Any more Veterans here?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ridge-Runner, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

Anyone have any experience with Disability options through the VA. I was just dx with CFS by the VA, but have not asked the Dr if I could be evaluated for a non-service related disability. I think I will in a couple weeks.

I currently have a 10% service related disability,for a spinal fusion done when I was on active duty. am retired from the Airforce.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
    Keith
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2005]
  2. lazygrant

lazygrant New Member

go to your local VA office. i'm not sure what state you live in, but im sure every state has a VA Office. I have a few persian gulf era vets that are receiving a combined rating of 100% for different exposures. fibro being one of them. you have to prove this disability started in service, that could be done with any service medical records, if you ever had sore throats while in service, fatigue, stomach problems, etc. etc. Oh, im a VA Director in a county facility. I suffer with cfs and fibro, and am not a veteran. good luck to you, and thank you for serving!
  3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I wanted to wish you well, but I'm not a vet. Also, are you sure the CFS is not related to your service? A lot of people who have it cite Post Traumatic Stress as what triggered it. Just a thought. Take care!

Francie
  4. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

Just wanted to thank you all for answering my post. It helps to be able to get different ideas from a wide variety of backgrounds.
    Again I'm very glad I found this forum.

Thank Again, Keith
  5. Gabor

Gabor New Member

Thanks for posting! I am at 30% service connected as of 2004 for PTSD and trying to get more..Diagnosed post-traumatic, Fibro/CFS, major depression, back & neck DISH disease by both va and civilian Doctors.. All the Doctors state that I am unable to work as of apr.15,2005 and i am still having a hard time getting my 100% rating.. I have also just applied for SSD and am waiting for the outcome.. I have been refused SSD a few times since 1995. Now I have more Doctors behind me and I am 54 years old and may have a better chance.
    I guess one should only apply for one condition at a time with the military, as I got shot down on my second attempt to up my percentage. I applied for both fibromyalgia and increased PTSD.
    I did not know about non-service connected money.. How does that work? Vets can get help with their service connected claims at no cost through the "Military Order of The Purple Heart" located in most VA hospitals. There are also other organizations that will help at no cost. Ask for information about free Veteran help at your VA clinic or hospital.
    Would appreciate any information on non-service connected pension. All the best - Gabor
  6. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

I did a little more research, I had just heard that there was such a thing. So I was also looking for info on non-service related. I found some info at the VA site under VA Pension, seems there is such a thing with some guidelines; wartime served,100% disabled and limited family income etc.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/#BMN

Some good info at

http://adapfund.org/2005_va_health.htm

Looks like my family income is too high.
    Hope its ok to post these addresses.
    Sincerely,
    Keith
  7. Gabor

Gabor New Member

Thanks for the info!!! Gabor