Any MDs sympathetic to the pain of Fibro in Grand Rapids, MI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Superl0ser, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. Superl0ser

    Superl0ser New Member

    Are there any regular MDs in the Grand Rapids, MI area that treat Fibromyalgia with narcotics. My doctor will only prescibe anti-inflamatories, but nothing for the pain. I am finding most, doctors disregard the debilitating pain I suffer in my head and neck, and widespread pain. The only thing that I have found that helps me is Vicodin, but my doctor will not prescribe it. I am on anti-depressant, prozac and ativan. I have tried Ultram, but it was not effective. Right now I am taking Merogian, but i am just trying that right now. I am also muscle relaxers.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2005]
  2. fivesue

    fivesue New Member

    Let's see if someone who lives there knows...this needs to go around again. I surely hope you get a response!

  3. JLH

    JLH New Member

    you can just edit the title to this post, and maybe someone from that area will answer.

    Good luck in finding a doc who prescribes narcotics for fibro!

    My doc is sympathetic to the pain o fibro, but says that's not the standard protocol for fibro--something like Ultram or Ultracet is more appropriate; however, he prescribed Lortab for me for my back problems. I have a ton of stuff wrong with my back and I also have a pinched nerve in it now which is causing horrific pain.

    When I do take the Lortab for my back, I think he is correct because it just takes the edge off the back pain and doesn't even phase the fibro pain.

    Hope you find a doc and something that helps your pain.

  4. jaltair

    jaltair New Member

    One of the posts said that it isn't usually the protocol to use narcotics with FMS, and that's correct. You didn't say what meds you were taking, but I'd recommend asking about a prescription for something like Ultracet. It's very effective. In addition, at times something like an anti-epileptic taken with an anti-depressant is helpful in pain relief. I take Ultracet, Neurontin, and Cymbalta. These seem very effective for my pain.

    Warm wishes, Jeannette
  5. 69mach1

    69mach1 New Member

    my siuster used to live in grand rapids michigan, moved back to battle creek aobut one year ago. i currently live in novato california, north of san francisco about 19 miles. i grew up in battle creek and used to doing my shopping in grand rapids. i don't miss the cold.

    anyways my sister used to work for the big health system out there and i'm having fibro fog right now. but its lke all over grand rapids there. hmo hospital. and my best friend and her daughter work for the same hospital, one in medical billing and one at a doctor office. that was in july of this year. and my best friend had cfs and her daughter was having similar problems and she was only like 24 years old.

    my sister has problems as well and i know she was seeing physical pain doctor through the place sje worked at.

    she now is working in the E.r. room in battle creek hosipital . the best i can do is maybe get message to them and maybe they will get back to me.

    i would suggest to request a rhuemy and a psychiatrist for meds as well. i don't know if you suffer from depression/anxiety, which not unusual for us/ not saying our crazy because you are not.

    another thing to do is take an epson salt bath and use tiger balm. and maybe your doctor will order a tens unit for you. they have some great anti=depressant out that help w/pain. it is trial by error. will i need to quit typing here for my hands are swelling and i had cortizon shoved in my elbow last thursday/ will try to get some sort of answer for you. and also maybe doctor may be willing to prescribed some tylenol #3. just until you can get something in the mean time. and try the cymbalta some people have had great respnses to.

    hugs for you



    AUNTPICKLE New Member


    I live near Grand Rapids but I have a doctor in Lansing that kinda helps. But no heavy drugs. Anyway I just saw an article in the paper about a Dr Leep in Hastings that deals with Fibro. I have been to this office for knee and shoulder problems. So maybe you can give them a try.

    I am thinking about it.

    Let me know if I can be of help
  7. scrapkat

    scrapkat New Member

    Dr Growney is out of Grand Rapids and is great with FM but he is a pain specialist not a regular MD. He also has a clinic in Holland - I've been seeing him since July and he really listens and is open to relieving your pain. Hope this helps. BTW- I'm in South Haven.


[ advertisement ]