe they would these days. i'm not a huge fan of the indiscriminate use anti-depressants, especially high doses. are you on the lowest dose? how long have you been on the celexa?

with the above caveat, i have to say that lexapro (closely related to celexa) helped me tremendously with my anxiety and panic disorder, but the first couple weeks were a bit rough. one day in particular, i was climbing the walls. for me, it made me more anxious at first (our receptors aren't accustomed to the added stimulation), then i went through the spaced out stuff as my body began to adjust, and finally arrived at a place where the drug worked almost transparently in my system. most people don't give anti-depressants enough to time to do their work. unfortunately, the sexual side effects are the one thing that will not resolve with time. we're pretty much stuck with those. though they don't seem to be as bad with celexa and lexapro as with some other anti-depressants.

for minor anxiety, you may want to go with the other suggestions provided here and try a benzo like valium or talk to your doc about buspar, which works for some and not for others, but has the lowest side effects profile of all the anti-anxiety drugs.

eddie
  7. km

km New Member

I TAKE KLONOPIN FOR FIBRO AND FOR ANXIETY.
    ALOT LESS SIDE EFFECTS THAN THE OTHER
    BEZODIAZIPINES.km
    GOOD LUCK!!
  8. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

Lexapro has really helped me with anxiety and the panic attacks I was beginning to have. Rheumy put me on low dose to help with FMS pain (which it has not) but the effect I noticed was a great lessening of anxiety on a daily basis. I still take 25 mg Xanax on occasion when I need extra anxiety relief. That amount does not leave me zoned out or feeling down.

Hope you get some relief.

Hugs
    Sylvia
  9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I take Effexor XR for depression and I take Klonipen and Ativan for anxiety. I need less and less as I seem to be getting better...not the Effexor, but the others. They have worked well.

I wouldn't think that an antidepressant would be the first response to anxiety. Just my opinion.

Sue
  10. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

kimmytn09:
    I use Ativan four times daily. It is fairly mild for me but does ward off my anxiety. And with these disorders who would not have some anxiety. I am also on Lexapro, which I think is a cousin to Celexa, which I was also on.
    At a low does I can tolerate either one: higher doses, not so.
    I do not think there is anything wrong with a mild (or major) tranquilizer if it is needed.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  11. greatgran

greatgran Member

I had no side effects at all from xanax..I think it depends on the dosage..start with a very small dose and see what happens..

I always have side effects to most meds and couldn't believe it when I had none with xanax..At first I was afraid to take them so started with a half a pill of .25 which is the lowest dose.. Then worked up to the .25mg and may anxiety is so bad I do much better taking them everyday..
    I just wish I had started them sooner and on a regular dose. I have tried several antidepressants but couldn't tolerate the side effects and actually caused anxiety attacks...

Good luck,
    greatgran
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

I tried the celexa and couldn't function and that was on a 5mg..which I broke the pill in half..I think that was the dose..
    I only had to take it a couple days to find out I couldn't function at all on it..
  13. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I've had some chronic health problems and the coping has been a real bear. Even before I got sick I had a nervous disposition, but either way I've taken a lot of meds for anxiety and depression since 2001.

My impression is that you have to experiment sometimes and find one you can tolerate. Most of the ones in the SSRI family (Zoloft, Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil), make me jittery and gives me insomnia. Same with Effexor and Cymbalta.

I've taken several benzodiazepines (Valium, Klonopin, Xanax) but tolerances can develop even after 3 months (especially if they are taken regularly). I'd try to avoid these unless absolutely necessary.

All in all, if you need a med for this, it may just require some experimentation and find one that works and has minimal or no side effects. It just varies from person to person how effective they are as well as how they are tolerated.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Such as, RLS, muscle spasms, tinnitus, racing brain, sensory overload, insomnia? These can all be related to a slight state of seizure. Klonopin has worked like a miracle for me for these symptoms. It is an antiseizure med. The slight state of seizure is very common in people with these illnesses. SSRI's tend to exacerbate symptoms related to the seizure state.

Love, Mikie
  15. kimmyTN09

kimmyTN09 New Member

A big THANKS to all of you for your replies.
    I've had fibro for almost 17 yrs. The extreme stress and anxiety has come on slowly. It runs in my family as my dad is a chronic worrier. There really is no underlying problem, it's just the little things that overwhelm me. I've never experienced panic attacks.
    My doc chose Celexa because he believes fibro is a chemical imbalance, not a rheumatological problem. He says that anxiety is from the same cause and that I am not getting enough seratonin in my brain. He also wanted to try the Celexa because it comes in generic form and wouldn't be as costly as other drugs. I have only been on if for a few days. He said I could take it at night before bed, but I am wondering if the effects will wear off by the next day. I need help for my stress in the day, not at night when sleeping. I also take tramadol when I have extreme pain. I have also switched from trazodone to lunesta for sleep. I know it will take some time to find the right formula for me.
    I really appreciate all of you taking the time to respond to my questions. I wish you all a great, pain free evening!
    Take Care and Lots of Hugs,
    Kim
  16. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

the celexa will definitely NOT wear off overnight. it's half-life is 35 hours and takes 6-8 days to completely leave your system. the ssri's work a lot differently than the benzos like xanax and valium, which provide immediate relief than wear off. the ssri's take anywhere from a couple days to a month to really hit their stride in your system. you need to give the drug a little time to reach a steady state before you'll know for sure how well it will work for you long-term.

eddie
  17. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

XANAX FOR SURE!!!

PIRT
  18. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

XANAX FOR SURE!!!

PIRT
  19. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I once was tried celexa years ago for depression/anxiety problems, but it didn't work for me (can't forget the exact side effects).

Now I take Xanax for panic attacks and anxiety related muscle spasms and pain. It works a bit like a muscle relaxant. I use it occasionally on an as-needed basis and it works really well like that because unlike SSRIs and other meds, it's fast acting- you don't have to wait weeks for it's full effects, just a matter of minutes.

I always take the smallest amount I need, that way I can maintain my mental faculties and also not have too much of it in my system. It can be a very safe drug if taken responsibly and carefully. :)

Lots of SSRIs and other anti-depressants have anti-anxiety effects (like celexa). Remeron (an AD) that I take for sleep/CFIDS issues also has eased my anxiety a great deal as well. But I would only look to these meds if anxiety is very high and making it really hard to function normally (at least that's my personal philosophy as meds as last resort) And I haven't had any negative effects on my sex drive from that drug (although it's already different because of my illness).

:)
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

By the slight state of seizure many of us suffer, according to Dr. Cheney, SSRI's, and most likely, SNRI's, will only exacerbate the symptoms. These symptoms include anxiety, muscle spasms, sensory overload, racing brain, insomnia, and tinnitus.

I take Klonopin and it has been a God send for me. You can read the sister article to this one on Klonopin in the Library here. You do a search on Cheney and it will bring up a list of his articles. The article on Klonopin is on the third page of articles.

Love, Mikie