Any of You Troubled With Chronic Sinusitis Since CFS/FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 4, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I honestly think if I could get rid of my sinus problems my darn DD would be so much better. I am never sure if its the sinus or the DD.

I have seen an ENT, he says sinus infection (doesn't believe in CFS) keeps giving me Ceftin which will work for awhile, then after I stop here comes the sinus thing. My GP sinus and CFS and will admit she is confussed as she tries but doesn't understand CFS, now she does Fibro but thinks there is no connection since she doesn't hear this complaint by others.

Now, I don't have discolored mucus, I do awake with a headache and have tender spots between my eyebrows, blurred vision, ear ringing 24/7 (they have since CFS) sometimes vertigo, dizziness, fatigue, body aches and off balance feeling puts me to bed. Its like a big CFS crash and that may be what it is. I can't figure out if its CFS or Sinus or both. Once I am up the headache goes away, usually.

This has been an on going thing for 8 years so I am beginning to wonder is it sinus or CFS/FM or do they all go together.

So today rather than going back on the antibiotic, I did a sinus irrigation (or tried to) with the bulb. I actually got it to drain from one nostril to another in one but couldn't the other but it did help my usual morning headache.

I also read that if you mix 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar with 16 oz. of water and sip on it daily this to would help.

Have started back on vit. C and grapeseed extract along with bufferin for the body aches, not sure what to do about the fatigue.

I did go to an immunologist was tested for allergies ( grass, mold, animals etc.) were negative. I wasn't tested for food or enviormental so feel like that was a wasted trip.

Sorry, for this long post would like to know how many can relate with the sinus thing or whatever it is. Oh, I do go back to my PA on Monday any advise on what I should tell her.

Thanks and God Bless,
  2. sunflowerxo

sunflowerxo New Member

HI Greatgran, sorry you are feeling so ill. I do have FM and for the last 3 years have had sinus colds every month with postnasal drip. Definately more now with FM than in the past. The headaches are horrible and go with it. I only had an occasional cold or so every year and since having FM, the sinus cold and headaches are monthly. I'm not sure if your dizziness is from the sinus colds or the CFS/FM, but I'm dizzy all the time daily with the sinus issues and without....
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Janet, do you take an antibiotic with the mucinex, or just mcuinex and you take it daily, how much do you take just plain mucinex or mucinex D. Has it helped you a lot. Sorry for the questions but I am desperate. Thank you.

Sunflower, Isn't this dizzness or weird head feeling horrible, how do you cope? Do you ever have to go to bed with this or just try to keep pushing?

Sorry, you have to suffer with this its no fun.

Thanks and God Bless,
  4. roge

roge Member

yes I believe this goes hand in hand with FM. I have had FM for 20 years and have had sinus issues for last 14 and it all started from sinus surgery (deviated septum - they say) and then sinus infection 1-2 months after and seemed my FM got worse after this time. I should add I have ME/CFS since 2005 after another mother sinus infection coupled with stress from my insurer for LTD took me down hard.

many with FM (and would think ME/CFS too) have sinus issues (not sure if allergies, fungal, bacterial or viral) or even vasomotor rhinitis contributing due to the CNS involvement or all the above or any combo of the above. I like you often think maybe it is the FM migrating to the sinus and it isnt actual sinusitis (inflamed sinus) but my gut would always tell me otherwise.

anyway below is a post I made on another FM message board

I started nebulizing (converts liquid to vapor you inhale into your lungs and nasal passage) Hydroxy B12 and glutatione last March and I was battling yet another 2 month sinus infection and within a few days I could tell a difference. My usual sinus symptoms of sinus pressure, sinus headache, facial and teeth pain are improved in last 5 mths. My energy is improved (B12 I think or maybe due to improved sinus or both) and not sure if it is the cystein in the glutatione that has helped the sinus as cystein breaks up mucus or could be the glutatione is helping my immune system or maybe just the antioxidant effect of the glut is helping.

Oh, other things that seem to have been helping my sinus problems are

- daily (in the morning) steam inhalation with tea tree oil (antfungal) , peppermint oil and eculyptus oil to open up the sinuses.

- daily irrigation of sinuses with salt water

- 2 grams of buffered Vit C every day as in past I was not as disciplined about this.

- guifension - sp? (200 mg fast acting in morning) and NAC (N acteyl cystein) when needed. Both Guai and NAC thin mucus as mine is thick like glue (not normal)

- started allergy shots last march (not mainstream but with an environmental dr. - seriel end point testing) as I am allergic to mold, tree and grass pollen, ragweed, histamine.

Now I have also been doing other treatments in the last 5 mths too, ie. other various measures to boost my weak immune system as I have lymphopenia but I do think the B12 and glutathione have played a key factor in getting better control over my sinus problems.

I also have cut back on gluten around 90% in this time as well as my stool I sent to Diagnos Lab in Seattle showed SIgA antibdies to gliadin (although this could merely point to gluten intolerance and not actual celiac) as I am not sure how sensitive of a marker SIgA is for true celiac.

good luck

[This Message was Edited on 09/05/2008]
  5. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

I usually take 400mg generic immediate-release OTC guaifenesin tablets 4 times a day for my chronic sinusitis.

If I'm having a particular problem with sinus congestion, like before a cold front passes through or when the pollen count is high, I'll go up to the max recommended dose of 6 per day.

I also have had good luck using an aerosol OTC saline spray frequently to rinse my sinuses. It's more expensive, but avoids the problem of contamination and difficulty of use with other rinse methods. My CFS doctor recommended it.

I keep the giant economy size on my coffee table!

I hope you can get some relief. It's a terrible problem.

Best wishes,
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi greatgran,
    Doctors just don't keep up with things and they keep giving out antibiotics for things they won't fix, like the common cold and sinus infection.

Look up Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum at endfatigue and sign up for his free CFS/FMS e-newsletter. This week's edition is entirely devoted to getting rid of sinusitus, which is almost always due to a FUNGUAL infection, not a bacterial one. This is why antibiotics will not clear it. The newsletter is full of tons of info on ways to get rid of sinus infections. You may find the articles on his endfatigue site without having to sign up, if you don't want the newsletter.

I use a Neti Pot to keep sinus problems away, once the infection is gone. The salt in the water kills 90% of bugs of all types, and you can breathe again. You can find a Neti Pot at most drugstores and health food stores, or order one online.

Hope you feel better soon,

7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I have been bothered with chronic sinusitis since my symptoms worsened. I have had CFS/FM for sixteen years, and fought it with antibiotics, irrigation, etc. Would have to take three courses of antibiotics to get it cleared up for a while, only to have it return.

Finally, since I also would get skin infections and yeast, my doctor tested me and I have primary immunodeficiency. Had it all that time. Am in treatment and we know why the antibiotics did not work. I do not make B lymphocyte subclasses in adequate numbers and it is genetic.

One can have all the symptoms of CFS and FM with it and I think, personally, that many times the CFS and FM result from having an immune deficiency, as there are over 100 types.

At any rate, my docs are so impressed and they say, gee you are sick, and have been sick all that time. I was just as sick when they dismissed all this stuff as just CFS and FM. At least, they all can't be kind enough and solicitous enough and can't be involved enough in treating this suddenly serious problem, which I remind them all the time was just as serious when they were dismissive.

I suggest you be tested.
  8. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

sinus problems, though more frequently when I was younger. Twenty-something or so.

I always thought it was because I was raised in a smoke-filled house--both parents smoked 2 packs a day and I was always stricken with upper respiratory problems.

But it seems to be now that FM/CFS and sinus problems go hand in hand.

Love and hugs.

9. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

There are some drugs that start sinusitis also. I was on a drug for super bad heartburn, and the terrible sinus attacks came. On the papers that came with the drug, it said sinusitis is one of the side affects.

Told the doc this, and he said NO, that's not a side affect. There was a young intern listening in, and he said "Actually, it is one of the side affects". Well, the older doc just made some rude noise, and the topic was dropped.
  10. 3gs

3gs New Member

I learn more here everyday.

Chronic sinus problems who knew. Am going back on mucinex right away.

My dad suffered terribly with this and had mucus so bad in his throat he had to get a feeding tube. ENT said not to take muncinex he thought he had lou gerhigs! Wish I had a lot of this info last year.

One doc gave me a steriod nose spray cant say that it helped much.

Where do you get Grapeseed?
    Thanks for info from all Feel better greatgran
  11. Catseye

Catseye Member

This could be an indication of an overly sensitive immune system. Don't expect the immunologist to tell you what you should do. You should suspect a poorly functioning digestive system and give up wheat and dairy products. They will overwork your immune system and could keep you ill.

Google for allergies and food intolerance. I ended thirty years of sinus misery which I though was caused by cats and pollen when I quit all dairy products. It was the dairy making me sensitive to cats and pollen. I spent thousands of miserable days with a runny nose, sneezing constantly, my sinuses itching inside my face making me crazy, and taking tons of cold and hay fever medicine. It's criminal that doctors don't tell people this and that it's not on the news. Dairy also plays a part in teen acne problems.

Remember when they said that years ago? It was mentioned just once. And then, very quickly, all kinds of studies appeared to show that eating pizza does not affect acne. What a bunch of crap. It was the food companies seeing their dairy income profits plummet overnight when the initial truth came out so then they had to lie to everybody so they wouldn't cut out diary products. Same thing happened with eggs. Eggs don't add to a cholesterol problem, too many carbohydrates and free radicals are the real problem. You can't trust the people doing the studies to tell us what is healthy for us because they are directly or indirectly involved with selling us things when we are unhealthy. It's too big a conflict of interest.

best wishes

12. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Hi Great Gran,

I think there is a connection. My whole illness started with drop dead virus that coincided with getting my first sinus infection that never went away. That was 12 years ago.

My sinuses hurt always. I've just gotten used to it. And when I get sick I get the green mucous.

Sinus irrigation is fantastic. You can start with a neti pot or other methods like the one you use. I actually use a waterpik on a low setting as advised by my ent.

I don't know what the true connection is. I've kind of given up theorizing for now, but I do think there is a connection.

I hope you find some relief.