Any members here have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kat_in_Texas, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Just wondering if anyone here has PCOS? My 23-year-old daughter has it, she was dx'ed about 4 years ago. Now that she has graduated from college and is out on her own, I worry more about her taking care of herself. She lives about 300 miles away from us now and is no longer covered on our health insurance which makes it harder for me to "nag" her about going to the doctor annually and monitoring her PCOS.

To be honest, I don't know much about PCOS at all. Everything I've read seems vague or so technical that my fibro-brain can't absorb it. Searching on the internet is so overwhelming for me sometimes and I just quit. (I think I'm A.D.D. in addition to having FM!)

Anyway, I wish I had a plain and simple explanation of this thing. I know that it can cause infertility and that scares me for my daughter's sake. She has been on birth control to regulate her cycle but other than that she has not been on meds for this. The problem is I don't think she's taking the birth control pills regularly, partly due to not needing it for the actual birth control part but also because she doesn't seem to grasp the importance. If she was still here under my wing, I'd make sure she took them!

Guess I'm just sitting home worrying this cold night, being a crazy mom. Venting as much as anything.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with PCOS that you might share with me??

Kat

2. Kidsdoc

Kidsdoc New Member

Hi Kat,

I actually have PCOS. You can check out more info on it by going to www.soulcysters.com. They are a great group of women and will be able to provide you and your daughter with a lot of information. The biggest thing she will have to watch is her diet because it can cause insulin resistance for her. I hope this information will help.

Debbi
  3. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

thats so weird i just finished posting to someone else about my pcos and when i was done went to check for new posts and there you are!! one week ago i had my first laser surgery appt last week for facial hair which is caused by the pcos it was terribly painfull hurt so muched i tensed up every muscle in my body when it was done i sat up and started twitching jerking movment really they had to get me juice me tesing up so badly and being so scared was too much for my little body.the worst pat is it takes 2 to 6 treatments but i will go back even though i have been in terrible pain since cuz the hair has started falling out!! it is terrible embarrasing to be a girl and have facial hair. any how i am now 27 I did not start my period till I was 15. My periods were regular for awhile then they started spacing out one time i did not have one for 6 months. they had to give me a med to get it they then put me on a bunch of differernt birth controls they all made me irratble i gave up on them priods came every couple of months and then stopped again this time for a year. then i started getting cramps one afternoon was soo excited later that night there was only a little blood followed by lots of pain my bf rushed me to a hospital. i was so scared they then found a cyst had ruptured such a painfull thing. that is when i was diagnosed.they did an ultrasound and found they were very small not much they can do except give me birth control which is to regulate periods which should keep them from getting large and rupturing your daughter does not want this it is very painfull she definately should be taking her birth control. my doc never told me much about just that it is common and told me when i wanted to have kids to let him know and we will talk about methods but many women cant have kids. well i was off my birth control then all the sudden i got my period the next month i had cramps but no period and i got my miracle baby. i started reading up on pcos cuz i wanted to see how it would affect my pregnancy i cant remember alot right now cuz i had to take percocet but i found out it does something with the insulin in your body so if someone was trying to get pregnant insulin shots could help them The downside this also means it can increase ones chance of diabetes. It also incease your chance to develope cervical cancer your daughter should be aware of this as i said i was told nothing by my doc I know more but it has escaped me right now sorry i rambled the percocet does that sometimes I will come back with more info think I will refresh my memory some hope i was helpful...........kim
  4. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Thanks so much for your replies. Debbi, I am going to go check out that website right now! Kim, wow it sounds like you've really been through the wringer. My daughter does not have some common symptoms such as facial hair but she has been considerably overweight all of her life and she has really suffered with acne since her late teens. I read that both of those go along with the PCOS.

You have both helped me, thanks again!

Kat
  5. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I have PCOS, the things that I have had with this is irregular periods (about 3 a year) which made getting pregnant difficult for me so I had to go on fertility meds
    weight issue, but since I have been on Metformin this has helped my weight. facial hair as well..nothing major. and I think that is pretty much it. I hope that you get all the answers you are looking for. Ann
  6. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

From what I can gather after reading on the site that Debbi recommended, I realize that my daughter actually has very few symptoms after all. I don't remember what she said prompted her doctor to diagnose PCOS in the first place, but I think it was just her weight issue and the acne. Those don't necessarily point to PCOS in my opinion. Her cycle is a little erratic but I do know that she had 10-11 periods a year all through high school.

Anyway, I'm still learning and now I will have a little more knowledge to discuss this with her in more detail.

Thank you so much!

Kat
  7. taxi

taxi New Member

Hi kat
    ive had pcos since i was in my early 20 yes hairy face,weight gain,irregular periods and of course the ever lasting mood swings.i am also the mother of two teenage girls who also have this condition.If she doesnt need the pill for birth control but just to regulate and she suffers no mid or period pain,it is up to her to take it or not.But if there is pain the pill will lessen the symptoms and make it bearable as well as any mood swings that she has.Becouse PCOS also affects the amount of hormones we have in our system,she may also feel pre-mensrel most of the time.i hope this has help you.
  8. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

and i highly recommend her buying the book 'the savvy woman's guide to pcos' by elizabeth lee vliet md