Any one else need extra anesthetic during proceedures?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by contessa, Sep 22, 2002.

1. contessa

contessa New Member

Just had my first colonoscopy done. They had to give me 2 - 1/2 times the usual dose of anesthetic to put me out. I'm wondering if that is connected to why my brain won't shut down at night and let me sleep. Even on sleep medications I only manage 3 or 4 hours. Boy, talk about being sick afterwards. Just had a 36 hour nap. (yes my doc is good at his job). Nurse said they couldn't believe it, I just wouldn't go under. I was only the second person she'd seen that got sick afterwards. They wanted to admit me but the anti-vomiting injection finally kicked in. I was in recovery for almost 5 hours. I've haven't had any kind of anesthetic before - last op was tonsilectomy when I was 6 or so.

Also, my breathing problem has been solved - asthma. The first dose of Advair and I've taken my first real breath in months.
  2. contessa

contessa New Member

Just had my first colonoscopy done. They had to give me 2 - 1/2 times the usual dose of anesthetic to put me out. I'm wondering if that is connected to why my brain won't shut down at night and let me sleep. Even on sleep medications I only manage 3 or 4 hours. Boy, talk about being sick afterwards. Just had a 36 hour nap. (yes my doc is good at his job). Nurse said they couldn't believe it, I just wouldn't go under. I was only the second person she'd seen that got sick afterwards. They wanted to admit me but the anti-vomiting injection finally kicked in. I was in recovery for almost 5 hours. I've haven't had any kind of anesthetic before - last op was tonsilectomy when I was 6 or so.

Also, my breathing problem has been solved - asthma. The first dose of Advair and I've taken my first real breath in months.
  3. PMangels

PMangels New Member

when I go to the dentist I need four times the Novacaine they would give a "normal" person. I finally told my dentist I have FM and I think he better understands why all the pain.

Love,
    Arlene
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

It was during a lumpectomy on my breast and I was supposed to be completely out. The surgery was half through and the doc said I woke up crying like crazy~~he said it about killed him because they'd given me plenty of anesthesia. He had to give me much more and I had to stay a lot longer in the hospital because of it. Scary to think I was FEELING all of that!!!!!
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had to have extra anesthesia during an endoscopy because I woke up moaning when they started to take biopsies. I assumed it was because I have been taking sedating drugs for so long to try and shut my brain down to sleep at night that I've become tolerant of them. Maybe it is the FMS itself though, and not drug tolerance.
    Kutzo
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

I have a very low tolerance to sedatives and narcotics. When I use valium for a muscle relaxant, I use 2.5 or sometimes even 1.25 mgs, and I cut my Darvocets in half. Last time I had surgery, (1985, gallbladder), I discussed this with the anesthesiologist, and also told him I come out of anesthesia rather violently and hit people (very embarrassing!), and he said he could fix all that. He did, and it was the easiest surgery I've ever come out of.

I believe other folks here have mentioned low tolerance to sedatives, also. Maybe it goes in one extreme or another with us.

Peace,
    Beth.
  7. chrissy

chrissy New Member

yes, I used to think I was a wimp for crying in the chair after the dentist started drilling and insisted that i SHOULD be numb. After 3 more injections the pain became tolerable.
  8. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

On one trip to the dentist for relatively routine procedure, took four shots of ??? (can't remember med)
    to stop me from feeling pain. Dentist told me to be
    sure to mention that I need the strong stuff.
    Secondly when I had endoscopy, I was awaken to hear
    them wonder how many biopsy plugs they had taken. I knew
    because I was awake. I couldn't tell them because I had
    the tube down my throat.
  9. wheatstalk

wheatstalk New Member

I always tell dentist I don't care if my face doesn't wake up till tomorrow, and they always give me extra shots and then ask repeatedly if I feel anything.

Then I also had a colonoscopy. They gave me 2 doses of morphine which only dulled the pain slightly. When they got done and doc was discussing results (OK) I said, I thought you said I wouldn't feel anything. He said I was only moaning. I said well, I'll be sure to scream next time. I made it home before I got violently sick which went on for 6 hours. Hope I never have cancer or anything because obviously morphine & I don't get along. Didn't do anything but make me sick.

This thread really makes me wonder about the commonly held idea that we have low pain thresholds. I think, on the contrary, that we are so used to pain that it takes more than normal to dull or block it even a little.

I also remember a long time ago when I had a D&C after a miscarriage that the epidural didn't work & I felt every scrape. I thought then that he gave it too low but now I wonder.

Interesting thread...
    Blessings,
    Chris