Any NY Teachers get Disability Retirement?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by horselover2, Jan 1, 2007.

1. horselover2

horselover2 New Member

Help - another new year and i'm still ill. i think i have finally realized (but not accepted) that i am functioning at the best level i can, and am at it because i don't work.
    i have been hoping that somehow i would be well enough to return to teaching, b/c i really loved it and miss it.
    but, now i think i have been foolish for not applying for disability retiremnet thru the NYSTRS.
    not sure if i will get it, was hoping someone out here had some advice.
    i have cfs and fm. i afraid to do this b/c it means admiting defeat to this illness, but my family needs the money. i am entitled to it, and why should we be scrapiing by or my husband have to find another job, if i can get approved for the retiremnet disabliity.
    well, any advice appreciated.
    i feel depresed for the new year!
    i hate all this being sick stuff, just want to be "normal"
    ben procrastinating over this for awhile, makes me soooooooo sad to do it.
    thanks
    anne
  2. sturg1

sturg1 New Member

Hi Anne,
    Not from NY, but from California. I applied in July, first day of full disability. I too have FM and CFIDS.

Just received my rejection letter on the 28th. I'm going to appeal and am sitting down to write the letter right now.

I haven't gotten a lawyer (yet). Might be the next step.

Good luck to you.

Like you, I fought this because I loved teaching soooo much, but I just have to admit that I'm not the teacher I used to be... I still grieve about it.

Take Care and if I can help at all by sharing my experience with you, just let me know.

Tracy
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Hello.
    I had the same feelings you are describing above about admitting defeat, etc., but letting go of my job was the best thing I've ever done for myself. It was killing me!

I taught for 17 years and have always been a worker, even when my daughter was just tiny. I found self-worth in working. My biggest fear was losing that self-worth if I threw in the towel.

I must admit, I was depressed for a time, after quitting in Aug., but now that I've adjusted to being a non-worker, I feel wonderful about it! I now wonder why I didn't quit sooner (I worked sick with fibro and CMP and degenerative disc disease for the past 4 years (also chronic migraines).

I had 3 different docs write letters for me and had quite a long medical history over the past 10 years, so I think that helped my case. I was approved for state disab retirement in 2 months, and for soc. disab in 3 months. I didn't even need to get a lawyer, although I spoke to one ahead of time just in case.

Best of luck with your journey. It really is a good thing to reward yourself with, you are worth it!!
    Mini
  4. horselover2

horselover2 New Member

hi, thank you both for your replies. i do think to myself i should have done this before. hope i didn't wait too long. i feel awful today, so weak, i have to face the reality that i need to rest many times thru the day, no way i can work like that.
    mini - you were lucky to be approved so quickly, not lucky to be so ill. i think once i start the process it will almost be a relief, i feel depressed about it, but am scared to return to work for deep down i know although i love teaching it is a tough job. i do not want to make myself worse than i am. i do identify with my job, but now that i have been removed from it for awhile, i am beginning to realize that a teacher is just a part of who i am.
    tracy- good luck to you, sorry you weren't approved, hang in there. yes, if we can chat that would be great. how do we do that??
    anne
    [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2007]
  5. sturg1

sturg1 New Member

I am pretty new here with posting. I think if I put "horselover2" in the title, then it will be easier for you to find. You could do a search for that title too to see if I posted any updates for teacher disability. what do you think?

(I don't go to the chat rooms. i get to to computer so sporadically.)

Tracy
  6. horselover2

horselover2 New Member

hi tracy-
    yes, ok.
    i think you're right, if you put my screen name in, or i put yours then we should find each others messages.
    i actually started to fill out my application before. i have to call someone at the union office to check something, but i think i should just start the process.
    i'll let you know how it goes.
    anne