Any meds out there to keep you awake?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Aug 31, 2002.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Hey yall!
    Me again!
    Now that I have my meds and my pain is getting under control again, I want to sleep, sleep, sleep. Anyone taking any meds to help keep you awake?
    To update: I am now having a flare and uncontrollable shaking. I was getting out of bed this morning and I felt a sharp twinge in my lower back and my legs started shaking violently! Boy if it is not one thing it is another! Any suggestions?
    Also, Thank God I am going for that EMG Tuesday, my cubital tunnel is bad!! I can't even feel the keys on the keyboard under my fingers. But at least my pain is better.
    Love to all!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  2. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Hey yall!
    Me again!
    Now that I have my meds and my pain is getting under control again, I want to sleep, sleep, sleep. Anyone taking any meds to help keep you awake?
    To update: I am now having a flare and uncontrollable shaking. I was getting out of bed this morning and I felt a sharp twinge in my lower back and my legs started shaking violently! Boy if it is not one thing it is another! Any suggestions?
    Also, Thank God I am going for that EMG Tuesday, my cubital tunnel is bad!! I can't even feel the keys on the keyboard under my fingers. But at least my pain is better.
    Love to all!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I wish I had an answer for you! I had fatigue for three days, and would have loved something to keep me awake!

There are many drugs that can be prescribed for that, but I am not familiar with the. I was always trying to sleep, before I started getting fatigue!

I am sure others will help you with this.

I sure hope you get some help for that numbness. Good luck with the doctor.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have a question for you first. Are you sleeping well? Do you awaken feeling refreshed? If the answer is no then the first thing you need to work on is getting a good night's sleep. If the answer is yes I would suggest that you discuss this with your doc.

There are several different meds and also supplements that can help you have more energy. Sometimes they can backfire, though. They may give you energy, but prevent you from getting the rest you need during the day. If that happens you need to look for another solution.

I have both CFIDS and FMS and deal with fatigue on a daily basis. The first thing I do for this is rest regularly. Every afternoon I go to my room, close the door, turn off the phone and lie down to rest. Most days I fall asleep. I usually rest for between one and two hours.

In addition my doc has recently started me on massive doses of B-12 injections. That is also supposed to help with the fatigue. I think it is a little early to make a decision as to whether or not they are helping my situation.

Sometimes drugs are not the answer. Sometimes lifestyle changes are necessary for you to have maximum energy and minimal fatigue.

Barbara
  5. jaysie99

jaysie99 New Member

Top researcher, Dr. Robert Bennett, suggests that a medicine called Provigil may help the fatigue of CFS/FM.
    You can search for it by name and get a lot of info.

Take good care,

Jaysie
  6. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

is hard to pull off with the sedation of our meds. Some neurologists prescribe Provigil or Pemoline or even Ritalin. These can be helpful, but your doc needs to know all about your sleep(a test for sleep disorder can be very helpful). Hope you conquer the fatigue--I still haven't. I have a very unusual metabolism: amphetamines make me sleepy! Go figure, I can't and neither can my doc! Al
  7. maxtout

maxtout New Member

....is what my neurologist gave me to help with my constant fatigue, but after being on it for a week, I had to quit it. That medication just made me feel jumpy and like I oughta move around constantly, but I still felt extremely tired and sleepy. When I did quit fighting the urge to move and finally lay down, I would go right to sleep.I was hoping it would make me feel alert and like I had more energy, but it didn't. Just made me feel weirder than usual and really aggravated the acid reflux problem. My concentration got worse and my stomach hurt constantly. I was doing alot, but not staying focused on one thing; bouncing from task to task. I was willing to try it, because I had read on this message board that someone else has tried it and it really helped them. I guess my body just can't handle the drug.
  8. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I take 600mgs of Provigil. The first week I was on the medicine I was jittery. But after a week that went away. My doctor had me slowly build up to 600 mgs. It has made a world of difference for me. It has helped with my depression too, because the fatigue was causing me to be depressed!!
  9. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

it. We agree with Al and others on the other one to.

Good luck, Kim and Gary
  10. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

Been on 200 mgs. for about 2 weeks.I do not feel like I am going to fall asleep constantly and I find it hard to be in a bad mood when I take it.Hope it lasts and hope my body catches up with all the things my mind wants to do now.Tracey
  11. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi Theresa,
    My doctor tried two different sleeping pills, Ambien and Tramadol, in an effort to get me sleeping an night instead of dropping off while I was working. They both had me absolutely wired for at least 6 hours. I asked him if I should try them in the morning so I could stay awake while I was at work, but he thought that would probably not be a good idea. I have been officially retired since yesterday, so I guess I can sleep when I feel sleepy instead of when the clock says I should.
    When my muscles start to spasm, I find the most helpful thing I can do is to soak in a hot bath with some epsom salts. It seems to help me with both the pain and the spasm, especially if I pop a couple Flexoril before getting in the tub.
    Is an EMG that test where they poke all those disgusting needles into your arms and run electricity through them? If so, I had that done several years ago and the technician decided I was "uncooperative" when I offered to throw her through the 4th floor window if she put one more needle in me. Yuck!!!
    Best of luck to you,
    Kathryn
  12. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Boy oh boy, betwen teaching others that there are times pain medication is a necessity we now must teach that there are situations where a medication to help again excessive fatigue is the order of the day.

We are not drug seeking folk; just trying to live as normal a life as we can.

I was like Allen. The Adderall and Ritalin family of meds put me to sleep! Reverse action. Then came provigil.

Provigil is in the family of analeptics. I just started and was on 100mg. for about 8 days, and now have been on 200mgs. a couple of days; go back to doc Wens. for follow-up. Don't know if he will up the med or not. I had to print out a couple of abstracts of the med, as he was not familiar with it...he chatted w/the pharmacist I use and the pharmacist gave encouragement and off we went.

My biggest complaint of other CNS stimulents was the depression afterwards; so far there is none of this with Provigil. I am hopeful this will bring life back to my bady and soul. Love Lil'
  13. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I have tried many sleep aids--Ambien--wake up after about 5 hrs; Trazadone and Amytriptyline--no help whatsoever.
    I have found Remeron to be a blessing. My prescrip is for 30 mg soft tab. I take a 1/4 of a tablet at night and have the very best, sound, undisturbed sleep. Then in the morning I take 600 mg of Provigil and have found incredible relief. I am also diligent about eating lots of protein and vegetables and taking supplements.
  14. sheelanagigs

sheelanagigs New Member

dear teresa, yes, for many, Provigil works great. I, however, am not one of those people. A number of MD's who work with PWC's suggest amphetamines, with Dex being the first choice of Tietelbaum. COQ10, sublingually, also helps many. Also B12 injections, IV vitamins, and Gamma Globulin injections help many. Thyroid and adrenal replacements are just the thing for many and are suggested highly by Dr. Tietelbaum. DHEA and testosterone have helped some.

The thing that worked for me was GHB, now illegal in the US and many other countries and I have no source for it. It was wonderful! I felt like a human being vs a slug and even though I still had symptoms and had to take really good care of myself, etc., I felt as close to "normal" as I have felt since diagnosis in 85 or 86. Since 1990, when GHB was taken off the US market, I am exercise intolerant, have gained 48 pounds, feel exhausted most of the time, have cognitive fuzziness (Piracetam helps a lot) am in constant pain, have the libido of a cement block, and sleep without feeling refreshed upon awakening.

So blessings and good luck in your journey.
    sheelanagigs
  15. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Tramodal or Ultram will "wire" just about anyone. Our docs where I work tell us this all the time. I took Ultram for years with excellent results, even at night, but I hardly ever sleep anyway! I had to D/C the Ultram due to horrendous sweats!
    I wish I COULD sleep....even Oxycontin, Vicodin, Soma, Atarax don't make me sleep. The best I've used is Ambien, but it stops being effective for me after a few weeks.

Be well,
    Kady

The shaking is something I've never experienced and I thought I'd had it all!
    Hope you find relief soon!
  16. selma

selma New Member

Hi,

Have you tried NADAH don't know what it stands for, but is like a thyroid stym. It can be bought probably on this site's store. Most use 10mgs.. It may take a while to work. Good luck.

Love, Selma
  17. sweetladyjane

sweetladyjane New Member

Hi,

Persons who respond to amphetamines with sleepiness are usually those who have had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder-from birth, whether diagnosed or not. I have it. I have used various meds in the amphetamine family. Our neurons fire, but not just across the gap to the one that needs stimulating, but to too many nerve endings at once as if the neurotransmitter were leaking all over instead of shooting to the nerve ending needing stimulating. So...we feel like radios tuned to several stations, staticy, not tuned in, over-stimulated. We take an amphetamine and then the chemical causes the neurotransmitter to have the "oomph" to hit the mark, resulting in focus on one nerve, one need, one issue, one task. But, it seems this artificial focus relaxes us as it cuts out the "static" and we get sleepy. I find that it is a balancing act to use the right med at the right dose on a daily basis. Narcoleptics (persons who fall asleep uncontrollably) use Ritalin to stay awake. I get too sedated if I take too much, but what is the right dose to focus on a tough task like paperwork one day may mean napping and no productivity the next. Metabolism isn't an issue, neccessarily, that I'm aware of. I suggest looking at your library or school parent resource center for videos on ADHD and adult ADHD. Thomas Phelan has good ones. It seems to me most of the people I know with Fibro have ADHD in the family. Maybe the connection is sleep disorder. Hope this helps. Jane
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2002]
  18. herblady

herblady New Member

i haven't tried them myself, though i intend to. my daughter told me about them. after she had julia, she used them for a while to keep her energy up, she said they worked well and she didn't feel bad from them either. she got them from vitamin warehouse, i believe it is a chain store so you might have one in your area. cindi
  19. hbic

hbic New Member

20. hbic

hbic New Member

Dr. has me taking Amitryptaline? and Cyclobenzaprine. One in the morning the other in the evening. Both of them Knock me out cold. Sleeping 18 of 24 hours a day. Ofcourse Im not feeling any pain... IM COMATOSE!!!! Ive stopped taking them both every day, and now taking each every other night before bed. Not doctors orders. Im thinking of changing Rhuemies anyways.. I dont seem to be getting anywhere with this guy. Jeez, this is so frustrating. He wants me to take this coping skills class, because he thinks it will "cure" me. 2 hours of sitting. I cant do anything for two hours. But hes not listening to that. He tells me, "Fibromyalgia patients are notoriously unreliable." Thanks, I feel better about myself all ready, Doc. Sends me to a physical therapist who thought that fibromyalgia was a correctable spinal problem. And who cant do anything for the pain my legs. Neither my PCP nor my Rhuematologist will help me with SSI. Too much hassle or dont believe its neccessary. Never mind that I have two kids I have to feed and clothe and house. Im not asking for forever, Im just asking for enough time to get better, so that I can go back to work. Maybe further my education while Im working on my health.